Collisions unrealistic

I have to say I'm absolutely loving ams the and beta with the updated AI. Very special indeed. I think I would go as far to say it's my favourite SIM now.

One thing that really bugs me though is the collisions between vehicles. They sort of bounce off each other and impacts are unrealistic. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

I've never been a big fan of AMS collision behaviour to be honest, it's probably the weakest aspect of the otherwise fantastic core racing experience for me. There's that weird behaviour where collisions between two vehicles cause the rest of the field to briefly rubberband (for want of a better word), and the fact that AI are still relatively glued to the road and in a collision with the player will nearly always come out of it better than you will. I don't subscribe to the "it's a racing simulator not a crashing simulator" arguments, collisions and crashes are part of the whole experience and it's immersion breaking when participants are just not affected in the way common sense tells you they should be.

Agreed. I would like to see crumpled bodywork, more loose wheels etc. Just overall better damage modeling in all our sims. I think, in my opinion, RF2 has the best damage model of our current crop. But I really would like Wreckfest damage levels in all my sims.

[QUOTE=""it's a racing simulator not a crashing simulator" arguments, collisions and crashes are part of the whole experience and it's immersion breaking when participants are just not affected in the way common sense tells you they should be.[/QUOTE]

Man, I couldn't agree more. I have been banging the drum for more realistic damage and collisions for years.

In fact I should have quoted your whole post as I agree with it 100%.

Shame about the AMS collisions, it totally shatters the immersion for me.

Agreed. I would like to see crumpled bodywork, more loose wheels etc. Just overall better damage modeling in all our sims. I think, in my opinion, RF2 has the best damage model of our current crop. But I really would like Wreckfest damage levels in all my sims.

Yes, Wreckfest is great. Cars with three wheels operating or literally flattened to a pancake can still drive around at 90-95% of full speed and cause more mayhem. rF2 damage varies from series to series. Most of them have completely unrealistic damage.

AMS damage has a long way to go (in the next title), but at least parts fall off and the car handling is affected fairly plausibly. The latter is the much more important element for those of us who want a serious sim.

Yes, Wreckfest is great. Cars with three wheels operating or literally flattened to a pancake can still drive around at 90-95% of full speed and cause more mayhem. rF2 damage varies from series to series. Most of them have completely unrealistic damage.

AMS damage has a long way to go (in the next title), but at least parts fall off and the car handling is affected fairly plausibly. The latter is the much more important element for those of us who want a serious sim.
I think what they were trying to say was visually it looks stunning. Wreckfest is a fun pick up and play title which would be pretty boring if it implemented realistic mechanical damage too.

Racing Sims on the other hand could benefit from the visual and mechanical damage.

Personally I'm not too fussed if Sims had damage models like wreckfest. I would love it, but I'm not fussed if it never came. I am happy with fairly basic visual damage, parts falling off, dents etc but what winds me up beyond belief is unrealistic mechanical damage and jittery collisions like in AMS.

My biggest complaint with collisions is part of what I believe Tpw mentioned in the first reply to this thread. It’s when you hit an AI car square from behind. In real life, it’s usually the car which gets hit that spins or goes off. In the sim, it’s almost always you that ends up spinning off while the AI in front of you is minimally affected.

Yeah, I know, don’t hit the AI. But let’s face it, sometimes you just don’t know that you’re braking considerably later than the AI into a certain corner until you run into the back of one of them.

I have to say I'm absolutely loving ams the and beta with the updated AI. Very special indeed. I think I would go as far to say it's my favourite SIM now.

One thing that really bugs me though is the collisions between vehicles. They sort of bounce off each other and impacts are unrealistic. Does anyone else find this to be the case?
Well, i'd rather don't make any contact. For collisions i play Wreckfest so i do not care a single bit about if collisions are realistic or not..

Well, i'd rather don't make any contact. For collisions i play Wreckfest so i do not care a single bit about if collisions are realistic or not..
I have never understood this argument. Obviously you don't want to make contact with other cars but accidents are part of racing. The whole point of a race is to get to the finish as quickly as possible without breaking your car.

So when you're on the limit and make a mistake, or indeed the AI makes a mistake, the resulting action should be realistic.

You're basically saying "I want a sim to be pretty realistic, but not too realistic".

Damage simulation should encompass all aspects of damage, some examples could be, tyre blow outs from aggressive cambers, over pressured tyres or running over sharp curbs or debris on track, gearbox or clutch failures from poor rev matching, engine valve train damage from downshifting to quickly and over revving the motor, this would be more appropriate on older and historic cars. But the list of issues for modern cars could be similar due to tech failures, this would make the hobby so much more realistic and also bring that air of unpredictability to sim racing, as in real world motorsport a failed $2 part can cost you plenty on race day!!

I don't mind the damage, it's fine.. there is some parts flying and you can ruin the race with 1 big hit.

But the collision detection and AI wonkily warping around is immersion breaking indeed. It's the biggest flaw of AMS, only one that truly bothers me really. Not the graphics, but this wonky collision.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back