BMW Spied Testing Class One Spec 2019 DTM Car

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DTM BMW CLass 2.jpg

The first on track action of a Class One DTM regulation cars happened recently, with shots of a test mule BMW surfacing from running at the BMW Group Plant Dingolfing location.

Testing of a 2019 specification DTM car has taken place recently, the works BMW outfit running an upgraded M4 DTM as they put the first miles on the new for 2019 turbo engine and Class One regulations set to come into force in the DTM for next season.

“BMW Turbo Power has enjoyed success in motor racing for almost 50 years,” BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt said. “In the first year with a BMW turbo engine, back in 1969, Dieter Quester was immediately crowned European touring car champion with the BMW 2002 TI. In 1973, the BMW 2002 turbo became the first German production automobile to feature a turbocharger. We are now adding a new chapter to this story in the DTM.

“Our first few kilometres of the Class 1 era went very positively. We are happy with all the functional tests. The new turbo sounds awesome. However, its most impressive attribute is its efficiency – despite being considerably more powerful than its predecessor.”

DTM BMW CLass 1.jpg

Performing driving duties at the BMW Group Plant Dingolfing facility would be long time works driver Bruno Spengler, the 2012 champion feeling suitably impressed with the new machine, set to become mandatory for 2019 as Aston Martin join the series alongside BMW and Audi.

"After my first kilometres with the new DTM engine, I can hardly wait for next season,” said Spengler. “I can just imagine how much fun it will be to take to the track with so much BMW Turbo Power. You can feel the extra horsepower. We will put on even more of a show for the fans in 2019. The amount of time at full-throttle is reduced – but the top speed is higher than before. We will have to work even harder at the wheel.”
DTM BMW CLass 4.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the new spec DTM next season? Do you think a move to Class One regulations is the right one for the series? Let us know in the comments section below!

To save any more shouting from Aston works drivers, it's not actually Aston Martin no matter what the DTM says - just a private entry borrowing a badge.

More interesting than the engines is that they're taking the SuperGT aero kit, I think - GT500 are rather faster than DTM, trying to peg the new cars back for some of the tighter tracks is going to take some thought. TBH I don't see why they just don't take GT500 in entirety. Hell, run multiclass with German GT4 & call it DRM.

To save any more shouting from Aston works drivers, it's not actually Aston Martin no matter what the DTM says - just a private entry borrowing a badge.

More interesting than the engines is that they're taking the SuperGT aero kit, I think - GT500 are rather faster than DTM, trying to peg the new cars back for some of the tighter tracks is going to take some thought. TBH I don't see why they just don't take GT500 in entirety. Hell, run multiclass with German GT4 & call it DRM.
Afraid you got something a bit wrong here or I just misunderstood your message.

DTM and GT500 are running the same aero regulations since 2014 (which were introduced in DTM even two years earlier), so I'm quite unsure of the raw speed comparison. Of course SuperGT has the tire war going on which might give them a tenth here and there, but then again DTM had the V8s for quite a while. It's not much that both need to change and they'll surely gain/lose not that much.

The merger btw was intended to happen earlier, but since Mercedes was blocking the introduction of the new engines since 2016, they didn't merge earlier.

Also, completely taking over the GT500 rules was something ITR never wanted to do (the governing body of DTM) due to cost reasons - in 2018, the aero was reduced heavily on DTM cars to keep the costs low and multiple tire manufacturers were never even discussed.

Aaaaand finally some multi-class racing in DTM would've been amazing. But both the ADAC GT Masters (GT3) and ADAC GT4 Germany are run by a completely different governing body, so they'd surely not join the DTM support bill. Unfortunately!

edit: just wanted to point out that it's rather GT500 taking over the DTM aero over the years then vice versa.

Afraid you got something a bit wrong here or I just misunderstood your message.

DTM and GT500 are running the same aero regulations since 2014 (which were introduced in DTM even two years earlier), so I'm quite unsure of the raw speed comparison. Of course SuperGT has the tire war going on which might give them a tenth here and there, but then again DTM had the V8s for quite a while. It's not much that both need to change and they'll surely gain/lose not that much.

Pretty sure current GT500 aero - which when I was nosing around in the Class 1 stuff I read as the regs DTM will be using for next season - is a little more effective than the current DTM; my interest is really in the SuperGT end though, so I might have missed something and I might even be reading the wrong set of merger regulations, given they seem to change more frequently than I can keep up with...

Also, completely taking over the GT500 rules was something ITR never wanted to do (the governing body of DTM) due to cost reasons - in 2018, the aero was reduced heavily on DTM cars to keep the costs low and multiple tire manufacturers were never even discussed.

2018 reduced aero, 2014 same aero regs, 2019 same aero regs again? that would mean undoing the 2018 reduction? I mean, it'd make sense to run less aero in DTM ( I can't imagine Norisring with a field of GT500 cars ) but the two statements are not consistent.

SuperGT's tyre warmer ban might be a nice thing to pull in.

Aaaaand finally some multi-class racing in DTM would've been amazing. But both the ADAC GT Masters (GT3) and ADAC GT4 Germany are run by a completely different governing body, so they'd surely not join the DTM support bill. Unfortunately!

edit: just wanted to point out that it's rather GT500 taking over the DTM aero over the years then vice versa.

Well, GT500 grew out of DTM definitely - I think it's rather grown up and even outgrown it at this point though, and it's definitely a more interesting ( and liberal ) interpretation of the concept.

I know ADAC and ITR aren't the same body, but at this point maybe ADAC should just take over :p or just add a GT500 class to GT4 Deutschland in case they can't get a full grid, given central euro GT4 seemed a bit undersubscribed. GT Masters is totally full up, that'll never be multiclass while GT3 manages not to price itself out of contention.

2018 reduced aero, 2014 same aero regs, 2019 same aero regs again? that would mean undoing the 2018 reduction? I mean, it'd make sense to run less aero in DTM ( I can't imagine Norisring with a field of GT500 cars ) but the two statements are not consistent.

SuperGT's tyre warmer ban might be a nice thing to pull in.
Yeah was a bit unclear at this point, but tbh I'm not even sure who's gonna change for next year :p guess GT500 will reduce the aero a bit, won't they. Also judging by the BMW pics above. But I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in 2019!

That privateer entry already uses Nikki Thiim and Maxime Martin in their lineup in Blancpain, which are works Aston drivers. So I'm sure the DTM program will have works drivers.

That privateer entry already uses Nikki Thiim and Maxime Martin in their lineup in Blancpain, which are works Aston drivers. So I'm sure the DTM program will have works drivers.

Again, it's not anything to do with Aston and especially not anything to do with AMR, who employ the drivers & farm them out as part of GT customer packages. If you want to be shouted at, go ask Nicki if he's driving in DTM next year ...

Actually at this point he'll pretend you didn't say anything, but you can always go check out what he's said in the past.

"Works" drivers in this case would be HWA employees, so that'd be a good place to start.

Last edited:
GT500 doesn't use DRS either. GT500 didn't adopt the entire DTM concept until 2014 anyway...

Wait and see at this point seems the only sane idea, see if SuperGT is going to compromise or not ( I suspect not, actually ).
Even after 2014 GT500 didn't adopt the concept totally, there was a lot of car development allowed in Japan, Honda had a hybrid car running for a while for example. That's why this merge sucks imo... I'm very afraid GT500 will drop this war that they always got right.

Completely agree with you. Well the first part as I don't know anything about Australian Supercars.

The vehicles used in the series are loosely based on road-going, four-door saloon cars. Cars are custom made using a control chassis, with only certain body panels being common between the road cars and race cars. To ensure parity between each make of car, many control components are utilized.
All cars must use a 5.0-litre, naturally aspirated V8 engine.
Originally only for Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore, the New Generation V8 Supercar regulations, introduced in 2013, opened up the series to more manufacturers.
Nissan were the first new manufacturer to commit to the series with four Nissan Altima L33s
Followed briefly by Erebus Motorsport with three Mercedes-Benz E63 AMGs
Volvo entered the series in 2014 with Garry Rogers Motorsport racing the Volvo S60

2019 at this stage 6 Mustangs, 4 Nissan and 12 Commodore
So only one local car

2019 at this stage 6 Mustangs, 4 Nissan and 12 Commodore
So only one local car

I live in the southern US. Nascar backyard. Grew up on it, though it's not my favorite racing at all. Actually I don't even care for it. I remember though when Nascar expanded and let Toyota join the fun. A lot of purists here got real bent. Outside make competing. How dare they. Now most of those same people drive Toyota's and pull for them. And I guess it expanded the interest in the series some. I remember when everyone sat around the radio, yes radio and listened to Petty and Allison and Baker among others duke it out. We called it Stock car back then. That certainly doesn't still apply though. Ahh progress....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back