Budget wheel

Good choice,
Started off with a DFP myself, then a friend loaned me his DFGT and both are good fun. After a year or so i switched to a G27 wich is great.. but man that Fanatec hardware is starting to look oh so tempting.
This whole Sim business is a dangerously addicting and potentially very expensive hobby ..

Anyway gratz on the new toy, hope you enjoy :)

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I'm also in search of a budget wheel, I was somewhat set on buying a G27 somewhere in the future, but wheels are things that end up quite expensive here because of the dollar ratio, so yeah.

After taking a look in this thread I'm thinking it may be better to start off with the DFGT since I'm not too worried about having an H shifter at this point or the 3 pedals, what I am worried though is about the precision of the wheel, that's the whole reason I actually want one over my Dual Shock 3 controller, which I use on PC, the DS3 is a really good controller for everything else, but in sim racing an analog stick with no FFB makes cars very difficult to handle, some are pretty much impossible to drive.

So here is my question, is the DFGT as precise as the G27, FFB wise and analog wise(wheels/pedals)? Also some of you talked about replacing the pedals with some else, are they bad?

Upvote 0
The DFGT wheel is just as good and precise as the G27 with even more buttons...the pedals are plenty good for starting out...I used them for close to two years on iracing and won plenty of races with them....In the US the DFGT sells for $100 and a set of Fanatec pedals is about $250...IMO this is a far better combination than a G27 (which sells for $300) if you don't mind not having an H-pattern shifter...(which really isn't much of one with the G27 to be honest.) The DFGT does have a nice sequential shifter and there are a couple of nice stand alone H-pattern shifters that can be used also.

I do believe that the G27 wheel rim is an inch larger in diameter than the DFGT.

I have three friends that I have been online racing with for several years and two of us have DFGT and two have G27....We have all replaced the stock pedals; two have Fanatec Clubsport V1, I have Fanatec CSR Elite, and one has Todd Cannon CSP....

One big advantage the G27 has over the DFGT is that there are several adapters out there to easily put a real steering wheel (such as MOMO) in place of the rim that comes stock. I haven't found an adapter to do this with the DFGT unfortunately.

Sorry for the never ending post but hopefully this helps.

Edit: For some reason the last two builds in iracing have not been kind to my buddy and myself with our DFGT....
Netkar Pro, GTR2 with P&G V3, FVA, Game Stock Car, and Rfactor 1 and 2 all work wonderfully right out of the box.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your post Michael, it helps a lot. ;)

In the meanwhile I was reading comments from people in other sites (GT Planet being one) and some people found an ingenious way to solve the over sensitivity of the DFGT pedals, by simply adding a... sponge. in them. haha :p They said that works quite well. :D

Also saw that you can glue home made paddles to the paddle shifter buttons to make them work better.

And I don't really mind the wheel itself, I think it looks nice, I wouldn't buy a real car wheel to replace it anyway, so it's ok.

Ah just one last question, I heard the G27 returns the wheel into position if you release it in a corner, can the DFGT do the same?

Upvote 0
There is a website that makes extensions that use two sided tape for the paddles that are adjustable...I thought I had the site saved but I know my friend does...I will get that link from him in a couple hours and put it in this post...the site also has really nice carbon fiber stickers to improve the looks.

The wheel does return to position but maybe not quite as quickly as a real car...like what happens in the first chicane at Monza....I will test this later as I have kind of a lazy driving style where I hold the wheel with my left hand and my right hand stays on the sequential shifter most of the time....The 458 in FVA is about the only sim car that I use both hands on the wheel with paddles. I run a medium amount of force feedback but if you like it heavy I would imagine it would return to position quicker....I can test some later...in Netkar and P&G I just drive pretty much how I would in real life and it is extremely immersive IMO. (I completely forget that I am using a toy wheel because it feels so alive if that makes any sense.)

In the logitech profiler I use 107% overall effects strength
0% spring effect strength
0% Damper effect strength
0% centering spring strength
900 degree rotation and check allow game to adjust settings

I believe these same settings are available for G27 but don't know what values to run...I bet Bram could help out with that

crap, one more edit...if you come to a stop with wheels turned (on car) the steering wheel stays turned....if going through chicane for instance or catching a slide you can let go of wheel and it will turn left and right according to what the wheels on the car are doing....I think thats what you meant but not sure :unsure:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back