Buying CSR wheel and pedals. Do I need a stand?

I've decided I'm fed up with the extreme pain in my hands that results from racing with my Xbox controller for lengthy periods. Also, I'm becoming more competitive but feel having to do everything with ten fingers and a clumsy thumbstick is holding back my times. So I'm going to buy the CSR wheel and pedals for my Xbox 360. I mostly play F1 2011 but also a little bit of Forza. I hope to play more of that when I have a clutch pedal so I can take all the assists off.

Now, I'm just about to place my order with Fanatec but I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary to pay over 100 Canadian dollars for a Rennsport stand to hold it all together as well. If I don't use a stand, will my pedals slowly glide across the carpet away from me? Can I use the CSR wheel on my lap?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

It is always best to have something firm to mount your pedals and wheel to as the driving can get a bit rough with force feedback on :)

You don't have to use the Rensport if you don't want to, but I would suggest at least use something. Part of the secret to winning races is being comfortable when you drive. Not having to worry about your wheel or pedals moving in the middle of a race can aid in you being comfortable. The options you have are to get the Rensport, buy another brand of stand, use a desk or table to mount the wheel and hope the pedals don't move on you, or build a stand yourself.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the wheel and pedals without the stand. I think I'll try re-arranging my room a bit and mounting the wheel to a desk. Will have to figure something out for the pedals. If that proves uncomfortable I'll have to order the stand.

Upvote 0
Just to add to this, yeah, you gotta mount both the pedals and the wheel. I use to drive with the 360 wheel in my lap like you, and although it works, I couldn't challenge for top scoreboard times until I got both the pedals and wheel mounted. And for the races it allows you to relax a hell of a lot more.

Upvote 0
Just to add to this, yeah, you gotta mount both the pedals and the wheel. I use to drive with the 360 wheel in my lap like you, and although it works, I couldn't challenge for top scoreboard times until I got both the pedals and wheel mounted. And for the races it allows you to relax a hell of a lot more.

How did you mount them? Onto a stand or a desk or something?

Upvote 0
Well, a neighbor of mine left a TV-table out in the front of his house as trash, so I ran over, scooped it up, and did some modifications to it to support my wheel and pedals. (It was quite the cumbersome setup, though.) So yeah, you could call it a small desk. Drilled my 360 wheel on it and I was good to go.

But when I switched to the Fanatec things became more difficult. For one, the stock screws they come with don't go through thick wood, they're designed to go through something strong and thin, like metal. So I tried the wheel clamp, but that was unstable as it constantly gave way while I turned hard. So my advice, I would get the stand. It's made out of metal and specifically for a Fanatec, not to mention it takes up little room and is easy to put away. Or if you're going to use a desk to mount the wheel, then I'd suggest spending 50 bucks on their table clamp, which even lets you adjust wheel angle. That's what I'm going to do when I order the CSR Elite.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back