Breaking News: Slightly Mad Studios Bought by Codemasters

Both are SH*T! That`s the true.

Slight Mad Studios, was good, but stopped in time.

Codemasters hasn't done anything good since Colin McRae 2 a long time ago. They don`t listen the community. Every single year, the F1 community is asking for virtual mirrors among other basic things, but they simple don`t care and everybody is driving the F1 cars on the backseat to be able to see the mirrors.

So, the mix between the 2, don`t bring any real value for sim racers. Maybe their public are the need for speed gamers and that`s ok, but I can only ask that all of this, don`t hurt the AMS2 from Reiza.

Or maybe they can do a game like forza horizon. That would be good for fun.

Last edited:
PCARS 1 & 2 are simulation. By definition and experience. Deal with it!

I don't know if you are aware, but the MADNESS engine has apparently suffered from a subtle (but nasty) physics engine inertia calculation bug with wide-ranging consequences since the days of NFS SHIFT?

Reiza pointed out that the bug was carried over because SMS licensed an earlier version of the rF1 engine where the bug was never fixed. In essence, Moment of Inertia of unsprung mass is calculated as mass * distance*distance (where distance is taken to the be the distance from the car CG to the CG of the unsprung mass at each corner of the vehicle).

In the MADNESS engine used for all 4 SMS racing titles, the code is instead written as MOI = mass * distance.

So while I agree that PCARS 1 & 2 are simulations, they happen to be simulating the wrong thing when it comes to MOI of unsprung mass. No amount of fiddling with chassis MOI values is going to work when the formula you plug those values into is flat out wrong.

And yes, I was as surprised/shocked as you probably are after reading this.

I'm into AMS 2 for $130, I hope they don't stuff it up! I wouldn't exactly call F1 or Dirt sim much, I know SMS didn't have a great sim track record but Reiza have so put my faith in them again but no.........

Unfortunately I see a lot of hater towards PC.
Yes, it is a simulator (PC2), and you can configure it at the level of simulation you prefer (more accessible or realistic). I don't know if it's the best simulator, but it has a fairly close degree of realism. (I repeat that I don't know if he is the best) and I don't care if he is the best or not in that regard.
His career mode was very enjoyable. and what was most important to me was that I was focused on offline. If SMS I leave the online abandoned, it is not your problem, it is the one that complains. It was build mainly offline.
It has more cars than many other sims. (no forza)
They have more clues than other sims.
I am sorry that SMS was fused. Now they respond to the whims of codemasters.

I forgot:
PC2 is one of the few (along with GTR2) that is not a sim of empty hotlaps and just "spin alone" as AC. He has championships.
(as a base, without mods)
In that sense ACC is "complete", they have their own full championship. like the F1. (Regardless of the number of tracks and cars, it is NOT a sim hotlaps)

as I said in other offtopic. I lost everything. I only have F1 challenge, GTR2 and RBR left. (FULL championships content)

Last edited:
The only ones who should really care about physics are those who train to run in real races. (and also use other softwares)
to others, whether it is accurate or not ... nobody knows (only real pilots), and nobody who commented here is. (anyone from here pilot a lotus 87?)

SMS made HIS own vision of simulation. Either they accept it or they don't buy it.
You like it, then you have fun. It could be more or less realistic. but in the end the feeling of having driven a sports car is there.

to those who hate sms / pc2: they shouldn't have bought it. No one forced them. They should have been informed first. (I waited 1 year before I had it, wait for all your updates, I don't disappoint. because I knew what I expected.)
"triggereds" in 3..2 ... 1 ...

Independantly there are things I both like & dislike about the products of each company from great fun to pure frustration.

Merged together I am more worried as I fear it has been done purely to minimise costs while maximising profits and line the pockets of the already rich Company owners & Execs.

The wishes, wants and desires of the sim racing fanatics will be lost in the dust while the new "Slightly Code Mad Master Studios" will promise the moon and 'nearly' give us something great together with a healthy serve of bug salad.

I am happy for my rediscovery of rF2 and look forward to AMS2. Rip SMS.

You might need to study a little deeper on the subject to find out which kind of games actually bring crowds to sim racing. Codemasters' games definitely are definitely providers of lots and lots fresh blood to our beloved genre.

Every sim racer had an entry game.
Exactly! The "evil" Codemasters hooked me with gateway drug of F1 2012: enough so that I bought an Xbox 360--my first console since an Atari 2600--added a 32" TV, Fanatec Forza wheel and CSP V.2 pedals, and built an 80/20 rig with a 2013 Dodge Charger Superbee seat and later switched to a used Corbeau seat. I am an F1 nut and wanted to "drive" an F1 car--having the wheel nearly torn out of my hands after a blowout at 180mph during driver testing, I was a goner . . .

I'm into AMS 2 for $130, I hope they don't stuff it up! I wouldn't exactly call F1 or Dirt sim much, I know SMS didn't have a great sim track record but Reiza have so put my faith in them again but no.........

Good luck to SMS/Codemasters. I think SMS aimed at making money on the PS4 because that's where money is.. but they have to fight with a giant, Sony's GT Sport. GT Sport sold like 8 million copies (on the PS4 of course) and the other day I watched their e-sports finals, their YouTube live had like 100.000 viewers. The rest is a dwarf in comparison, even Codemasters' F1 franchise. To make racing games for big audiences you need lots of money and time and SMS could not do it alone. Codemasters on its side has Grid which did not exactly break the Internet, so they definitely needed to beef up that part of their portfolio.

I am a bit worried about the other "sim" developers (Kunos, Reiza, Studio 397..), as they have to manage the increasing complexity of racing/driving simulators without having huge resources at their disposal or a huge market to make a profit from. Let's be honest, if I am the FIA, SRO, etc I want a game to promote my series, I am not really interested in how realistic it is, I want visibility. This makes it quite hard for small developers to find good sponsorships. Some like iRacing opt for a premium price. Kunos, instead opted for low prices and DLCs and tried to port AC to the PS4 (which was probably rather painful). I don't see how they can keep making enough money with just ACC unless they keep their team very small and work very hard.. and they need to work hard because ACC has way more features than AC, new graphics engine, etc etc. AMS 2 will bring better graphics, but let's be honest, do they have the resources to make it grow if they don't sell it a lot? RF2 is chugging along and improving all the time.. slowly. Luckily today there is early access and other formulas to start making money and at the same time continue the development, so this is a lifeline. Good luck and stay strong.

Last edited:
This is a big f... surprise, i wonder what will happen to their products.

What engine will they be using going forward, Madness or Ego?
Will Codemasters Project Cars be better or worst?
Will F1 get better with some SMS input?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back