Bumpy oval

Hello,

I'm trying to make a simple oval for rFactor. Making the camber wasn't a problem, the track basically seems ok, but the banked corners are incredibly bumpy. It's not a tdf issue, I also tried flattening/smoothing the nodes, but still the car constantly hits the ground on the banking.

I'm not an expert in BTB, I'm sure there is a simple fix for this, didn't find anything on Google, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you for your suggestion neteye, I tried changing the panel length but unfortunately it didn't help. The car still bounces around like mad on the banked sections (only the banked section, not the straights).
I'm testing it with the VHR 2014 Nascar mod, so it's not the cars either, they work perfectly on other ovals.
Maybe it is the tdf? The track surface looks smooth, it just isn't when you drive over it. But I tried replacing the tdf with that of a working oval and there was no change.

It's the same when I put the track into GTR2 by the way, so it's not rF-specific.

Last edited:
Hi Turean,

second Idea: too many nodes. Maybe rebuild the corners with as few nodes as possible, like this. maybe thats causing some waves in the corner that you feel, because btb cant smooth it enough.

greetings,
neteye

You're a genius, I think that's it! :thumbsup:

I thought more nodes = smoother track, but of course what you said makes sense. I deleted some and it's much better now.

But - forgive me for sounding like a complete noob - how do you make a smooth corner out of 2 nodes like in your picture?

It takes time, and many attempts ;)
that particular corner was easy because i had the grid for reference, which makes it much easier. another way is to import a circle as a background image, resize it and move it to the corner, so you can use that as reference.

I get that... but with two nodes I am only able to make two 90 degree corners with a straight between them. For a round corner with a constant radius, I need a third node in the middle... don't I?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it :)

Last edited:
most corners bank or normal , required around 3-5 nodes to make it smooth. Depends on the sharpness of the corner, banking I usually have at least 5-6 to stop any jumpiness into the corner with banking.

you see that the mistake you made you assuming the corner is only 2-3 nodes when you create a corner you need to thing around the Curvature of a the corner (from a top down view). The sharper it is the more nodes will be required,also make sure you check the control points of the nodes has this can get rather twisted when setting up track nodes.

sorry banger, but i totally disagree with you. for a constant radius corner, you need 2 nodes. nothing more.
in the picture you see 2 corners, panel length 2m, gridsize 10m, so the radii of the corners are 10m and 20m. and each only have 2 nodes. The control points are 1 1/3 longer then the radius of the corner. (10m radius --> 13,33m long control point, 20m radius--> 26,66m, like in the picture).

for a constant banking in the whole corner, you need exactly 4 camber-nodes:
the first one is 0°, and is way before the corner.
the second one is whatever°, and is at the start of the corner
the third one is whatever°, at the very end of the corner
the last one is way after the corner ended, with 0°.

Attachments

• constantcorner.jpg
    constantcorner.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 316

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back