Career / Story Mode in Sim Racing – For or Against?

If it's done well then yes not adverse to it.
With an imagination (remember those) you can do it yourself anyway...

Back in the day of Amiga's and Commodores you HAD to have an imagination.
I used to play GC F1 and made up stories and back stories etc..loved it...... i was a kid so not as bad as it sounds...
View attachment 297289
I was gonna add, it looks like the Cinemaware artists found a home;
92b3a020-1b60-4567-b65e-9d8eca806826.png

I very much doubt that Ron Dennis saw a black guy doing well at golf and thought he could pick some random black kid and he'd be brilliant at motor racing, that's very far fetched and more than a little racist. You don't just throw million of pounds at a kid under the assumption that black people are better at sports than white people.

The fact is Tiger Woods was a good golfer, Lewis Hamilton is a good driver because they put the work in.

I do think you could turn just about anybody into a decent driver with training but it's another level of dedication and talent to become the best in your field.

Glad somebody else said something...but what's even more troubling: what does Hamilton and being rich/poor/black/white have to do with a Career or Story mode in Sim racing??

Maybe it's a side quest in RD story mode to go off on as many tangents as possible. That being the case: achievement unlocked :thumbsup: :roflmao:

I want a real career mode that has proper consequences ie.crashes injuries death. Anything else is arcade.
So what you are saying is:
If you slap a wall you should get rocked sideways, if you drive into a sand-trap your seat should fill with gravel, if you blow the engine your face should get splashed by hot oil and heaven help us if you get .... well..... uhm.....

Motorsports are expensive for sure. My dad tried out for a motorsport team back in the early 80s and though apparently he was te best applicant he was unable to follow trough because they were looking for money and talent. And my father was not a poor man by any standards at the time.[/QUOTEa
Bit disingenuous that... Lewis's myth is of a poor upbringing but truth is his Dad had 3 business's but ultimately from 12 he was Ron Dennis's pet project so he had plenty of cash and support....
Ocon isn't racing in F1 anymore due to money (so proves my point)...but his parents may not be 200 million rich but they aren't poor either...
Maldonardo was backed by his government.
Even Senna (rich parents) needed money from Brazil, but at least he was humble....

To even get into karting at aged 7 you need serious investment. 100k a year upwards.
You can simply pay for better kit, training, mechanics.....on and on....

When I wrote that some drivers didn’t come from wealthy families, I didn’t mean they came from poor families either. In the case of Ocon, he comes from a middle class family and the fact that he doesn’t have a drive this season is not a question of money. There isn’t a seat for him because there aren’t enough teams. If he really needed a sponsor to get a drive, he could get one (and if he can’t, he needs a new manager a.s.a.p.)

Which brings me to my second point: let’s not confuse being born rich, like Stroll, with bringing sponsorship money. To me, a kid like Hamilton who gets McLaren support at 12 isn’t born rich, he is born with talent. Maldonado was backed by his government, yes, but that wasn’t dad’s money.

Are motorsports accessible to all? Absolutely not. But you don’t have to be a billionaire’s kid to eventually make it to F1.

It depends.

Console gamers who plays all kinds of games like Mario Bros. and drives their racing games in third-person on a game pad might love to lose their time with story lines that makes them the "center of attention" and, like the graphic of this thread shows, be "interviewed" by a programed toy... I guess if it sells... different strokes for different folks..
OMG...Sure , everyone can have his own opinion but this is, with all
these generalizations, one of the most "childish" posts i've ever read here.

I have created my own custom rfmod which includes all the drivers and teams. That way they wont be crazy random names all the time. I then use rfactor 2 log analyzer to track results. Its hard to explain, as it took me hours upon hours to work out myself. I might make a tutorial video if its something you might want.

Gotcha. I made my own mod with IMSA liveries created for GT3, GTE, and P2 cars for a fantasy 2019 season. Just waiting for the AJR and if testing goes well I'll add that as a DPi filler.

Story mode? Not interested.:sleep:
Career mode? Maybe if it can be fully customized. :sleep:
Just keep it out of the way if i don't want it. It's OK to have things tied to "achievement levels" to unlock it as did DriveClub where anything you do scores points and gets you levels, but I didn't like the way Forza forced you to do specific things to unlock cars. Boo on that.
In general I thought DriveClub, while not much of a sim, was very engaging with its "competition system", etc. Would like to see more sim-types add that in, in as convenient and detailed a way.:thumbsup:

Love how people say iRacing doesn't have a career mode when in fact it does, you start your iRacing career in the Rookie division and move up the ladder when you earn the respected licenses. Don't do well and you get demoted.
I for one welcome a career mode, I can do without the story mode however. I hope that the single player offline experience never goes away, whether it be a sim racing game or a arcade racing game or any other game for that matter.

Sim racing bigwig: "Gather round everyone, we have 1 million dollars left in the budget, should we add a story mode or remove all the bugs, improve the AI, and add more features to make it a true simulation."
Timmy: " i think a story mode would appeal to alot of the customers"
Johhny: " I say we fix everything for all our hardcore fans"
Bigwig: "Actually forget about it, I need some more upgrades for my yacht"

No. If it has a story mode, it's not a sim, it's a game. Story mode means more time and money spent to develop it, so less resources on technical side of things. And SIM should be considered a tool. Racing game however is a GAME targeted primarily for masses and entertainment, with easy controls, probably designed to be playable with console controllers and keyboard.
F1, as in screenshot, can call itself a "sim" all it wants, but input lag, handling and other issues tell otherwise.

EDIT: Before flaming me, I was referring to "story" side of things. Story is the part with characters, actors, voice acting, scripts etc.
Career is very useful for new players to gradually learn driving.

EDIT#2: Jesus, that's a lot of Disagrees from hurt F1 fanbois :roflmao:
Try living without Internet for one day

Why not. Sims don't often have it, due to their low development resources. But it doesn't make them better sims, but worse.

Racing IRL is also a sequence of races, and points gathered during a long season, not just a single race. You don't simulate that, you don't simulate everything about racing. ACC is supposed to have improved Career mode and I find that a good thing.

I don't need cutscenes or fake emails from sponsors to fill my inbox. Just a realistic championship, with it's rules, points, progression. Maybe even optional "Ironman mode" where you can't restart any race, only save by exiting the game. DNF is DNF, and onto the next race. Maybe your small team needs to pay for every damage, and can go bankrupt.

Like in flight simulators, having campaigns with different consequences for win and loss. Instead of endless skirmish against AI planes, in a meaningless dogfight. Rinse and repeat

^^This! Absolutely this!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back