Resource icon

EA Sports WRC Bloom, draw distance and stutter fix. 2023-11-03

Login or Register an account to download this content
I was wondering, how can I just flat out increase the draw distance? I've tried your file and turning up viewdistancescale doesn't decrease the pop in. Or do I need to have the other adjustments with it? I deleted the bloom, motion blur and gama tone. I like the visuals of the game with my OLED HDR monitor and don't feel the need to adjust it because Mexico and Sweden/Scandia look awesome. I simply wanted more draw distance as it appears 1.3 did something weird to it.

Am I missing something? I tried setting your viewdistancescale to 1, 3, 5 and 10. I still get the annoying pop in at the same place where I am testing. I also tried increasing the viewdistancequality in the usersettings ini file from 3 to 4, to 1 and 2 and it doesn't make any difference. In fact, I would believe that modifying these ini's don't affect my game but I did limit the max fps through the usersettings ini to 90 fps and it indeed works lol

At a loss here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Am I missing something? I tried setting your viewdistancescale to 1, 3, 5 and 10.
That variable goes from 0 to 4. So any value above that would not change anything. At distance 2, I do not get any pop-in anymore on my end while racing, anything beyond that would just eat more perf while only affecting anything in the far background really (maybe noticeable on that huge straight in Kenya). I find Croatia and Estonia the best places to test that, as these two specifically are terrible without tweak. If you want to remove replay pop-in, I do not think there is anything that can be done as it is more an UE4 issue in general.

And yeah if you have a HDR display, the rest of the fixes are most likely unnecessary ;)

shadow82 updated Bloom, draw distance and stutter fix. with a new update entry:

Ground Cover Distance Pop In Fix

To reduce further the pop-in of grass specifically, you can add the following at the end of your engine.ini in the [SystemSettings] section :
grass.CullDistanceScale=4.0
groundCover.CullDistanceScale=4.0
groundCover.CullMaxDistance=20000.0

Performance impact seems to be minimal after some inital testing, your mileage might vary though depending on your system.

Credit Steam User : Mac Noslo
More optional tweaks can be added if desired ...

Read the rest of this update entry...

After 3 hours of testing on version 1.4 of the game, it seems that running this engine.ini file is still pretty much required. You can potentially scale the car reflections higher without seeing as huge of an impact as in previous versions.

If anyone finds out more and thinks the engine file could be tweaked further I happily post updates. I will also continue to do some testing, but I think we are most likely not going to see further improvement from the game dev side.

Does 1.4 offer any improvement to visuals and performance? I just bought a new ultrawide monitor and 7800XT gpu, but even on Ultra the game still looks like crap :(

Does 1.4 offer any improvement to visuals and performance? I just bought a new ultrawide monitor and 7800XT gpu, but even on Ultra the game still looks like crap :(
The game does look like crap, the only things you can do are adjust colours/gamma and choose the antialiasing/scaling options that suits you best.

There's not really a world of difference between medium and ultra settings, visually.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed there's little visual difference between med and ultra, not a huge perf difference either to be honest. I run WRC at native rez because the built in upscaler looks awful and blurry, I might as well just run at lower than native rez.

Been running Estonia and Finland a lot and noticed a horrible shimmering effect on the tarmac. DR2 looks and runs so much better than this.

Like in a lot of current modern games, I would rarely recommend anything beyond high (unless maybe the new Avatar game). Try to settle down on that, mostly high for everything, consider leaving reflection at medium and use DLSS or not depending how your hardware cope with native + AA.

But apart from the extra tweaks available here in the engine.ini and some of the updates to the mod, there is not much you can do to improve visuals further at the moment. Having said that though, it looks way better than most vocal people are spreading, for anyone doubting that just go back to older games (including DR2 - purely comparing look not performance !). It is on par with what to expect from UE4.

Like in a lot of current modern games, I would rarely recommend anything beyond high (unless maybe the new Avatar game). Try to settle down on that, mostly high for everything, consider leaving reflection at medium and use DLSS or not depending how your hardware cope with native + AA.

But apart from the extra tweaks available here in the engine.ini and some of the updates to the mod, there is not much you can do to improve visuals further at the moment. Having said that though, it looks way better than most vocal people are spreading, for anyone doubting that just go back to older games (including DR2 - purely comparing look not performance !). It is on par with what to expect from UE4.
DLSS Quality, or even the default temporal upscaler, looks better than the provided TAA. Running without AA at all is useless. I think DLSS is the lesser evil here, but it gives me big fps variations. Setting a fps cap at 90 or something will help.

Thanks for this. Game keeps removing 'r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1' from Engine.ini. Is this line not compatible with EA WRC, or should I just set the file to readonly?

Thanks for this. Game keeps removing 'r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1' from Engine.ini. Is this line not compatible with EA WRC, or should I just set the file to readonly?
Did not noticed that, but indeed. That seem to be a new behavior from version 1.4, they might have activated that by default.

If I want to run everything default but remove the bloom, how do I go about?

Also, for some reason my (glorious) dust trail in replays dissapeared after 1.4, no intergrity check of files or gpu driver update brings it back.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.