Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I run a harness. The way to do it is to attach the mounting points to the part of the platform that moves. Rather than to a static part of the rig. That way puts extra stress on the motor. The harness being connected to the moving platform is like it not being there. I had mine incorrectly installed until someone pointed it out to me. With the 80 20 setup now there were a few spots to put it and I quite like how I have it now. It feels good and I don't have to worry about damaging anything. I am not sure if you can see how I've done it in my build log pics.

People might laugh at the harness but it does add a fair to the experience.
I thought the whole point of a harness in a sim rig was to hard-mount it (usually with springs) independently of the moving part of the rig so that the harness tightens under braking forces as the seat pitches forward, to simulate your body mass getting forced forward under braking g-forces? I might be completely wrong but that was my understanding of it, anyway.
If the harness is attached to the seat then the tension will be pretty much constant won't it, apart from a slight increase as your weight shifts as the seat tilts forwards?

Upvote 0
You're correct. However, if we do this with our V3 we are asking for trouble. Secondly, I have seen spring tensioned harnesses but I am not sure much they cost or if they are a DIY thing or you can buy them complete. If you think of the way you describe it then a harness on a full moving chassis would almost render itself obselete. I don't think that would be the case as I think you would still get benefit out of having one. I already have the seat pushing me forward to simulate brake forces, I doubt I'd need the tension of the seat belt getting any tighter to make the most of it. The feeling of being strapped in while the seat is doing it's thing is enough of a benefit for me. Compared to how I used to have it mounted (to a fixed point not part of the moving frame) the feeling is barely distinguishable from each other. A spring mounted system might provide a further benefit but I am content with what a simple $50, 4 point harness provides. It's definitely better than just running motion with nothing at all. It feels weird not being strapped once you're used to it.

I do see your points though, certainly make sense.

Upvote 0
You're correct. However, if we do this with our V3 we are asking for trouble. Secondly, I have seen spring tensioned harnesses but I am not sure much they cost or if they are a DIY thing or you can buy them complete. If you think of the way you describe it then a harness on a full moving chassis would almost render itself obselete. I don't think that would be the case as I think you would still get benefit out of having one. I already have the seat pushing me forward to simulate brake forces, I doubt I'd need the tension of the seat belt getting any tighter to make the most of it. The feeling of being strapped in while the seat is doing it's thing is enough of a benefit for me. Compared to how I used to have it mounted (to a fixed point not part of the moving frame) the feeling is barely distinguishable from each other. A spring mounted system might provide a further benefit but I am content with what a simple $50, 4 point harness provides. It's definitely better than just running motion with nothing at all. It feels weird not being strapped once you're used to it.

I do see your points though, certainly make sense.
I almost bought a cheap Sparco-esque harness from Ali Express a while ago but I wasn't quite sure how I'd be able to fit it with my seat (Sparco R333) or how annoying I'd find it when wanting to get in and out of the seat or just reaching for the phone etc.
In the end I went off the idea altogether.

Upvote 0
Dear All,

Hope we can assist here with some feedback directly to clear some speculation/confusion.

We can certainly confirm that the Traction+ Motion Platform is not designed to replace the V3 at all.

The Traction+ system features yaw, sway, understeer, traction loss and power slides. Then combined with the V3 it adds lateral force, longitudinal force, roll, pitch and partially heave. V3 users can expect the same level of quality and product here with the new Traction+ motion platform. A big thankyou to users here who have purchased and hopefully are enjoying the V3. The V3 platform has had fantastic feedback from users and professionals and we certainly will continue stocking them globally. The V3 combined with the new Traction+ motion platform is the ultimate motion simulation experience.

We look forward to premiering the new platform at Sim Racing Expo this weekend and also showing our new GTtrack cockpit which has been designed and built for serious sim racers using direct drive wheels and professional pedals. Here's a sneak preview of both -

A wholehearted thankyou for your support from the team at Next Level Racing.
For the right price I’d be all over that if I can mount the P1 on to it...

Is there going to package price discount for both motion addons, not interested in the rig, no offence but a set rig simply can’t match 80/20 in rigidity and versatility, the GT Ultimate V2 ergonomics were just all wrong for my non-average body proportions. Long legs aren’t comfortable in most cars either so I know it’s a me problem :D.

Upvote 0
For the right price I’d be all over that if I can mount the P1 on to it...

Is there going to package price discount for both motion addons, not interested in the rig, no offence but a set rig simply can’t match 80/20 in rigidity and versatility, the GT Ultimate V2 ergonomics were just all wrong for my non-average body proportions. Long legs aren’t comfortable in most cars either so I know it’s a me problem :D.

I think a few of us would definitely be interested if there was a way of mounting the P1, GT1 and similar to it to compliment our existing NLMv3 set ups. :) Assuming that's a possibility, (I can already sense collective brain cells whirring in to gear re. mounting solutions :)), I wonder what the weight bearing capacity is? Based on what I have bolted to my P1 rig there's some mass there, especially when the lardy-arsed driver jumps in the seat.

As a matter of interest has pricing been announced?

Maybe Next Level Racing would care to chip in here? :thumbsup:

It certainly appears to be a clever solution to simulate traction / traction loss whilst utilisng and complimenting the v3 platform. It won't however address the realism of braking as the seat mover will still pitch you, rather than the full rig, towards the steering wheel, which someone commented on earlier. Not that I have an issue with that in the slightest because I control that movement nicely through the software.

Who will be the first to bite? Answers on a postcard to..... :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think a few of us would definitely be interested if there was a way of mounting the P1, GT1 and similar to it to compliment our existing NLMv3 set ups. :) Assuming that's a possibility, (I can already sense collective brain cells whirring in to gear re. mounting solutions :)), I wonder what the weight bearing capacity is? Based on what I have bolted to my P1 rig there's some mass there, especially when the lardy-arsed driver jumps in the seat.

As a matter of interest has pricing been announced?

Maybe Next Level Racing would care to chip in here? :thumbsup:

It certainly appears to be a clever solution to simulate traction / traction loss whilst utilisng and complimenting the v3 platform. It won't however address the realism of braking as the seat mover will still pitch you, rather than the full rig, towards the steering wheel, which someone commented on earlier. Not that I have an issue with that in the slightest because I control that movement nicely through the software.

Who will be the first to bite? Answers on a postcard to..... :D
Yeh, my P1 with a V3 would be 105kg and then with me in it 205kg. However because the actuators aren’t lifting weight and just miving side to side it’s not as big a problem. All the rear traction loss modules I’ve seen only use one SNC ones which are rated for like 10-40kg of lift.

Upvote 0

Force2Motion proudly presents: Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform and GTtrack Cockpit

At the ADAC SimRacingExpo from 14.09. until 16.09.2018 we present the brand new Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform with the new GTtrackCockpit! The products will be available in a few weeks and more details and prices will follow soon. Here are some appetizers: If interested, please make a non-binding quote. After the SimExpo the data will be updated here.

The Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform delivers groundbreaking realism and sets a new benchmark in simulation technology.

Combined with the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3, the new sliding system brings racing and flight simulator enthusiasts to the next level of immersion in virtual reality, once again filling the gap between simulation and real life. The system can deliver yaw and side thrust, understeer, traction loss and oversteer in a breathtaking performance that has never been seen before.

The Traction + Motion Platform itself is an incredible product but in combination with the already familiar Motion Platform V3 it can do even more. Then roll and pitch movements are added, which simulate the real forces in a race car or plane very realistic. The Traction + system does not replace the V3, but complements it.

Just like the V3, the design, construction and manufacturing of the Traction + Motion Platform come from Europe to give users the ultimate in reliability and durability. The Traction + system fits perfectly with the brand new and extremely rugged Next Level Racing GTtrack Simulator Cockpit to take racing to the next level - Next Level Racing.
  • Adaptable to third-party cockpits.
  • Can be operated as a stand alone simulation platform or combined with the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3.
  • Provides yaw, pendulum and understeer movements, traction loss and power slides and with the V3 additional lateral and longitudinal forces, rolling, pitching and partial lifting of the seat.
  • Complete with professional software that supports all current racing and flight titles on the Windows PC.
  • Total payload of the slider system up to 245 kg including cockpit and electronics (permissible payload of the motion platform 130 kg incl. Seat).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Force2Motion proudly presents: Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform and GTtrack Cockpit

At the ADAC SimRacingExpo from 14.09. until 16.09.2018 we present the brand new Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform with the new GTtrackCockpit! The products will be available in a few weeks and more details and prices will follow soon. Here are some appetizers: If interested, please make a non-binding quote. After the SimExpo the data will be updated here.

The Next Level Racing Traction + Motion Platform delivers groundbreaking realism and sets a new benchmark in simulation technology.

Combined with the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3, the new sliding system brings racing and flight simulator enthusiasts to the next level of immersion in virtual reality, once again filling the gap between simulation and real life. The system can deliver yaw and side thrust, understeer, traction loss and oversteer in a breathtaking performance that has never been seen before.

The Traction + Motion Platform itself is an incredible product but in combination with the already familiar Motion Platform V3 it can do even more. Then roll and pitch movements are added, which simulate the real forces in a race car or plane very realistic. The Traction + system does not replace the V3, but complements it.

Just like the V3, the design, construction and manufacturing of the Traction + Motion Platform come from Europe to give users the ultimate in reliability and durability. The Traction + system fits perfectly with the brand new and extremely rugged Next Level Racing GTtrack Simulator Cockpit to take racing to the next level - Next Level Racing.
  • Adaptable to third-party cockpits.
  • Can be operated as a stand alone simulation platform or combined with the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3.
  • Provides yaw, pendulum and understeer movements, traction loss and power slides and with the V3 additional lateral and longitudinal forces, rolling, pitching and partial lifting of the seat.
  • Complete with professional software that supports all current racing and flight titles on the Windows PC.
  • Total payload of the slider system up to 245 kg including cockpit and electronics (permissible payload of the motion platform 130 kg incl. Seat).

Very useful info, looks like the P1 is good to go with weight to spare. I’m guessing it will be at least as expensive as the V3 though which has an RRP of £/€3000, SimX single RTL is $1700 I believe with a less substantial module.

Upvote 0
Asseto Corsa Competicione works with a assetto profile, simply change clone the assetto profile and put the ACC directory

B9biuEd.jpg

By the way, I also use harnesses :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Just looking at the footprint of the new sliding platform, it's substantially bigger than the profile of our 80 20 cockpits. I might not even be able to fit it in my chassis' current location. Hmmm.

Upvote 0
I mean, it would fit but not properly fit. I'd be stepping over the railing a little bit, as my room is quite narrow. It's comfortable now, but adding more would be a small issue. The main reason I was happy to have not gone with the Stage IV, space. I'm sure I could make it work, but I'd definitely need the dimensions of it and to measure up how it would fit in the current space.

Upvote 0
I mean, it would fit but not properly fit. I'd be stepping over the railing a little bit, as my room is quite narrow. It's comfortable now, but adding more would be a small issue. The main reason I was happy to have not gone with the Stage IV, space. I'm sure I could make it work, but I'd definitely need the dimensions of it and to measure up how it would fit in the current space.
I’ve measure it up by taking a picture of the video when it shows it from behind (I’m on my lunch break at work and had nothing better to do :p) seems to be just under 2.5x the width of the V3 base.

In real terms let’s say between 1050mm-1150mm.

Upvote 0

I’ve measure it up by taking a picture of the video when it shows it from behind (I’m on my lunch break at work and had nothing better to do :p) seems to be just under 2.5x the width of the V3 base.

In real terms let’s say between 1050mm-1150mm.

You two should definitely have a race to see who can buy one first.
:p

Upvote 0
My mate will try this out today at the SimExpo and will report back, he’s working on the SimLab stand with Richard. NLR responded to my message this morning and said 245kg max inc driver so the P1 will be fine. The footprint is quite large though...the wife may tell me off after she stubs her toe

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to read / watch some detailed, unbiased reviews once they are out there and get some feedback from early adopters, especially in relation to realism and immersion factor when coupled with the V3.

Watching that video, a part of me wonders whether the movement might be too much on top of the V3 and has the potential to actually compromise driving performance. However I wonder if that footage is demonstrating the extremes of the movement available, similar to how the V3 has been demo'd and as it is 'out of the box.' Hopefully, like the seat mover, the range and speed of motion can be 'dialed down' significantly within software, which makes the whole experience way more rewarding in my opinion.

@Ecstreme we await your feedback with interest. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Forum trophies