Bakos Simracing Active H-Shifter - Beta Review

Hi guys,

I don't post much on here but thought you might be interested in a beta that I was very lucky to get involved with. I don't really do reviews, so apologies if this ends up with me just rambling!

The product is the Bakos Simracing Active H-Shifter, designed and built by Márton Bakos. It's a new H-pattern shifter that has built in gate blocking, so the stick won't go into gear properly if you mis-shift. It's still in development and the version I received is very much a beta/prototype version. For disclosure, I paid full price for this, and was under no obligation to write a review, my main job was to just test it and see if any issues arose.

I'll start with a couple of pictures. This first shows what you receive:

1.jpg

The first thing that jumped out at me is how small it is. It's really neat and compact compared to the Fanatec 1.5 shifter, which is probably twice the width! Despite it's size, it's a solid piece of kit. The casing is powder-coated metal with a really nice finish, and then the electronics are housed in a 3D printed box that is screwed onto the back.

The more eagle-eyed of you may have noticed something missing. No knob! The shifter itself doesn't come with a knob so you can add pretty much any that you want on it. Fortunately I had an old one from my Monaro, which I replaced because it was pretty scratched up. So I fitted that:

2.jpg

Mounting was a little tricky, because there were some bolts sticking out of the bottom, but it was easily solved with some M5 spacers. I think this has since been revised so the final version won't have this issue. The silver box it's mounted to was just a quick solution I came up with to fit it to my 8020 rig, I'm sure I'll come up with something more attractive at some point.

On to the shifter itself. It connects to the PC via a braided USB cable, and uses SimHub to control the gate-blocking from the telemetry of the sim. Setup is really easy, boot up SimHub, find the Arduino device and copy a few lines of code from the instruction manual. I love that this uses SimHub, because it's an awesome bit of software. Very intuitive to use and it supports most sim titles.

The shifter has several different modes depending on the sim and the user's preference. For SimHub compatible games, in one mode it reads the clutch position and only allow shifts when the clutch is engaged. In another, it does this, but also allows shifting without the clutch if you rev-match correctly. The game has to support this so it works in sims, but doesn't in more arcadey titles like Forza Horizon.

There are also a couple of other settings, called 'normal mode' and 'fast mode'. Fast mode opens the gate-block as soon as the clutch is engaged, so the gears can be changed really quickly. Normal mode requires feedback from the SimHub telemetry before the gate-block is opened, so there's a very small delay before the stick slots into the gear.

Both modes feel really great. In a competitive situation where every millisecond counts on track, then fast mode is the one you'd go for. It allows you to plow through the gears really quickly. However, if you're cruising round the Canyons or driving a 1960's GT40 and want the realistic feedback in every gearshift, then normal mode is incredibly satisfying.

There's a third mode which acts as a sequential shifter. I think this was really created for bug-testing, and whilst it feels okay, the version I have doesn't lock the lateral movement so it can still move to the side. I'm not sure I'd use it in this mode much, but I get the impression it wasn't really intended for serious use.

Compared to the Fanatec ClubSport 1.5 shifter, the H-pattern difference is night and day. Even if the Bakos shifter didn't have the gate-blocking and SimHub feedback loop, it would still feel so much more satisfying changing gear with it. It's got a much more solid 'clunk' to the gear engagement, and the spring to center has a nice weight to it. I still use my Fanatec shifter as a sequential, but I can't imagine going back to the H-pattern on it now. I'll admit, I've not tried the Pro Sim H-pattern shifter, which seems to be the go-to high-end shifter, so I can't compare it to that. Though the shifting of the Bakos shifter in normal mode feels remarkably similar to the quick-shifter I have fitted to my Monaro so I'm not sure how much more 'realistic' it could get.

So onto the price. As I said, mine is just a beta version, but I think the final version will cost in the region of 350 Euros. Though it´s currently just being developed and made by Márton himself and when I asked him what his future plans were, he said he´s planning on keeping production to a very low volume (batches of 10 or so) to ensure quality is right, rather than having it produced in bulk in China. Personally I think this is definitely the right approach.

I did have a couple of issues from the start. The usb port on the arduino broke in transit, but Márton sent me a new one out really quick, and I think he's revised the design so that it's less likely to happen in the future. And there was a slight issue with the code in the manual (which may well have been me failing to copy and paste correctly!)

I'm not sure when the final version will be ready for release, I imagine Covid-19 has slowed things down somewhat. But Márton is on RD so I'm sure you could PM him for details if you're interested.

I'm afraid I can't do a video review of it, but Márton has some videos on Youtube showing earlier prototypes in action:

I ended up writing far more than I planned to! Hope you guys find this interesting, I just wanted to share it because I think we should have a really cool new shifter coming soon. I'm definitely loving mine.

Very interesting. Does it read the clutch as digital (pressed or released) or does the gate opens or closes progressively as you press or release the clutch?
Neither of those. It uses Simhub telemetry data according to what each game is programmed for. However it does have a switch to enable mandatory clutch input as a digital value.

Upvote 0
Have you considered some kind of vibration effect that can be felt on the lever when you try to engage gears without using the clutch, thus simulating the grinding. That would add a lot of realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you considered some kind of vibration effect that can be felt on the lever when you try to engage gears without using the clutch, thus simulating the grinding. That would add a lot of realism.

Nice idea! That probably could be done with a dayton Puck and simhub. If the ShakeIt section can output a vibration for a missed gear. Might see if I can work it out on my shifter in the next couple of weeks (my rig is in bits due to a house move atm!).

Márton, any idea if the vibrations would cause an issue with the shifter?

Upvote 0
Nice idea! That probably could be done with a dayton Puck and simhub. If the ShakeIt section can output a vibration for a missed gear. Might see if I can work it out on my shifter in the next couple of weeks (my rig is in bits due to a house move atm!).

Márton, any idea if the vibrations would cause an issue with the shifter?
I'm not aware if vibrations would affect it in any way. There is a hall sensor inside, so sticking a buttkicker to its side might not be the best idea. Anything else goes, really.
I tried it in the past with a vibration motor and shakeit plugin, but was not fast enough to transfer the vibration. We are talking about milliseconds. If you keep it grinding after half a sec, there are different kind of problems. ;)

Upvote 0
Having the lever lock out if the clutch isn't pressed is an interesting concept.
But I think this is wrong for a racing gearbox.

All serious race cars with manual shift will have a dog box (instead of syncro) and can be shifted without a clutch IF gear speeds are matched. That is shifted up, where most can be shifted with just a throttle lift and no clutch and down the gears with a pause in neutral to blip the throttle. Most drivers would do this as it allowed left foot braking.

So what would be great would be a box that prevented shifts if the gears were not speed matched. This would require an algorithm incorporating rear wheel speed, final drive and box ratios, lever position and engine speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having the lever lock out if the clutch isn't pressed is an interesting concept.

All serious race cars with manual shift will have a dog box (instead of syncro) and can be shifted without a clutch IF gear speeds are matched. That is shifted up, where most can be shifted with just a throttle lift and no clutch and down the gears with a pause in neutral to blip the throttle. Most drivers would do this as it allowed left foot braking.

So what would be great would be a box that prevented shifts if the gears were not speed matched. This would require an algorithm incorporating rear wheel speed, final drive and box ratios, lever position and engine speed.

There are a massive number of production car based "serious racecars". There are MANY times more production based racecars, then there are purpose built ones. I own one, and take exception to the reservation of the word "serious" for strictly, purpose built cars.

Straight cut gears are easier to shift clutchless for sure, but spiral cut gears can also be shifted clutchless. I do it in my street car all the time...though it's not fast. It's a great way to practice finely tuned Rev matching---perfect matching is even more necessary in a spiral cut tranny.

As such, clutched shifting behavior would still be very beneficial. I still agree that Rev matching would also be useful, though. Even in a synchro tranny it is vital for quality rapid shifting, especially when shifting while loaded up, mid-corner. It's also important for prolonging the life of a transmission, both the synchro and the gear teath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm confused. I've never driven a racing car so I might be misunderstanding, but if you match the revs (by blipping or releasing the throttle) then you can shift without the clutch with this shifter because of its integration with simhub. If you miss-time the blip, or don't blip then it locks out the gear. Is that not gear speed matching?

Apologies if you're talking about something different, in which case just ignore me (or educate me, always happy to learn!).

Upvote 0
I'm confused. I've never driven a racing car so I might be misunderstanding, but if you match the revs (by blipping or releasing the throttle) then you can shift without the clutch with this shifter because of its integration with simhub. If you miss-time the blip, or don't blip then it locks out the gear. Is that not gear speed matching?

Apologies if you're talking about something different, in which case just ignore me (or educate me, always happy to learn!).

If that's how it works (for blipping), then "Yes, that's correct." What you are matching is the engine RPM with the selected gear/wheel speed RPM...so that the transmission input shaft and gear teeth can mesh easily. This allows for shifting clutchlessly, and keeps from upsetting balance when shifting mid-corner, and also keeps from chirping the rear tires in a downshift...again upsetting car balance.

Upvote 0

It does just that. Depends on the game, but works as you described in iracing and assetto corsa.

Upvote 0
More than a thousand words.
I just realized I posted this before.
Anyway, I'm working on American Truck Simulator support.
Trucker guys love to shift clutchless with those Eaton Fuller 18 speed gearboxes.
They call it floating gears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just an update, this shifter luckily did not die. :) Its called the Bash Pro shifter, and i've been on the waiting list a while, but hopefully it's in the mail in a few days. Looks very promising from the YT video i've seen so far. The price has changed a lot though from the $350 mentioned in the OP here. Its now above $1000... :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back