Belgian GP: Hamilton takes 6th straight pole

It's silly to say that he's only winning simply because he's in the best car. That's almost an insult to Rosberg who's been out qualified 10-1 and only won 3 of the 10 races this year in a car that's supposedly a full second quicker than anything else, and Rosberg is no slouch (I don't like the guy, but I respect his immense speed and talent).

IMO Hamilton is in the form of his life and is currently the best driver on the grid. His race craft and qualifying speed this season has jumped up a gear, and as a result he's simply spanked Rosberg, despite Rosberg being pretty bloody handy behind the wheel of an F1 car, and having a strong season himself.

Would Karthikeyan win if he were put in a Mercedes? Simple answer... No.
Even by F1 standards, Karthikeyan was rubbish and would not compensate for the 1 second advantage that Mercedes has.

Absolutely. I'd say the car accounts for about 90% of the performance, maybe even more, but what I'm saying is that only a few drivers on the grid can extract the absolute maximum from their cars, and Hamilton is one of them. I would also put Vettel, Rosberg and Alonso in there as well.

Those four guys are the "Big 4" in F1 right now IMO.

It's silly to say that he's only winning simply because he's in the best car. That's almost an insult to Rosberg who's been out qualified 10-1 and only won 3 of the 10 races this year in a car that's supposedly a full second quicker than anything else, and Rosberg is no slouch (I don't like the guy, but I respect his immense speed and talent).

IMO Hamilton is in the form of his life and is currently the best driver on the grid. His race craft and qualifying speed this season has jumped up a gear, and as a result he's simply spanked Rosberg, despite Rosberg being pretty bloody handy behind the wheel of an F1 car, and having a strong season himself.

Would Karthikeyan win if he were put in a Mercedes? Simple answer... No.
Even by F1 standards, Karthikeyan was rubbish and would not compensate for the 1 second advantage that Mercedes has.

Well said. There's no doubt that he's got the best car but I can't stand it when people say he's only winning because of it. He's a superb driver but not my cup of tea (too much bling :)) but his career results speak for themselves.

Racing highlights
2014 1st FIA Formula 1 World Championship
2008 1st FIA Formula 1 World Championship
2007 2nd FIA Formula 1 World Championship
2006 1st GP2 Series
2005 1st Formula 3 Euro Series
2005 1st Masters of Formula 3
2004 1st Bahrain F3 Superprix
2003 1st Formula Renault 2.0 UK
2002 3rd Formula Renault 2.0 UK

Karting highlights
2000 1st European Championship Formula A
2000 1st World Cup Formula A
1999 2nd European Championship ICA Junior
1999 1st 29° Torneo Industrie Open - ICA
1997 1st Super 1 National Formula Yamaha Championship
1996 1st Kartmasters British Grand Prix - Comer Cadet
1995 1st Super 1 National IAME Cadet Championship

• Deleted member 161052

1994: FIA helped this, but it was a thrilling season.
1995: Benetton was not even the best car.
1996: Yes, MS was in the Ferrari. That dominant car. And he took wins.
1997: In that Ferrari, with such a Williams, MS managed to make a great finale to the season.
1998: Big Mika vs MS battle.
1999: Hakkinen vs Irvine till the end.
2000: Mika vs MS battle until the end
2001: MS took it relatively easily but still 5 drivers won a race
2002: MS dominant. (3 teams won)
2003: MS vs JPM vs Kimi. Great season.
2004: MS dominant. (4 teams won)
And continuing with...

2005: Renault vs McLaren battle until the end
2006: Alonso vs MS battle until the end
2007: Iceman vs Alonso vs Hamilton battle until the end
2008: Hamilton vs Massa battle until the end
2009: JB vs Seb battle until the end
2010: Alonso, Webber, Seb and Hamilton battle until the end
2011: Seb dominant.
2012: Seb vs Alonso battle until the end
2013: Seb dominant.
2014: Merc dominant.
2015: Merc dominant.
:thumbsup:

Well said. There's no doubt that he's got the best car but I can't stand it when people say he's only winning because of it. He's a superb driver but not my cup of tea (too much bling :)) but his career results speak for themselves.

Racing highlights
2006 1st GP2 Series

Karting highlights

Exactly. His racing record throughout the years speak for themselves. The guy has won and dominated in just about every series leading up to Formula One. His Formula 3 Euro series was astonishingly dominant. 15 wins in 20 rounds, and that's a spec series, so that level of dominance is highly impressive and rare.

Racing highlights
2006 1st GP2 Series

Karting highlights

There's a bit of a trend if you look closely :) I must admit that it's boring to see the same old one two but until the engine manufacturers pull their thumbs out of the backsides and produce a better powerplant then it will continue.

but I can't stand it when people say he's only winning because of it.
I didn't say that..
I apprechiate Lewis as one of the top-class drivers along with Alonso, Sebastian, Kimi, and Daniel.

All I was saying is he has a fast car, and if the other 4 had as good cars the chance of Lewis winning the championship drops dramatically (but still possible!) :)
2011: Seb dominant.
2012: Seb vs Alonso battle until the end
2013: Seb dominant.
2014: Merc dominant.
2015: Merc dominant.
interesting that ever since DRS and Pirelli tyres we had one dominant driver/car. Except for 2012

Well one could argue he got a bit lucky with his F1 drive. We all know how hard it is to get from a Marussia to a Mercedes, but Lewis got the straight jump to McLaren.

Actually a little theory I was thinking about before, say you start F1 at a young age, you join Marussia for example. You have that crazy will to win, but it slowly gets sucked out of you because you don't have the chance, where as when you are in a winning car, you can always keep that mindset.

Actually I thought of this too.
I think he was a McLaren young driver, and unlike Magnussen used the chance he got. But I get your point. He started off in the best team immidiately (as McLaren was the best in 2007). Something I think Hulkenberg would love :D

in all fairness, 2012 was a pretty hard fought year between three drivers really, despite what the final points tally show:
- Hamilton won 4 races that year, but had 5 DNFs. reliability of the McLaren was awful in his final year with the team. could have really challenged for the title if it was more reliable

It would be interesting to see vettel in the 2nd Mercedes seat this year. competition would probably be very close with Hamilton.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 161052

In the other side: Yay Grosjean! Flashing back to 2013!

Absolutely. I'd say the car accounts for about 90% of the performance, maybe even more, but what I'm saying is that only a few drivers on the grid can extract the absolute maximum from their cars, and Hamilton is one of them. I would also put Vettel, Rosberg and Alonso in there as well.

Those four guys are the "Big 4" in F1 right now IMO.

I think it is clear that if Hamilton is squeezing the absolute maximum of the car, Rosberg isn't.

Rosberg's not a B grade driver, he has always been competitive and aggressive.
I cannot understand why he has been so squishy this year.

Rosberg hasn't done BAD though this year; he's consistently second place. He just gets outclassed by Hamilton.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back