Bakos Simracing Active H-Shifter - Beta Review

Hi guys,

I don't post much on here but thought you might be interested in a beta that I was very lucky to get involved with. I don't really do reviews, so apologies if this ends up with me just rambling!

The product is the Bakos Simracing Active H-Shifter, designed and built by Márton Bakos. It's a new H-pattern shifter that has built in gate blocking, so the stick won't go into gear properly if you mis-shift. It's still in development and the version I received is very much a beta/prototype version. For disclosure, I paid full price for this, and was under no obligation to write a review, my main job was to just test it and see if any issues arose.

I'll start with a couple of pictures. This first shows what you receive:

1.jpg

The first thing that jumped out at me is how small it is. It's really neat and compact compared to the Fanatec 1.5 shifter, which is probably twice the width! Despite it's size, it's a solid piece of kit. The casing is powder-coated metal with a really nice finish, and then the electronics are housed in a 3D printed box that is screwed onto the back.

The more eagle-eyed of you may have noticed something missing. No knob! The shifter itself doesn't come with a knob so you can add pretty much any that you want on it. Fortunately I had an old one from my Monaro, which I replaced because it was pretty scratched up. So I fitted that:

2.jpg

Mounting was a little tricky, because there were some bolts sticking out of the bottom, but it was easily solved with some M5 spacers. I think this has since been revised so the final version won't have this issue. The silver box it's mounted to was just a quick solution I came up with to fit it to my 8020 rig, I'm sure I'll come up with something more attractive at some point.

On to the shifter itself. It connects to the PC via a braided USB cable, and uses SimHub to control the gate-blocking from the telemetry of the sim. Setup is really easy, boot up SimHub, find the Arduino device and copy a few lines of code from the instruction manual. I love that this uses SimHub, because it's an awesome bit of software. Very intuitive to use and it supports most sim titles.

The shifter has several different modes depending on the sim and the user's preference. For SimHub compatible games, in one mode it reads the clutch position and only allow shifts when the clutch is engaged. In another, it does this, but also allows shifting without the clutch if you rev-match correctly. The game has to support this so it works in sims, but doesn't in more arcadey titles like Forza Horizon.

There are also a couple of other settings, called 'normal mode' and 'fast mode'. Fast mode opens the gate-block as soon as the clutch is engaged, so the gears can be changed really quickly. Normal mode requires feedback from the SimHub telemetry before the gate-block is opened, so there's a very small delay before the stick slots into the gear.

Both modes feel really great. In a competitive situation where every millisecond counts on track, then fast mode is the one you'd go for. It allows you to plow through the gears really quickly. However, if you're cruising round the Canyons or driving a 1960's GT40 and want the realistic feedback in every gearshift, then normal mode is incredibly satisfying.

There's a third mode which acts as a sequential shifter. I think this was really created for bug-testing, and whilst it feels okay, the version I have doesn't lock the lateral movement so it can still move to the side. I'm not sure I'd use it in this mode much, but I get the impression it wasn't really intended for serious use.

Compared to the Fanatec ClubSport 1.5 shifter, the H-pattern difference is night and day. Even if the Bakos shifter didn't have the gate-blocking and SimHub feedback loop, it would still feel so much more satisfying changing gear with it. It's got a much more solid 'clunk' to the gear engagement, and the spring to center has a nice weight to it. I still use my Fanatec shifter as a sequential, but I can't imagine going back to the H-pattern on it now. I'll admit, I've not tried the Pro Sim H-pattern shifter, which seems to be the go-to high-end shifter, so I can't compare it to that. Though the shifting of the Bakos shifter in normal mode feels remarkably similar to the quick-shifter I have fitted to my Monaro so I'm not sure how much more 'realistic' it could get.

So onto the price. As I said, mine is just a beta version, but I think the final version will cost in the region of 350 Euros. Though it´s currently just being developed and made by Márton himself and when I asked him what his future plans were, he said he´s planning on keeping production to a very low volume (batches of 10 or so) to ensure quality is right, rather than having it produced in bulk in China. Personally I think this is definitely the right approach.

I did have a couple of issues from the start. The usb port on the arduino broke in transit, but Márton sent me a new one out really quick, and I think he's revised the design so that it's less likely to happen in the future. And there was a slight issue with the code in the manual (which may well have been me failing to copy and paste correctly!)

I'm not sure when the final version will be ready for release, I imagine Covid-19 has slowed things down somewhat. But Márton is on RD so I'm sure you could PM him for details if you're interested.

I'm afraid I can't do a video review of it, but Márton has some videos on Youtube showing earlier prototypes in action:

I ended up writing far more than I planned to! Hope you guys find this interesting, I just wanted to share it because I think we should have a really cool new shifter coming soon. I'm definitely loving mine.

Thanks for giving us your detailed thoughts and impressions. A very interesting read.

I had no idea this even existed but it looks impressive and I'lll be keeping a close eye out on this one for future progress updates.

Upvote 0
Hey, Duncan. I'm happy you sent me a link to this article, otherwise I wouldn't have found it myself. :)
Indeed, this COVID crisis sets back development greatly. Beta testing also doesn't go as easily as I intended. There are all together 4 shifters made for beta testing, 2 of which are already out, one of them is with Duncan.
The other 2 beta units caused me a moral issue, 2 people volunteered for it months ago, about the time when Duncan received his, but due to sudden change in their lives, they had to prioritize, preventing them from being able to buy the shifter. I made a decision to assign them to other 2 volunteers, who promised they absolutely need the units, but life changed for them also, as the pandemic brought more strict measures around the world.
Now I'm here with 2 shifters sitting packed ready for shipping and still waiting.
In the end I resorted to giving them away for free to local friends, as they are still being used tested for free than doing nothing waiting.
The other thing that slows development is my low budget, basically one beta unit not sold sets me back a month at least.
I have an incoming order for small parts to another 10 units, which I haven't received yet after 2 months.
You guys can't imagine how much I want this to finally become a solid reliable product.
Nowdays sometimes I feel like I'm at the last corner before the finish line, out of fuel, pushing my car up the hill alone.

Upvote 0
Hey, Duncan. I'm happy you sent me a link to this article, otherwise I wouldn't have found it myself. :)
Indeed, this COVID crisis sets back development greatly. Beta testing also doesn't go as easily as I intended. There are all together 4 shifters made for beta testing, 2 of which are already out, one of them is with Duncan.
The other 2 beta units caused me a moral issue, 2 people volunteered for it months ago, about the time when Duncan received his, but due to sudden change in their lives, they had to prioritize, preventing them from being able to buy the shifter. I made a decision to assign them to other 2 volunteers, who promised they absolutely need the units, but life changed for them also, as the pandemic brought more strict measures around the world.
Now I'm here with 2 shifters sitting packed ready for shipping and still waiting.
In the end I resorted to giving them away for free to local friends, as they are still being used tested for free than doing nothing waiting.
The other thing that slows development is my low budget, basically one beta unit not sold sets me back a month at least.
I have an incoming order for small parts to another 10 units, which I haven't received yet after 2 months.
You guys can't imagine how much I want this to finally become a solid reliable product.
Nowdays sometimes I feel like I'm at the last corner before the finish line, out of fuel, pushing my car up the hill alone.
Hi Márton,
Sorry for you to know that your beta tester can't test it anymore.
Anyway, as I already write you on your Youtube channel, I'll be happy to have it in my rig one day.
Can you tell us, what's your plan for the 10 units your are going to mount ? (after you'll be able to finish them of course)

Upvote 0
Hi Márton,
Sorry for you to know that your beta tester can't test it anymore.
Anyway, as I already write you on your Youtube channel, I'll be happy to have it in my rig one day.
Can you tell us, what's your plan for the 10 units your are going to mount ? (after you'll be able to finish them of course)
That is a difficult question. As much as I want everyone to have the same chance to get one, and I want to provide great support for every customer, I know that any way I choose to announce it, much more people will want to have one than I can provide. I can't tell when the next 10 units might come after that. I hate giving promises to things I don't have control over.
What do you think the best way would be to distribute the finished units in the future? I will post it on my facebook page, hoping everyone who really wants it can be informed the soonest.

Upvote 0
Maybe a very limited preorder system, first come first serve? There could be ten slots and a waiting list, anyone that signs up to the waiting list gets an email form you when the next 10 are available and it's first come first serve again?

I'd also add a deposit of €50 or something to try and stop people who say they want one but then when it comes to actually paying for it they decide they never really wanted it in the first place... That way only the serious people will go for it.

I get that it's difficult for people to trust someone they've never dealt with before. I guess you could say I took a gamble on the beta, but you seemed like an honest guy and in the end it massively paid off for me. Once it arrived and I got it up and running I felt like I got an absolute bargain.

Upvote 0
Maybe a very limited preorder system, first come first serve? There could be ten slots and a waiting list, anyone that signs up to the waiting list gets an email form you when the next 10 are available and it's first come first serve again?

I'd also add a deposit of €50 or something to try and stop people who say they want one but then when it comes to actually paying for it they decide they never really wanted it in the first place... That way only the serious people will go for it.

I get that it's difficult for people to trust someone they've never dealt with before. I guess you could say I took a gamble on the beta, but you seemed like an honest guy and in the end it massively paid off for me. Once it arrived and I got it up and running I felt like I got an absolute bargain.
That sounds like a good idea, however I don't embrace the idea of deposit, I hate accepting money before I'm sure I can provide the product. I will think about it. Thanks for the idea. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can understand your reluctance with the deposit, I just don't want to see you get burnt again with people not fulfilling their promises. From my experience, you already have a product that works really well, it's just manufacturing them that is needed.

How many kickstarters have been created with nothing more than an idea and a half-assed promise? The fact you're not going down that road says a lot.

I personally think a relatively small deposit seems fair to stop time wasters, but then again I've already dealt with you so trust you to deliver, maybe other people would be more reluctant?

Upvote 0
People involved might simply have bad luck. Half of my testers had fate turned against them, one of them even passed away. :(
Most circumstances didn't sound like an excuse to me.
I still want to believe in people's good intention.

Upvote 0
This is the kind of shifter I would like to have and price is not bad if the product works as intended and holds up. I don't plan to upgrade in the short run but will keep an eye on this. Looks like a good job by Marton from what I've seen.
And thanks to Duncan for the review.

Upvote 0
Don't worry, it's already working great with iRacing. I had the chance to test it today.
There is always room for improvement however, I'm open to any kind of offering that helps making it a reality very soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Gerzson any news ? development ? ready to sell some units ?
I've been under the radar for some time. Interest was greater than I expected. So far, I'm confident that I can start selling them early next year in small batches. It seems quite reliable at its current state. A lot has changed in the design since the first prototype, all for robustness and reliability, based on feedback from the testers.
A huge thanks for them, leaping into the unknown. :)
I will share news on facebook.com/bakos.simracing

Upvote 0
Very interesting. Does it read the clutch as digital (pressed or released) or does the gate opens or closes progressively as you press or release the clutch?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years