CART 1999 AI what gives?

Is it my driving or something else?

I’ve been running the CART 1999 cars at Watkins Glen Short track (w/chicane) trying to find the limit of the car and myself before running it on tracks in less familiar with.

On completely default tunings with :
- hard tires
- abs: factory
- tt: factory
- everything else off
- manual shifting

My times: low-mid 56’s
Ai times(80+/-5): mid 53’s

Is the ai making any sort of adjustments to the setups? It says they have hard tires too but that’s all I see.

Before I get the response of slow in/fast out or proper racing line, I already understand that and am not a complete beginner.

With my current car setup, I could probably manage to find some time and get my laps down in the mid/high 55’s, but that’s going to be squeezing everything out if the car and will still not be at those 53’s.

what gives? Is it me and I’m a fool or is there something about this car’s ai or track or what?

Manual gears tested:
- t1 (2, 3) had best luck with 3
- t2 t3 t4 flat out until chicane
- t567&8 (1,2,3) had best luck with 3
- t8 sweeping right turn (3,4,5) had best luck with 3 into 4 and hitting 5 coming out of turn
-t9 (4,5) 4 seemed best
- t10 (3,4) cant decide which one i like

Maybe it’s my shifting, but I’d like to believe I’ve got a good feel for identifying untapped speed.

I've found that the faster open-wheel AIs in Assetto Corsa are kind of impossible to compete against without adding a bunch of ballast or turning down the AI to a level I feel cheap racing against. I can at least keep pace with and not completely get smoked by GT cars at the highest AI level, but when you turn on the Pedals app and follow an AI driver in an open-wheel car, you'll see they're doing gas/brake techniques that are really tough for humans to match. This isn't such an issue with stuff like the Formula Abarth, but Formula 2 and up tends to go at a pace I can't match for very long.

Though maybe I just need to Git Gud myself. :D

I've found that the faster open-wheel AIs in Assetto Corsa are kind of impossible to compete against without adding a bunch of ballast or turning down the AI to a level I feel cheap racing against. I can at least keep pace with and not completely get smoked by GT cars at the highest AI level, but when you turn on the Pedals app and follow an AI driver in an open-wheel car, you'll see they're doing gas/brake techniques that are really tough for humans to match. This isn't such an issue with stuff like the Formula Abarth, but Formula 2 and up tends to go at a pace I can't match for very long.

Though maybe I just need to Git Gud myself. :D
Thanks, I’ll have to get that pedals app and figure out how to watch them. In the meantime are they trail braking perfectly or are they using brake and gas at the same time in the corners?

Finding the best possible lap is what I am after and it’s feel like I gave up if I didn’t try to find the time. 2-3 seconds on a sub minute lap means I have some sort of issue.

unfortunately I will either continue looking for it before I quit playing altogether, or I will find it and be able to move on to another circuit and car.

Resurrecting this thread since I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately and have been doing some experimentation to make competing against AI in high power-to-weight ratio cars a bit more feasible.

The options that require the least effort would be adding restrictors and ballast to your opponents in race setup, that tended to work fairly well for me in the past.

However another option I’ve found is modifying AI.ini. There are a few options:

BRAKE_HINT determines how hard the computer is going to brake into a corner, basically controlling the braking distance. If you turn it down they’ll take corners a bit more cautiously, which can really help equalize things with light cars that handle well.

You can also turn down the percentage at which the AI downshift [DOWN] most cars have it set at 80% but taking it down a couple points will also slow down the AI’s corner entry. Slightly redundant if you’re already turning down Brake Hint, though these do different things.

You also have LOOKAHEAD which, as you might guess, determines how far the AI driver will look ahead to react. You can turn it down to make the AI a bit less efficient on corner entries and such, but I’ve noticed it’s resulted in them occasionally taking corners too fast and going wide. Weirdly enough turning this up doesn’t make a huge difference in the opposite direction.

You also have [STEER_GAIN], I’ve noticed minor changes when modifying this one but not as much as the ones listed above.

Still trying to determine how much Aero and Tyre hints really determine how the computer drives.

At most I would recommend turning these down/up in increments of 0.01 at a time, because they’re actually pretty finicky and can give you TOO much of an advantage if you take it too far.

Most of these are accessible to change and save in the ingame AI app, so if you turn on your car AI and fiddle with the options you can see how they help or hinder the computer driver. Though the best way to test it out is driving against them in track day. I adjust things until I’m able to get good competitive times, but if I’m mopping the floor with the competition/gapping them out of the corners it’s back to the drawing board.

And of course ALWAYS make a backup of your car data if you tinker with it.

I’m still in the process of testing and figuring this out, so if anyone has corrections or if I missed anything I’d love to know. :geek:

what gives? Is it me and I’m a fool or is there something about this car’s ai or track or what?
Hi,

i have finished already 4 CART 1999 Championships (custom championship mode, real tracks, except oval`s)

So far managed to win the championship only on 88% and 90%. Now trying 92%

So i can tell you CART99 Mod AI is definetly one of the fastest, additionaly the cars themself are tricky at the limit. So yes this makes the mod one of the hardest in AC against AI (i am driving more than 45 championships with diverse cars)

Additionally watkins glen (if we use the same version) is where the AI is very fast comparing to other tracks.

So yes it`s the car/track combo which makes you slow.

Finding the best possible lap is what I am after and it’s feel like I gave up if I didn’t try to find the time. 2-3 seconds on a sub minute lap means I have some sort of issue.

unfortunately I will either continue looking for it before I quit playing altogether, or I will find it and be able to move on to another circuit and car.
Have you downloaded a car setup cheat sheet? I'm no master at setting up a car, but as long as you can identify what's causing you to lose time you can correct this in car setup, correct car setup gives you more confidence, more confidence is bucket loads of lap time... And I mean, BUCKET LOADS.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back