Coaching session

He all,

Im wondering if there is a good sim racer here, who wouldnt mind to spend 15 min or so, spectating me and giving some tips on what you think is the thing i should work on the most?

I know alot about sim racing and racing in general, but there are just a few things that I would like to discuss with some good drivers.

We could join one of our servers and be on teamspeak.

Please know that im not looking for any easy way. I did lots of research about sim racing and racing in general.

Weight transfer
Smooth driving
Trailbreaking
Slow in fast out
etc etc

Would be very much appreciated!

The best way for you in my opinion would be three things:
1. Take part in the advanced academy
2. Record a video and get destroyed in here, lol :p
3. We hook up in TeamSpeak and I explain to you how to record and analyze replays + telemetry :)

For me point 3 is the most important as it's nice to have someone doing the work for you but in the end the best way it to the most effort yourself. Most quick guys don't mind spending 5 minutes on track for you and send you their data. Then you can spend time with it whenever you want and are seeing black and white where you suck.
There may be a point where you can't figure it out without the replay but most guys will send it to you when you ask nicely :)

Yes, record a video! That'll give us an idea of what you're doing beforehand, being able to rewind it to point out specific things, so on and so forth.

Knowing the theory of vehicle dynamics is one thing, being able to utilize it in real time while you're racing is another. Most drivers have learned by driving, not by reading about things online. In fact, it's impossible to truly learn those things without putting in hundreds of hours of practice.

1. Generally speaking.. you not enough aggressive when entering in curves
  2. Try to give gas a little bit before when exiting curves
  3. I think you should go a little more inside (apex) at some place
  4. You can go further on certain corners, this way you get more speed
Sorry for my retarded English haha.
By the way, if you want, send me a pm for racing on a server. The best thing is following me to see the good lines and +

Quick words from the phone:
The biggest issue is that you coast into every corner and are way too late on the throttle.

There are a lot of minor issues but the biggest one is that you need to get rid of that "pause of inputs"!
Try to brake later and keep a bit of braking longer and deeper into the turn. The car will rotate faster and you'll be able to hit the apex a tiny bit later and get back on the throttle earlier :)

1. Generally speaking.. you not enough aggressive when entering in curves
  2. Try to give gas a little bit before when exiting curves
  3. I think you should go a little more inside (apex) at some place
  4. You can go further on certain corners, this way you get more speed
Sorry for my retarded English haha.
By the way, if you want, send me a pm for racing on a server. The best thing is following me to see the good lines and +

Thanks for your input!

1. Aggressive in what sense? Just overal?
2. Yeah i can probably go on the gas a bit earlier :)
3. I really try to, but in order to be able to do that id have to break even more, or coast longer, atleast thats how it feels like.
4. Yeah i noticed as well after reviewing my replay.

Quick words from the phone:
The biggest issue is that you coast into every corner and are way too late on the throttle.

There are a lot of minor issues but the biggest one is that you need to get rid of that "pause of inputs"!
Try to brake later and keep a bit of braking longer and deeper into the turn. The car will rotate faster and you'll be able to hit the apex a tiny bit later and get back on the throttle earlier :)

Thanks for the input!

Yeah after looking at it my self, its pretty bad :) I should try a bit of trail braking.
You actually describe pretty well how it feels when i drive. I always feel like my car simply wont rotate. Right now I'm just floating and hoping i still catch the inside. But later braking and some trail breaking should give me a bit more rotation.

Thanks

Last edited:
You're driving the maserati gt4 right?
Here's how to drive it :

One thing I forgot that's special with this car: slam the throttle earlier than you'd want to and the car will rotate a bit while drifting through the corner. It's not that simple but try it and see what I mean with it :)

First rule of low power cars is that when you push the throttle at corner exit, you keep it floored, also as others say you have to accelerate earlier.
Second rule is let go of the brake pedal only if it has to move to floor the throttle (except for hairpins and the like).

If the car does not stick and goes wide, instead of trying later point of acceleration, firstly try to quicken the steering inputs mid corner and make more aggressive entry to keep the car at (relatively) high slip angle. This, combined with flooring throttle instantly, will reduce the transition time to zero and induce oversteer (which you correct with steering) keeping the car pulled into the turn all the way till exit.

Also driving smoothly is nice, but you are not exploiting dynamic loads that come from weight transfers (pedal work) and track bumps/compression. I feel like you need to be more proactive with the steering.
Instead of guiding the car around, try steering accordingly to loads on the tyres, find where the grip from dynamic loads is and then smoothly exploit it.
To give an example, try braking more straight in T3* - it will require you to almost countersteer for the duration of braking. It allows for later, harder braking with much improved entry to T4*.
Similarly, second to last corner has camber at entry and does not need slow entry transition from braking to cornering that works in previous corners. Instead you should throw it into the turn with as much momentum as possible, it won't oversteer.

* - (assuming druids is T2, idk correct numbering at Brands)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input!

1. Aggressive in what sense? Just overal?
2. Yeah i can probably go on the gas a bit earlier :)
3. I really try to, but in order to be able to do that id have to break even more, or coast longer, atleast thats how it feels like.
4. Yeah i noticed as well after reviewing my replay.

Don't wait to use gas in corner exit..exit an other guys said, these not suppose to have moments where your not on the throttle or the brake.
Be aggressive on taking the interior of the curves

Well, while there's GT4 advice being handed out, how about this one?

I sim-raced a lot in the GPL/NR2003 days and then stopped - then raced a fair bit in AC a couple of years ago, and had to stop again, so I know what I'm meant to be doing somewhat but my body doesn't remember well. Other caveat, I'm using 8 year old G25 pedals with a modded brake, and they really don't have much feel these days. Irrespective of that I'll take any criticism :)

Also I know that lap looked like something out of the BTCC, I don't usually chop the chicane *that* much. The "novice's guide" is a guide by a novice for a few other people who haven't even seen the track I'm trying to persuade into having some fun there.

If anyone else is struggling a bit with the Ginetta, turn the TC right off.

I can't really add much to whats already been said, so the best advice I could give I think is just practice, practice, practice then practice some more:thumbsup:.

We're all different and we all have different techniques and driving styles, what I feel you need to do is just develop your technique & style, experiment and see what is comfortable for you, then hone that part of your technique until it is smooth and becomes 2nd nature. This will come from practice & trying different things.

Try experimenting with your brake points, late breaking, trail braking, corner entry & exits, late & early entry, throttle lift and application, but be aware of what you are doing that was different to the previous lap, record it so your can watch it later and compare how the differences affected the car or laptime, push the car as hard as you can, sure your going to have lots of spins and off's, but in time you will get to a point were you are literally able to wring it's neck and be comfortable and in control at all times. Learning the limits is a key part of driving a particular car consistently fast imo.

Once you are happy that you have reached a point that your technique & style are where your most comfortable and in control, then start to tweak and play with car setups, there's little benefit in messing with setups if your not comfortable with your technique.

Cheers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back