Auto Union Typ C - Vanderbilt Cup 1937 #9

Skins Auto Union Typ C - Vanderbilt Cup 1937 #9 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
The flag on the side seems to unfinished.

Damn, I wonder why. What possible reason could there be for it looking incomplete?

UEwzwB-90sxfOxpN5kjf3qmfSLS6o-sat995maKZS5Q.png

I don't understand the reason for leaving the flag off the side of the car. Why censor history? My entire Deutchlandring track was the idea of the Nazi party - it was pure propaganda at the time. Should that be removed too?

If we are replicating history then I think we should try and show it as accurately as we can, warts and all.

(Btw, I am not a nazi, and have no affinity with the nazi party)

I became aware of this history blindness last Christmas when I built a plastic kit for my sister's son. There was a decal missing from Heinkel's tail... Yet when I mass produced plastic kits to fill my roof in 70ies and 80ies the decals were true to their historical real life example. This kind of self censorship reminds us of the fallen totalitarian regimes not the free world we are supposed to live in.

I'd prefer a version featuring the iron cross instead of the swastika. It looks somewhat similar and also stands for Nazi Germany in a certain way, but is much more harmless. As a German, I take a very critical view of the use of the swastika, unless it happens in a critical context. With a war plane I see this context given @iwn , with a simple race car rather not, although of course car racing was used for propaganda reasons at that time.

I don't understand the reason for leaving the flag off the side of the car. Why censor history?
I honestly can only agree... but my problem is the fact that I don't know what goes on RD and what doesn't. And frankly, I don't think I wanna stress that boundary much.
I'd prefer a version featuring the iron cross instead of the swastika. It looks somewhat similar and also stands for Nazi Germany in a certain way, but is much more harmless.
The simple reason I didn't do that is because I don't like the look of the Balkenkreuz when used to censor a swastika. I might add the diagonal lines to the flag if anything, as that does look somewhat "aesthetically pleasing" (please don't get the wrong idea here).

Yeah, I can see it from both sides. I actually posed the question to my wife (who has no interest in sim racing). I explained the situation and asked if she thought the flag was acceptable to put on the skin, or if it was simply editing history to leave it off. She said that she thought it was ok to show the flag in context (i.e. documentary about WW2 or on a WW2 plane) where it would make no sense to omit it, but a racing car would work just as well without it.

I get her point and tend to agree, I think :unsure:

I would like to add that this is a freeware skin for a freeware car and there should be no boundaries to represent historically correct skin among a niche of a game community. As they do with the popular combat flight sim Il2-Stalingrad series. Developer washes his hands like Pilatus but allows modders to add reality on their forums. Nobody harmed.

Yeah, I can see it from both sides. I actually posed the question to my wife (who has no interest in sim racing). I explained the situation and asked if she thought the flag was acceptable to put on the skin, or if it was simply editing history to leave it off. She said that she thought it was ok to show the flag in context (i.e. documentary about WW2 or on a WW2 plane) where it would make no sense to omit it, but a racing car would work just as well without it.

I get her point and tend to agree, I think :unsure:

when i build tracks, one of my favourite part was add national flags to track. only had a couple of issue, once when we build Opatija/Preluk (Croatia), we should use the old yugoslavian flag, but guy who help with track resquest us to use a provincial (or regional) flag for the track, mainly because the balcan war and all crime. for me it was the same.
Throughout history all countries have stained their flag with blood, many behind the shield of freedom and progress, for me if we are objective we really could not use any national flag. On the subject of car racing, I think it would be best to represent it as it was.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back