Automatic gears not longer supported on the servers?

Omer Said

Weresloth
Premium
Hello all,

As i saw at the latest Endurance Event, latest Mini Fridays and S2000 Wednesday nights, auto gear is disabled. Is this a permanent change? Will all events disable auto gearing?

Sorry if i missed something, but in the past months, or even weeks, all events were autogear enabled.

Being partially disabled i am a bit sad to see this aid getting removed, even though now i drive with manual box only for a while i was forced to use auto box and i am sure others will be in the same boat also. I fail to see why it is being removed as lap times are slower with it anyway but at least those less fortunate had an opportunity to race instead of now being discriminated against.

Pity we could not ban game pads instead as that would be a move forward.

Pity we could not ban game pads instead as that would be a move forward.
Nice try Neil - I'm on a wheel now. Pity we can't ban whiners.

More seriously, the reason for it is to filter out some of the very poor dricing (as in hitting others) we have been seeing lately. If it doesn't work, we can simply go back to allowing auto gears again, not the end of the world.

More seriously, the reason for it is to filter out some of the very poor dricing (as in hitting others) we have been seeing lately. If it doesn't work, we can simply go back to allowing auto gears again, not the end of the world.

I think some people (like me) do more mistakes when using manual gearing, but i appreatiate the Staff's decision and trying to make it cleaner, if this will be a solution really (i don't think so) i will love this rule.

I can understand banning those helps in league races, but club events are daily fun. After a busy day of working and stress people join to races for some decharging. If those helps were giving unfair advantages i would'nt want them too.

As i say i respect to staff's decision and looking forward to outcome of this if it helps decreasing crashes or not.

Thank you very much for explanation Ryan :)

Nice try Neil - I'm on a wheel now. Pity we can't ban whiners.

Sorry Ryan, this whiner is still not convinced. This seems like a wierd way to address poor driving issues, why not attack the drivers who are causing the problem, rather than some arbitrary rule blamming all those using Autogears?
I have experienced some very poor driving standards (needlessly causing crashes) by drivers using manual gearing, some of it even by experienced drivers using a gamepad. :poke:

People making again a big deal out of nothing.
The Staff decided to slowly change not Ryan. So no need to find a reason to attack him again
If it doesnt work we go back. But i only see one post from somebody who really uses it (Omer).
So far i didnt have any complains in my events.

Keep holding the grudges and bringing them up if it helps you sleep at night.

Plus it is not my decision, GTR Evo is barely my department - I simply volunteered to come in here and answer your questions.

You're forgetting that I'm the evil rFactor guy whose trying to take over RD with evil rFactor events, spoiling the fun for each and everyone, bringing my posse of rFactor obsessed fanboy followers along with me for the ride, whooping as we whizz past destroying event after event.

You guys can be so pathetic, it's cute how you club together though. Neil and Warren prove that birds of a feather flock together. Really quite sick of you criticising every move I make, even when it's not my move. Surprised you haven't spammed any leagues yet about how things are unfair and how rules shouldn't be implemented in a certain way. Oh wait, Neil already has.

I work my ass off for this site - the least you can do is keep your age-old grievances to yourself.

Wow, this is turning nasty quick!

What about people state their case without being negative towards others. Like, "I can't drive manual because I have limited use in one arm that doesn't allow me to change gears manually. I have never been the cause of a racing incident. I will no longer be able to participate because of this new rule...", or the like. Like a mature discussion...

Facts are generally more powerful than assumption and judgement, people...

My fact is that, I have caused and been involved with racing problems due to lack of attention and care from myself and others. I drive manual. People who have hit me have used gamepads, wheels, joysticks and mice and used both manual and auto. I think that lack of care and attention was the only common factor.

Especially with GTR Evolution you can clearly notice in increase an bad driving lately. One of the reasons imo is that the game is quickly reaching end of life status with as a result that the price of the game is dropping fast (not to mention race 07) and some people that normally can't afford the game (read: find everything always too expensive) buy it and miss all the needed skills for online racing and behave as complete idiots in our servers that we managed to keep clean for the last couple of years.
Making the game more sim (no autogears, cockpitview etc) can make it significantly harder as we noticed in the RDGTC league. Making it harder resulted in that league in extremely clean driving and a happy crowd.
As with every decision there is always somebody not happy that the decision was not targeted at (Omer, wanna have my old Momo wheel buddy :)?) but thats a fact we cannot change.

Don't see any reason why we should raise our voice against eachother in this thread :)

@gamepads and swingman camera's: would be great to have an option to disable those in the server :)

It seems we are no longer allowed to express an opinion here without running the risk of being attacked by certain members of staff, bit sad that. I mentioned game pads and Ryan took it to heart as a direct attack against him and my reply to that was with humour and ended with a smile, but now i am being told i am pathetic, a spammer, whiner and we should all keep our opinions and concerns to ourselves.

Here was me thinking we were all members a racing club where we could have our say within the forum and but instead some would prefer it to be a dictatorship.

Is this the way staff members should be behaving when someone simple voices an opinion about an issue here?

But getting back to the original issue, yes i still have an issue with auto-gears being banned as i know i myself will maybe need to revert to them in the future. Yes like Bram says there is an issue with the level of driving especially in GTR Evolution and making it harder could help that but i do not think banning auto-gears will fix that. I think those that do use auto-gears do it out of necessity and not ease.

this is just my opinion but the start of a race is where i usually do good [make up about 15 spots on a good start, arc wtcc@mugello and bridgehampton/erc lottery@hockenhiem to name a few]

and becuse i am litterly fighting with my wheel to make it work it makes my driving worse [if u can believe that] becuase of steering sencitivity i cant use the flappy paddle gearbox i got so am forced to use kb - not too bad during the race - miss a gear somtimes - but its offf the start where it hurts the most to miss a gear and so totally ruins my race.

the change from auto to manual would be ok if i had 4 hands [peddles and gb work on wheel but the sencitivety of the steering is realy high - move it about - - that much at it puts my car on full lock

taking a break from rd racing to try and sort it out but i think it should always be an option - as its faster with manual gears but sometimes its just too difficult

The Staff decided to slowly change.

I need to stress that this change is not being implemented RD wide, and therefore not all Staff decided to change.

There was , however, a discussion (indeed there still is one ongoing) about driving standards, and this was involving some staff, who were/are responsible for certain events and certain sims, and this was one of the measures that those Staff members were discussing.

None of those dicussions named or covered either GT Legends that I run along with Carlos (GTL) nor the rFactor Caterhams I do on Fridays.

We, as Staff have been, and remain, able to run our events, in any way we wish, using any settings we wish, as long as it remains legal.

As I know that there are users in our events who would at least like the availability of auto gears due to issues they have with physical mobility, controller or whatever, so the option will stay on events I run, at least.

I think that the way that it was expressed earlier in the thread wasn't very clear, and caused some confusion.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

this is just my opinion but the start of a race is where i usually do good [make up about 15 spots on a good start, arc wtcc@mugello and bridgehampton/erc lottery@hockenhiem to name a few]

Shall i post a movie that shows exactly the opposite of what you are stating Mike? You really need to take a closer look on your own replays m8 and start learning from it.

Hey, I use a pad too:frown: haha

Anyway...here's my take on this...I don't think disabling ALL the helpers, whether it be forcing the cockpit view, getting rid of autogears and autoclutch, hell even getting rid of sequential shifting, and if we were able to, getting rid of gamepads will have a real impact on the driving quality.

Plus, not to mention we might be punishing a large group for the sake of a chosen few.

A better solution is to step up our infraction system. Make it more effective by increasing the punishment level. Not to the point where we get rid of all out members but to the point where drivers will think twice about doing something unsporting.

Also, communication is very important. If you see someone driving like a maniac don't wait until he punts someone else off in one of your events and then becomes an infraction situation. As a staff member I would contact that person privately and let him know what we expect of him while racing with us. In a polite and friendly manner. Luckily, I don't have anyone that needs this kind of warning in the GTL club, but if I did, I would try to reach them and change their ways before it gets out of hand.

Please realize that I am not saying this is not being done right now, I don't know if it is or not, just that it should be done.

That's just my two cents.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 80 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 56 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Forum trophies