Automobilista 2 OpenXr?

Seeing the HUGE performance gains people are getting in games using non-steam VR headsets with openXr mods that bypass steam VR, is anyone working on an openXr mod for AMS2? or better yet, can we expect native support?

Considering a lot of VR sim racers are using reverb G2/G1s, this makes a lot of sense!

Bit sad to see Open Composite WMR has OpenXr support for many racing games, but no AMS2 support. (yet)

This game has come a long way and this would really be the icing on the cake for me.

Last edited:
I use a reverb G1 and it is so good for sim racing. I really dont have any issues with WMR but I have only been doing VR for about a year and the few issues are vastly out numbered how much fun it is.

You'll need 1.1.2 and it does work.....but from what I've seen using it you lose the menu's in VR (at least in my case I have if you want openxrtoolkit too) but the boost in visual clarity and frame times is marked

Last edited:
Hey everyone - I tried OpenXR 1.1.2 + latest release of OpenComposite and it works great!! I was able to play with it for a few hours and here are my thoughts:

1. If NIS or FSR enabled Menus in VR headset don't work for AMS2. You have to take off your headset to see the navigate the menus. Not great but definitely doable and worth it.
2. I followed the recommendation from @NuScorpii and went with the following settings:
(Best setup I found was MSAA High, FFR mid ring 1/2 40%, outer ring 1/16 75-80%
3. I have a RTX 3080 and HP G2. With FSR and NIS disabled all menu and hud works. I find disabling upscale removes slight shimmer and having FFR enabled was all that was needed. If needed you can lower resolution within the OpenXR toolkit. This is my goto right now and feels like I just upgraded by 3080 to a 3090ti lol. Thanks everyone!
4. I was mainly using OpenFSR 1.0 (following Davies guide here) but this mod is definitely more clear and provides better fps for me.

Thank you for all the hard work @NuScorpii and others. This is great for VR enthusiast!!

For setup info see link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/opencomposite-openxr.24915/#post-185095

Last edited:
Hey everyone - I tried OpenXR 1.1.2 + latest release of OpenComposite and it works great!! I was able to play with it for a few hours and here are my thoughts:

1. If NIS or FSR enabled Menus in VR headset don't work for AMS2. You have to take off your headset to see the navigate the menus. Not great but definitely doable and worth it.
2. I followed the recommendation from @NuScorpii and went with the following settings:
(Best setup I found was MSAA High, FFR mid ring 1/2 40%, outer ring 1/16 75-80%
3. I have a RTX 3080 and HP G2. With FSR and NIS disabled all menu and hud works. I find disabling upscale removes slight shimmer and having FFR enabled was all that was needed. If needed you can lower resolution within the OpenXR toolkit. This is my goto right now and feels like I just upgraded by 3080 to a 3090ti lol. Thanks everyone!
4. I was mainly using OpenFSR 1.0 (following Davies guide here) but this mod is definitely more clear and provides better fps for me.

Thank you for all the hard work @NuScorpii and others. This is great for VR enthusiast!!

For setup info see link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/opencomposite-openxr.24915/#post-185095
This is definitely a game changer. I was using openfsr and then openvr performance kit, but this way of doing it is indeed the best. I did notice motion reprojection shows more jittering, but if you set shake reduction to -30 in one of the toolkit menus (developer on I think) it runs great in motion reprojection. This makes it run best for my system and can up the gfx. Also dont need to use FSR so it looks very sharp even with having to set msaa to high.
This method also works great on Rfactor 2. Both run so smooth and much higher settings now.

Last edited:
Hi all. Please, if anyone know what I'm, missing here. Have installed Opencomposite, added link in *.ini file, done everything written here ( https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/ ), except WMR stuff, as I own Q2. But can't open config in headset. Ctrl+F1, Ctrl+F2, ... just don't work. This is from Log file:
[OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction is not available from the OpenXR runtime or any upsteam API layer.
[OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Application name: 'OpenComposite_AMS2AVX', Engine name: ''
[OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Detected OpenComposite
[OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Using OpenXR runtime Oculus 1.75.0

Last edited:
Steam VR has always given me grief, to the point I went over to a lesser quality headset just to avoid it. Well I watched this video today, and got my G2 out of storage and its exactly what was needed.

Steam VR has always given me grief, to the point I went over to a lesser quality headset just to avoid it. Well I watched this video today, and got my G2 out of storage and its exactly what was needed.

Do you notice the edges in your peripheral vision? When I use the settings in that vid, I get a significant drop in frame time, but find I can see the 1/16 as a fuzzy mess when looking straight ahead, although it goes away when looking directly to the sides. Expanding the outer circle to the point at which it's not noticeable then brings me back to similar frame times with steamvr. I'm using an older G1 though and running at about 2500x2500 pixels per eye (which is 140% in the SS settings)

Last edited:
Do you notice the edges in your peripheral vision? When I use the settings in that vid, I get a significant drop in frame time, but find I can see the 1/16 as a fuzzy mess when looking straight ahead, although it goes away when looking directly to the sides. Expanding the outer circle to the point at which it's not noticeable then brings me back to similar frame times with steamvr. I'm using an older G1 though and running at about 2500x2500 pixels per eye (which is 140% in the SS settings)
I have similar hardware as you, rtx 3090, reverb g2. yes I have nearly same fps compared to steamVr. resolution in openxr i leave it at 100%, in openxr tool I use quality / middle (performance is too bad in quality, yes). in Game I use AA = 16x, SMAA = middle. Shadows = low, everything else = maximum. So I get stable 90 fps on most tracks. MSAA looks great, but is too hungry so I use SMAA for higher fps. But overall compared to ACC it looks not as nice as ACC (with openxr). ACC has 90 fps, too, with even better graphics and sharper details. But yes, Automobilista has more tracks and cars, thats why I play Automobilista now. One more reason I use Openxr for AMS2 is, that I can enhance contrast, colours, brightness. original setting / image looks soo poor and muddy.
You can try this settings from WanderSchikanenTV:

-

Last edited:
Did install opencomposite/ openxr and even without upscaling everything native, I can drive at 90fps, in-game everything is ultra/high. Even on longbeach with a full grid at night it stays at 75fps at the start, but the big difference is that is stay smooth at 75fps no spikes and stutters! Really nice. Thanks Scott for giving me this info.

Did install opencomposite/ openxr and even without upscaling everything native, I can drive at 90fps, in-game everything is ultra/high. Even on longbeach with a full grid at night it stays at 75fps at the start, but the big difference is that is stay smooth at 75fps no spikes and stutters! Really nice. Thanks Scott for giving me this info.
Have a bit of a play with the Fixed Foveated rendering if you get time. You should be able to get a bit more out of it with no real noticeable degradation in the image, but I found it only works with MSAA on High for me and also move your head around whilst looking directly forward to check the outer ring isn't too small. I also didn't use upscaling as the degradation was too noticeable for me.

One thing to note if you have not already figured it out, you set the default resolution in a Microsoft WMR/OpenXR utility app - which I totally forget the name of. This was the reason I initially found no real gain using opencomposite as I just assumed it would take the steamvr settings, but it actually stuck the rez over 50% above what I normally ran. You can also set the rez per app using the more recent OpenXR toolkit

EDIT: just realised you are running SMAA - I might try that as MSAA is a real hog

Last edited:
Have a bit of a play with the Fixed Foveated rendering if you get time. You should be able to get a bit more out of it with no real noticeable degradation in the image, but I found it only works with MSAA on High for me and also move your head around whilst looking directly forward to check the outer ring isn't too small. I also didn't use upscaling as the degradation was too noticeable for me.

One thing to note if you have not already figured it out, you set the default resolution in a Microsoft WMR/OpenXR utility app - which I totally forget the name of. This was the reason I initially found no real gain using opencomposite as I just assumed it would take the steamvr settings, but it actually stuck the rez over 50% above what I normally ran. You can also set the rez per app using the more recent OpenXR toolkit

EDIT: just realised you are running SMAA - I might try that as MSAA is a real hog
Will check the reso in Microsoft wmr/openxr I think it's at 100% but I'm really positive on openxr!

I find I get better visuals and performance with SMAA and supersampling resolution with the "override resolution" setting in OpenXR Toolkit. Foveated rendering works with MSAA on high, or off, so it works with SMAA.

Hi. I tried this and initially it seemed ok. Now I have this strange issue that when the event loads my VR view is locked to the headset. When I look left,right, up, down the view moves with me, not completely but for the first few degrees of movement. It doesn't do it in the menus, only when the event has loaded so setup, options, start race menu then in the car. Feel like I changed something to cause it as it was fine to start with. I have tried resetting all to defaults but it makes no difference. Anybody know what I have done to cause this? Thanks

Unfortunately, that is a completely new one to me so I cannot offer any immediate suggestions. If it's when you are loaded to the track then that would suggest an issue with tracking between openxr and the game as prior to that it's probably just rendering on a 2D plane and not getting involved. Is it like a lag where the game seems a bit behind? i.e. if you try turning your wheel in car, is it also delayed? If so, the only thing that springs to mind would be the forward rendering of frames, but if you have reset everything to default it kinda rules that out. I have some tweaks to do on mine over the weekend, so I'll poke around a bit at the same time and see if anything looks like it could be a candidate.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 109 88.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 46 37.4%