Physics Change a car Mod‘s aero drag

I am making an “upgrade” to a car. It’s a low-power car, so it’s sensitive to aero drag and weight. One of the changes is removing the glass windscreen (road use) and replacing it with a small wind deflector. This saves weight but more importantly lowers the car’s frontal area and aero drag.
I don’t understand how to reduce aero drag in an AC mod. File aero.ini has “wings” although that seems a generic term. The aero.ini file has “wings” named Body, Front and Rear. The span and chord of “Body” comport with the width and height of the frontal area of the real-world car. However, I don’t understand the difference between “Body” and “Front”, nor how to make adjustments to these three “wings” in the case of removing a windscreen. Is it reducing the surface area (via smaller Cord):
  1. On Body?
  2. On Front?
  3. On both?
Related question: are the aero lookup tables - .LUT files - specific to a car, or are they generic? Can the change I’m hoping to make be accomplished without editing the .LUT files? What software is required to edit .LUT files?

Thanks for any explanations you can provide.

In general the intended usage is body for overall body drag, and front/rear for separated front/rear lift. (centered on front splitter, rear wing) That allows tuning of front-rear aero balance in a manner similar to real cars, as a common way of measuring lift is front/rear axle loads.

.lut files are text, you can open them in Notepad++ or anything else that does ini files. Each line in the .lut maps an input value to an output value; the file itself doesn't say what either of these values means, but for aero, input is either angle or ground height ("gh"), and output is a multiplier coefficient. So for each wing to determine its overall drag, you take the area times the ini coefficient times any relevant lut coefficients.

lut should be specific to a car but are more likely to be generic.

Last edited:
thank you Stereo.
Is aero.ini only calculating the aero drag restraining force (as a function of velocity), or is it also calculating a downforce/lift (as a function of velocity) for purposes of tyre grip? Your first paragraph seems to indicate the latter, while your second paragraph suggests the calculations determine an aero-drag for each "wing", and doesn't mention a downforce. there'd need to be two calculations, one for the vector in Z (downforce) and one for the negative force vector in X/Y

What are the units used in these calculations? Are the units standard within Assetto Corsa? Is there a developer's guide for the aero, engine, suspension, brakes, etc.? I'm very new to this but eager to learn.

So the line you're looking for in aero.ini is:

CD_GAIN=0.9 ; Coefficient of drag multiplier (for easy fine tuning)

Just moving it 10% up or down will make a considerable difference.

CD is coefficient of drag, CL is coefficient of lift, same process applies to both. As a matter of convention I believe positive lift is actually a down force. Area is in square metres (or rather, it's a length and width) and everything else is dimensionless so far as I know; to get to an actual force you use the normal equation for drag/lift, which is as per wikipedia, 1/2*rho*v^2*C_D*A. The stuff in aero.ini is either A (length+width) or C_D (everything else)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea