Can F1 really be considered a sport??

I know this may sound crazy to some, but I've came from different sports prior to joining F1 in late 90s, and F1 a lot of times disappoints because of the way teams and FIA handles situations. Just a few minutes ago I caught myself thinking about this. Even tho I am a huge F1 fan, I am pretty sure that no other sport manipulates its own results as Formula 1 does. F1 is so political!! There are so many tricks (fuel, tyre pressure, setup, aero parts, strategy) the teams do to keep the unfavoured driver as so called number 2 driver behind the number 1, that sometimes it gets too predictable and boring (unless you are a diehard fan of the favoured ones). Doesn't it go against all the moral of what should be called a "sport"?? Is it okay to not give all the competitors on the same team an equal chance to compete?? Does F1 lose fans by doing that??

Last race in Singapore Bottas and Ricciardo couldn't understand why they lost so much pace on Q3, why their car felt so bad when it looked as if they could fight for pole. Bottas for instance was really a match for Hamilton at the begining of the season, as soon as all the bad luck happened to him and he lost a ton of points, his pace dropped massively. I remember when Massa was alongside Alonso and a lot of times he was faster through practices, but you knew it that qualifying time something would happen to him and the chance of him beating Alonso was pretty low. I remember one day Felipe couldn't understand why his car with a harder tyre was quicker in Q1 than with a brand new softer tyre in Q2. Even when he outqualified Fernando, you knew that they would do the worst strategy calls to Massa's car, and he could only really fight for something when Fernando was out. Something similar happens to Kimi in Ferrari too, when Seb is racing Kimi would get the worst strategy calls just to get out of Seb's way. Is there something F1 could do to get the 2nd drivers a fair chance, so their supporters could watch the race being sure that they can compete?? Some kind of technical inspection on each car or something.

Note: I am not saying that Bottas, Ricciardo, Massa and Kimi are better drivers than Hamilton, Verstappen, Alonso and Vettel, there is a big chance they are not, BUT, the fact that they don't get the same treatment and the same chance to compete go totally against the principles of sport. In the end, is it fair??

Recall Red Bull. Oh, hey, Renault has a new C Spec Engine! Let's give it only to our test driver Danial Ricciardo. If it goes well, we'll let our #1 guy drive it in the next race. I'm also seeing a lot of crap with Renault not liking RBR pulling out for next year, so what is their incentive now to provide a good engine? None. Which is why they didn't bother mapping Max's C-Spec engine for the expected atmospheric conditions at Singapore. Oh, engine needs more air because it's hotter and more humid? Sorry, we forgot to tell you about that one. But the works car is doing just fine. ;)

I think if you pull back the curtain of almost any sport you'll find that politics play a large part in them.
I go by the thought that any game I can physically play is not a sport, so that takes darts and snooker out of the equation.

Right on, because when a constructor's championship (and $10s of millions) is it at stake it makes perfect sense to make one car slow... :O_o:

No, drivers don't always perform at the same level - this affects everyone; Hamilton (LH has had some seriously bad dips in form at times) & Vettelle very much included.

Vettelle for example is now completely off form, probably some of the worst performances of his career this year.
It is a sport, end of.

Yes there is a lot of politics in the sport. Its very hard to manage because of that. Other sports you have 2 teams. Team A and team B. One team may be having a better season or have a bigger fan base but it can only fall one of two ways. F1 has 10 teams and 20 drivers so the fan base is divided in many ways. The Bottom line each team is a business therefore a team. Meaning everyone works together for the same goal. This goes for or against you.
I am shore you have gone to work and worked hard for a promotion only to see it go to another person and they may have used politics to turn the tables of judgement to him or her. Its Life

I think if you pull back the curtain of almost any sport you'll find that politics play a large part in them.
I go by the thought that any game I can physically play is not a sport, so that takes darts and snooker out of the equation.

I do agree with you, but I can only think of Boxing as a similar political "sport" as F1. I think the main point is that it hurts the sport massively, because it gets too predictable and boring sometimes, specially when a teammate can't fight the other, wouldn't it be amazing if they could really go for it and whatever the outcomes is, it's just how it is. It goes like this: Imagine if there's a surfing heat between 2 australians, one is fighting for the championship and the other one is not. If the one who could be champion wins the heat he still has a good chance of becoming champion, but if he loses he is out of contention. If his fellow barely tries to win and loses the heat just to help him, the other competitor and all the fans and people around the sport would say that it was an ufair move, and probably he would get some kind of penalty, because this is not what the spirit of sport is all about.
Now with F1 is even worse, because the teams themselves do that by the mistreat of the other driver, not really pushing the car forward as it should, not paying that much attention on his strategy, and really getting his car out of the way of the n.1 driver, and people would think it's okay. But most fans, who aren't diehard fans of the favoured ones would feel disappointed. Can F1 put some rules out there to prevent that?? To let everyone race at their best and just see what happens. Whoever becomes the champion, becomes the champ, that would make the title fight even more exciting, because they would be stealing points from the other all the time, and you would never know who could become champ. In Formula 1 right now you already know who are the 2 to fight for the title by mid season.

this is not what the spirit of sport is all about
I hate to say it but money and politics trump the spirit of a sport all too often these days.

Only if you had 20 teams, each running one car.
Since the constructors championship is the real prize for the teams I don't think the big three would ever agree to anything remotely like it. They already effectively scupper the smaller teams chances and with fewer engines in the mix I think they'll increase their stranglehold on F1.
Mind you I'm not a serious follower so I could be reading it wrong.

I hate to say it but money and politics trump the spirit of a sport all too often these days.

Since the constructors championship is the real prize for the teams I don't think the big three would ever agree to anything remotely like it. They already effectively scupper the smaller teams chances and with fewer engines in the mix I think they'll increase their stranglehold on F1.
Mind you I'm not a serious follower so I could be reading it wrong.
The big battle now is about promoting a brand. A F1 fan that has the money to buy a luxury car will have a Mercedes model if they like Hamillton and a Ferrari if they like Vettel. Even company's compete to perpendicularly if they produce the same product. With or without F1 its part of Bissness.

The whole purpose of motorsports from the beginning was to see who built the fastest car. Now that many disciplines are basically spec series, the focus is more on the drivers ability and the setup of the car.
For now F1 is still based on the original purpose of motor racing, and I hope that never changes. I just wish they could do more to allow other teams to catch up during the season if they don't get the design right the first time.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back