Bobs Track (or City) Builder vs Cityscape.

Hi Guys..

I read something (somewhere) about a Bobs City Builder in production.
..Not sure tho if this is a fantasy project or an upcoming BTB project.?

In any case to show you the "flag-ship" on the City Builders market
here is an -exiting- promo video from the (ease of use) Cityscape tool.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9bND1uRXs&NR=1[/ame]

Ley me know your opinion if we need an easy to use City Builder tool,
that among other things works a bit different in regards to terrain handlin etc..
( Just check the construction method Cityscape uses vs current BTB ).

Cheers,
Dac.

i want to relase an american xpack from RBR, but i don´t know how to manage 3D max... rigth now i´m cuting every single texture from the originals american texture plates of RBR.

i want to make (or get into) a workteam, i want to do things for that comunity but i need help, please tell me what i can do to help you or someone else.

my problem is that i´m really noob in this sim world.... BTB is really easy to manage, and i think most people have the same problem, they know how to manage BTB but no more 3d software.

plesae make a workteam and tell me what i have to do.... i do my best.

I agree 100% with you that what we need is a free to join BTB Xpacks
community team with primary purpose of co-working in converting
existing gfx into Xpacks.

Including learning how to do that as easy as possbile, which hopefully
is just a question of creating a few easy going step by step guides.

Satangoss -fantastic- idea of easy going convertion of 3d Models from
Google Earth / Sketchup could be a good base to begin with, plus your
kewl RBR convertion project as well of course.

Perhaps Stanagoss would be willing to write an easy going step
by step guide for his kewl Google Earth / Sketchup project and
make a new dedicated topic for the project in question making it
easy to spot and join for interested community guys.?

Cheers,
Dac.

If you don´t use the DEM as mesh (i don´t know how this created and in wich form it usable)only for elevation of the selfmade track, than it is a good idea. it´s would be help elevate and can delete at the end. It would be very good if the elevation fix and the road and teraine will only created on elevation base (DEM) . if that work, it will much easier create real tracks.

Although the road mesh should be created before terrain mesh, but you will make elevation file as first step (secound roadmesh, third terrain and so on)

All DEM data and programs absolutly free? How can i made DEM files ?

Lamda

yuck. you want google earth terrain? someone already made a script for that, it uses the same horridly low res .hgt files (srtm data) that google earth uses for the majority of its data.

although I have seen a few places where google earth uses better data .. mt st helens is the only good GE elevation data I've seen lately.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...12,-122.065187&spn=0.021923,0.078964&t=p&z=15

edit: good, LIDAR derived DEM on the left, SRTM on the right in that link.

I've worked with GIS systems and data for years. I know that
the SRTM data is low res, I don't wish to use it for anything more than a
3D template to construct a more poly efficient track from. LIDAR data is
very good, but way too much data to process efficiently in BTB.
The real problem is sourcing accurate road elevation data, I wish that
TIGER shapefiles were more accurate.
Does anyone have a good source for road survey data?
I have made tracks from topo maps, they are very accurate but it's a very
time consuming process.

Alex Forbin

A DEM file is an array of elevation values based on a uniformly spaced grid. The grid is usually measured in arc-seconds (roughly 30m), or fractions thereof (1/3, 1/9). Here's a more technical spec: http://www.vterrain.org/Elevation/dem.html

U.S. Geological Survey has most of whatever data you'll need for the US for free. Most of that data was collected by aerial survey or by satellite.

There is a vast selection of programs out there ranging from free to really expensive. 42Cliff might have some links handy. Global Mapper 10 does a lot, has a demo, and seems to be on the less expensive side of the spectrum for what it can do.

To make your own, I would create a Grayscale 16-bit tif in a graphics program and run it through some program to get a DEM.

correct, a DEM is a Source of elevation data, not a track.

a track has to still be made to drape over the DEM.

edit: and of course if anyone can tell me how to drape a BTB track over a DEM - in any format - please pass it on. (can convert the DEM to other formats - max or whatever if required - my comp would take ages to process such a file though)

I was using a KML drawn in and exported from Google Earth, and a DEM, loaded into GlobalMapper 10. After adding elevation from the DEM to the KML. I would then export the KML from GM, and import into BTB.

You’re in luck…sort of. The elevation here is 3 meter resolution. But the track is so small and the area is rather flat. you don’t really need height data for this.

If you want, I can make you a btb base track from the height data…unless you want to make it from scratch yourself in the conventional way against a background image (which I recommend here).

I have already made the base layout from the background image. I was going to try and adjust heights and cambers from youtube videos as it is quite an up and down type of track, just thought there might be some GPS or DEM data I could make use of.

Background image map I am using isn't high enough res for texture though I reckon. Anywhere I can get some good stuff?

nice... pity I couldn't really understand those links you sent. I'm not great reading broken english, find it too hard to understand. I'll have to post what I have done so far, definitely less polys involved than what you produced.

Email me those files to woodeecouk at yahoo.co.uk so I can see how it is done, so maybe I can try it for my next track. Which I only want to start if I can get the elevation data.

Are there any good sources for UK elevation data?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back