Bernie Ecclestone backs Red Bull’s call to rein in Mercedes’s F1 dominance

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/16/bernie-ecclestone-f1-red-bull-mercedes-australian-gp

I find this somewhat hypocritical considering Red Bull's recent dominance.Mercedes has done a great job in developing their engine. Renault who supplies Red Bull hasn't done as well. Red Bull, which is threatening to pull out and Ecclestone seems to think that the answer is to hobble Mercedes. I don't know what will come of all of this. I just think that Red Bull should have more class.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/16/bernie-ecclestone-f1-red-bull-mercedes-australian-gp

I find this somewhat hypocritical considering Red Bull's recent dominance.Mercedes has done a great job in developing their engine. Renault who supplies Red Bull hasn't done as well. Red Bull, which is threatening to pull out and Ecclestone seems to think that the answer is to hobble Mercedes. I don't know what will come of all of this. I just think that Red Bull should have more class.

I have to agree with your statement. Sounds like a childish tantrum to me ; having dominated for so long , Red Bull is now going to take their toys and leave. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I believe RB will leave F1 sooner or later. It is a brand that sells drinks, while they were winning it was good PR, now not much. Sure, rules could be changed but maybe then Ferrari or Mclaren or Renault would take the spotlight and RB would still be a customer of them, with not so good chances of being at the top.

They have very little interest to remain in F1 unless they win, and winning without a works engine is something that doesn't happen often. In 15 years Ferrari will be there, Renault will be there (after bouncing in and out 3 times), BMW may be there, Mclaren will be there, but Red Bull... I don't see it becoming a traditional team.

Mark Gormley

#14 | The Silent Killer
Not hypocritical at all.

In 2010 Red Bull won and double diffusers were banned,
In 2011 Red Bull won and off-throttle blowing was banned and the exhausts were moved,
In 2012 Red Bull won and the front wing deflection tests were changed,
In 2013 Red Bull won and they gave double points for the last race.

I don't agree Mercedes should be pinned back, it's up to the others to catch up. But if they were pinned back it would be nothing new, and not something other teams haven't been subjected to before.

@Mark Gormley
yeah but the thing is, all those that were banned were aerodynamic and slowed everyone down (Red Bull more than others) but it still slowed everyone down so it was fair, also what specific thing can you ban on Mercedes, name the one specific thing they have over everyone else, the engine, okay what part of the engine and in what way can they ban it so its fair for everyone, so that it hurts everyone but really hurts Mercedes?
I mean they could always ban engines and we can have Fred Flinstone thrown in back instead :)

Not hypocritical at all.

In 2010 Red Bull won and double diffusers were banned,
In 2011 Red Bull won and off-throttle blowing was banned and the exhausts were moved,
In 2012 Red Bull won and the front wing deflection tests were changed,
In 2013 Red Bull won and they gave double points for the last race.

I don't agree Mercedes should be pinned back, it's up to the others to catch up. But if they were pinned back it would be nothing new, and not something other teams haven't been subjected to before.
I agree with you mate, but still this is a ridiculous behavior. They are indeed acting
like little kids. Besides, I don't see Mercedes being that far away by the end of
the summer break.

James Cook

Marcas fan
I wouldn't miss Red Bull if they decide to pull the plug on their F1 operation. The true thoroughbred teams like Ferrari, Williams and McLaren stick with the sport through thick and thin, and look to overcome challenges. If Red Bull leave it says to me they don't have the same class and passion.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000