City Track: street detailing

Ok, so I've created my Spa-alike track, my Suzuka-alike, my Nordschleife-alike, my Catalunya-alike, two Bahrain/desert-alikes, and even a Le Mans style endurance event-alike. I'm now onto city circuits. I've knocked up a nice little track inspired by Monaco, Long Beach, Surfer's Paradise, Singapore, etc.

My question: does anyone have any tips on how to do the street markings convincingly? When you watch a circuit like Monaco, SP, LB, Albert Park, etc, one of the main things that really adds to the sense of speed (other than super close barriers, lamposts, and tight buildings) is the way the various street markings speed by the car, and do not follow actual circuit.

How is the best way to do this in BTB? I know there is the Road XPack (very good it is too), but this doesn't really allow for driving across lines that aren't aligned to the track. I suspect the best way is to make a city grid/streets and texture it using the Road Xpack (or similar), then create a track on the city grid/streets, as opposed to making a track in the conventional sense of drawing all the curves using the track tool and adding markings afterwards.

Anyone tried a city track? Any pointers or tips to share? Much appreciated :)

Hi p00se2, am after a range of models, the sort of boats you'd see in a Marina at Monaco or Abu dhabi. Yachts, luxury cruisers, etc. Alternatively I could use images of boats as a texture background surface instead of loading the track model with lots of additional polygons. I think I've seen that technique used before. I could use one or two boat models in front of a texture surface giving the impression of many boats but with hopefully a lower hit on the track performance. Would definitely need to use alpha channels on this one.
You'd probably be better off with a 3d model boat. Out of curiosity I did a quick test and ended up with under 50 poly's, no need for transparency, add a dxt1 128x128 texture to it and your system won't even know it's there.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back