BREAKING: Fernando Alonso signs to Aston Martin for 2023 on multi-year contract

Well, that makes no sense at all, unless daddy Stroll pays more money than Alpine. But it more looks like another one of Alonso's infamous career ruining shifts. Lots of questions arise again:

- Why go down the ladder? Aston is shite!
- Imagine two of F1's biggest ego's 'working' together (Alonso and Stroll sr.)
- Why leave Alpine who is moving up the ladder steadily?
- Why make this move when you're 400 years old?
- Why make this move when you're gauranteed to be second in command? No matter how crap baby Stroll is, he'll still be #1 in that team.
- Did he get canned to make way for Piastri?
- Did Vettel get canned to make way for Alonso? (that would actually make sense)

Still scratching my head on this one.
Alpine to Aston makes zero sense at the moment...unless it is about a massive paycheck.
Stranger things have happened though, so we'll see.
When Lewis left McLaren for Mercedes people questioned that decision, so I'll reserve judgement until I see what he can do with Lance's team.

Last edited:
Still scratching my head on this one.
Alpine to Aston makes zero sense at the moment...unless it is about a massive paycheck.
Stranger things have happened though, so we'll see.
When Lewis left McLaren for Mercedes people questioned that decision, so I'll reserve judgement until I see what he can do with Lance's team.
Yeah but Lauda promised Lewis that Mercedes would do great when the regulation change would happen. And they did.
I don't really see Aston Martin pulling a massively improved car out of their hat next season though tbh...

Maybe Alonso doesn't really care about positions anymore and just enjoys racing, being in the paddock etc and happily moves aside for a young driver at Alpine.
Or he has friends at Aston and wants to enjoy his time with them :roflmao:
Being the "second driver" might give him more free time with his new girlfriend...

What will it take for Fernando to retire for Heaven's sake? What is it with drivers like Fernando and, in recent times, Kimi? Moving to what is essentially Stroll's team now to boot? Fernando must really enjoy racing and the money he gets out of it. I personally think they should have given Hulkenberg one final chance though.

What will it take for Fernando to retire for Heaven's sake? What is it with drivers like Fernando and, in recent times, Kimi? Moving to what is essentially Stroll's team now to boot? Fernando must really enjoy racing and the money he gets out of it. I personally think they should have given Hulkenberg one final chance though.
What's the problem? Why should he retire?

When Alonso came back to F1 i was like WTF. Then his team Alpine was on form and he ran up front. But going to Aston Martin a team who's name is bigger than the team. A step backwards makes no Logic. He will moan and complain then retire again.

Why should he? I dont like the man either, but he's still remarkably fast given his age. Kimi? Yeah he was 'old' as well, but also slow, just like Vettel. Hulkenberg? Forget it, never really been fast and dosent have the same experience as Alonso in the current cars.
Alonso makes sense for Aston, not the other way around.

What's the problem? Why should he retire?
The problem is if he retires there is only one good driver available Nico Hulkenberg. Or a driver from Indy Car. You can put a rookie in the car but it is a learning curve. Look at Mick Shumcher, Nakita Mazapin. Its a big jump to F1 level that takes patience.

Well, that makes no sense at all, unless daddy Stroll pays more money than Alpine. But it more looks like another one of Alonso's infamous career ruining shifts. Lots of questions arise again:

- Why go down the ladder? Aston is shite!
- Imagine two of F1's biggest ego's 'working' together (Alonso and Stroll sr.)
- Why leave Alpine who is moving up the ladder steadily?
- Why make this move when you're 400 years old?
- Why make this move when you're gauranteed to be second in command? No matter how crap baby Stroll is, he'll still be #1 in that team.
- Did he get canned to make way for Piastri?
- Did Vettel get canned to make way for Alonso? (that would actually make sense)
I think he upset Ocon, Ocon like Alpine is French.

Aston Martin's ceiling is probably higher. Alpine/Renault have proven over the last 5 or so years that they just won't get anywhere near being a regular podium contender, never mind winning races.

But the problem is, that ceiling is at least 4 years away, with the new factory still being built and the current regs being quite stable and locked in until then.

What does that matter, I hear you ask? Well, by then, Alonso would be almost 45 - so the move makes absolutely no sense. That leaves me to the conclusion that it can only be about money.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back