Can F1 Get Even More Boring Than Singapore?

I barely managed to stay awake through this parade. I suspect I'm not alone.
First off, Singapore is a butt-ugly circuit that only looks good from 750 feet up in a helicopter. From road level it's a succession of tight turns bordered by armco and concrete like some industrial waste viaduct. Literally all the turns look the same. There is no visual relief but for the odd aerial shot of a look at the penthouse swimming pool or a giant Ferris wheel. What a weird place.

This weekend continued with the pathetic broadcast yak-fest that was more like middle shoolboy gossip than professional commentary. Who hires these jokers?

And then there was the "action" on track. Dan Gurney allegedly quipped that "downforce killed racing." Who can dispute that?

At least the IndyCar finale at a real race track will be on this afternoon.

It was a dreadfully boring race, but overall I think the season has delivered some decent entertainment. I doubt this one goes down as an all time classic season in anyone's book unless they are a die-hard member of the "H.A.M. till I die" set...OR some serious drama develops over the next few races (not holding my breath).

One problem I think is that the season stretches on for far too long. I think 16 races is the sweet spot - get rid of some of the kruft in the schedule and introduce a bit more "do or die" spirit amongst the teams and the drivers. I also can't believe that a shorter calendar wouldn't benefit the smaller teams as well - all those logistical expenses surely hit the small teams hard whilst the deep pocket teams probably barely notice them.

As far as the Singapore GP goes, I'm sort of mixed. It's not particularly close to the top or bottom of my must-see GP list. The race sort of feels like it can go either way - it can produce some excitement and action (I like the lack of run off), but it can at times feel like an endless progression of non-descript bends.

I think the problem is the modern world. When F1 started people had no idea what was going to happen, the participants were amateurs at every level (by today standards).

These days we just know too much, why would a racer drive flat out when he knows slow and steady wins the race? The engineers can preform magic in comparison to what they could have done in the 60s, the drivers are educated and trained to a level they didn't even know was possible.

There's no way to undo that, people know too much are are too good at what they do. It's not about who's the best on the day anymore it's about who makes the least mistakes and it's the same in just about every sport, the people who lapse, lose.

As long as everybody has a good idea of what's going to happen they are going to follow the plan. Following the plan is boring, but effective. If people don't know what's going to happen they take chances and risks.

Maybe they can install sprinklers like Paul Ricard for Pirelli testing.
I thought they would do that last year. My buddy says a regulation dose not allow for water to be sprayed on the track during a Grandprix. I would love to see race director Charlie Whiting have a button to sprinkle water on a sector for a short time in the race. Leaving the rest of the track dry.:cry:

I thought they would do that last year. My buddy says a regulation dose not allow for water to be sprayed on the track during a Grandprix. I would love to see race director Charlie Whiting have a button to sprinkle water on a sector for a short time in the race. Leaving the rest of the track dry.:cry:
It seems like he did that in Hockenheim at the hairpin for 4 laps.

It's been a good season. Looks like Hamilton has won it now.

Singapore is a terrible track. They removed the best bit.

The schedule has a bad habit of going to Aisian tracks at the beginning and end of the season when Rain particularly Monsoon's are more coumoun. Its not a little sprinckle like in Europe.
Sadly these days a little rain and drivers moan and get the oficials to stop the event. They never did that in the good old days in the 80's

The schedule has a bad habit of going to Aisian tracks at the beginning and end of the season when Rain particularly Monsoon's are more coumoun. Its not a little sprinckle like in Europe.
Sadly these days a little rain and drivers moan and get the oficials to stop the event. They never did that in the good old days in the 80's

This is a lie. Races were stopped due to rain in the 1980s.
- 1981 Belgian Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 54
- 1981 French Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 58
- 1984 Monaco Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 31

Asian tracks are not raced during Monsoon season, also a lie. Monsoon season is from mid-June to August, when all F1 races are held in Europe.

Where has this casual lying come from these days? Is it Trump? It is not good enough and it should not be tolerated here.

Last edited:
i have a fond memory of my 1st Grandprix. Silverstone 1992. I was sat on the last turn into the grid straight in qualifying. It started to rain hard, my dad who was with me moaned as nobody was on track and it was wet. Then a young driver new to the sport jumped into his car and flew around the track real fast. With a big spray of water coming of the back of the car real high.
That moment i new is was looking at the next superstar of F1. It was of course Michael Schumacher. Sutch bravery and talent to do what he did. While the rest of the lads sat in the garage afraid they might catch a cold.

The problem with F1 is the rule changes from 2014 that made it pretty much illegal to race (without getting a penalty). Instead I buy Duke season reviews of F1 and other racing series that are becoming bland and boring. Honestly Charlie Whiting is a waste of space.

i have a fond memory of my 1st Grandprix. Silverstone 1992. I was sat on the last turn into the grid straight in qualifying. It started to rain hard, my dad who was with me moaned as nobody was on track and it was wet. Then a young driver new to the sport jumped into his car and flew around the track real fast. With a big spray of water coming of the back of the car real high.
That moment i new is was looking at the next superstar of F1. It was of course Michael Schumacher. Sutch bravery and talent to do what he did. While the rest of the lads sat in the garage afraid they might catch a cold.
Just get some kegs of beer and pour them onto the track. You can even make piss bottles. Just watch out you don't get kicked out the stands.

The problem with F1 is the rule changes from 2014 that made it pretty much illegal to race (without getting a penalty). Instead I buy Duke season reviews of F1 and other racing series that are becoming bland and boring. Honestly Charlie Whiting is a waste of space.
Yes hes a old man and old values. But rules are made by boardrooms and communities. Get a good idea and someone will not like it. And prevent it from happening. So you are left with stupid ideas that you have to settle with.

I guess every race is boring if you only pay attention to the two cars at the front.
I have never found F1 boaring. Some tracks make better races due to politics and some dull races. But it's not like Soccer or Ice Hockey that makes me fall asleep. Yet they are popular to others. F1 is different than any other sport and that makes it speshal. Power teams or players dominate in any sport

This is a lie. Races were stopped due to rain in the 1980s.
- 1981 Belgian Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 54
- 1981 French Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 58
- 1984 Monaco Grand Prix red flagged for rain on lap 31

Asian tracks are not raced during Monsoon season, also a lie. Monsoon season is from mid-June to August, when all F1 races are held in Europe.

Where has this casual lying come from these days? Is it Trump? It is not good enough and it should not be tolerated here.
Yes heavy rain. But modern drivers get upset in light rain. Maybe its a inability to adapt properly to the wet conditions. Senna and Michael Schumacher always new how to deal with it.

Yes hes a old man and old values. But rules are made by boardrooms and communities. Get a good idea and someone will not like it. And prevent it from happening. So you are left with stupid ideas that you have to settle with.
I refuse to settle with the rules the way they are. I was once a big fan of F1 and would tape races if I was on holiday. Now everyone is paranoid to over-take because they will get a trillion grid space penalty. That is W@nk. The best days imo was late 80s and mid-late 90s. When racing was still legal, the cars were not hybrids, the stupid halo wasn't there. Honestly if the directors wanted to kill the sport within a set time I would say they did pretty well!

I dont even like beer so i will make it a Cider

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back