Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

After months of waiting the moment has finally arrived. Assetto Corsa is released by Kunos Simulazioni on Steam Early Access.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.

Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Yes it is realistic, it means the differential is doing its work. Increase the power differential and tell me what do you think :)

I have spent some time driving this Formula Abarth at different tracks, and it's a blast to drive once you really start pushing the car to its limit. I also did 15 laps to compare with you at Vallelunga and got a 32.3, and I can tell you that I had some scary moments...

Here video: (btw, I suggest all of you to unlock the hidden dev apps, you can edit the camera position etc, really nice!)

At the end you can see how that car isn't that planted when going at/over the limit.

I tested from 10% to 90%, in power and coast and mixing them.you can get overster and different feelings and in all cases I get that strange both rear wheels spinning with no rear end moving, this also "destroying" setup. You can see when you actually slide (after push as crazy and unbalancing the car) the car slowdowns like there was so much rear grip and recover grip again easily. This car in reality have enough power (you can clearly see videos mentioned and more) to slide in normal conditions pushing in exits with no speed loss, just see the difference between your driving throught chicane and Lacosta driving through the same chicane, the car behaves totally in a different way, I could not reprocude It even being aggressive with my wheel and gas pedal (I cant be more aggressiv because I go through that chican at full throttle easily...).

You can only produce oversteer and in the wrong way in tight turns being very aggressive and working the setup to do that (like you showed in your video), but far from be as real one. I can't even slide doing zigzags at high speed, just to slide a little and strangely in tight turns and with 2nd gear losing speed...

And wow... devs said before you need really to master the car and need lots of hability to match real times... you beat Lacosta time by one second in 15 laps... I matched it in 15 laps too and also did 1:32.550 with 15 more with default setup, I can see how hard is to master real times and driving :rolleyes:

You have to recognize is all strange...

I have no much more to say, so let's enjoy AC, for league racing will not be my sim if they do not improve that feeling, is a sim for everyone I gues... I would discuss again if I get an accurate telemetry to talk about, because the grip It's not the only issue I see in this car... that bouncing suspensions... agh, I can't drive with It, sometimes the car stills bouncing with no grip changes for 15 or 20 metters whil exitig some turns :O_o:

Last edited:
I just don't see that problem in this car, really. The rear of the car moves clearly several times on my video, and I can tell you that I also spun a couple of times in a very realistic way. Diff power makes a lot of a difference in that matter for me.

I don't know what devs say, but 1 second is not something I would be worried about. You can't compare a static environment vs a real track, where few degrees of difference, wind, humidity etc can make the track faster or slower. In fact if the different is just 1 second, they should be proud of it.

I agree with the bouncy suspension, sometimes it is too much. I have no idea if the real car has the same problems, but seems hard to believe.

I tested from 10% to 90%, in power and coast and mixing them.you can get overster and different feelings and in all cases I get that strange both rear wheels spinning with no rear end moving, this also "destroying" setup. You can see when you actually slide (after push as crazy and unbalancing the car) the car slowdowns like there was so much rear grip and recover grip again easily. This car in reality have enough power (you can clearly see videos mentioned and more) to slide in normal conditions pushing in exits with no speed loss, just see the difference between your driving throught chicane and Lacosta driving through the same chicane, the car behaves totally in a different way, I could not reprocude It even being aggressive with my wheel and gas pedal (I cant be more aggressiv because I go through that chican at full throttle easily...).

You can only produce oversteer and in the wrong way in tight turns being very aggressive and working the setup to do that (like you showed in your video), but far from be as real one. I can't even slide doing zigzags at high speed, just to slide a little and strangely in tight turns and with 2nd gear losing speed...

And wow... devs said before you need really to master the car and need lots of hability to match real times... you beat Lacosta time by one second in 15 laps... I matched it in 15 laps too and also did 1:32.550 with 15 more with default setup, I can see how hard is to master real times and driving :rolleyes:

I have no much more to say, so let's enjoy AC, for league racing will not be my sim if they do not improve that feeling, is a sim for everyone I gues... I would discuss again if I get an accurate telemetry to talk about, because the grip It's not the only issue I see in this car... that bouncing suspensions... agh, I can't drive with It, sometimes the car stills bouncing with no grip changes for 15 or 20 metters whil exitig some turns :O_o:

I have watched allot of the on-boards and put some good time into the car now , most the on-board videos match the behaviour found in the game but you certainly have a few on-boards where the car has a more skip barber pivot on the centre type handling.

In the videos you linked where the car is more eager to pivot on its centre or looks loser , the track looks somewhat moist maybe aspects of how the car is handling could be down to that rather than the car being inherently wrong ?

If we contrast the real world Fabarth with the real world F3 in general the Fabarth looks way more stable and "smooth" with the F3 looking to be a far loser more erratic car in general.

I really enjoy how the Fabarth handles , though personally I prefer cars that are slightly looser and more tail happy without you having to push it into a tail moment. I think The Fabarth is a good introduction to single seater racing for new drivers though.

The other cars in AC that are far looser all brake traction in a way that seems very natural and life like again given the nature of the road surface.

It will be interesting to see as more race cars come out how they handle , I can imagine racing these current cars on-line will be such a blast as there is such a tight zone to keep the cars in to be competitive.

Its easy to miss that "limit zone" with AC which should allow for far more dynamic racing than what we typically see in simulators where everyone drives like robots doing 1 exact perfect predefined line around the track , bar correcting for the default almost canned feeling rear end braking lose counter steer and wait for it to come back situations.

Last edited:
Its easy to miss that "limit zone" with AC which should allow for far more dynamic racing than what we typically see in simulators where everyone drives like robots doing 1 exact perfect predefined line around the track.

In this point I think in a totally different way, in AC is the most easy sim "TO ME" (I played rF, rF2, iRacing, and NKPro) I can stay pushing hard in the same tenth lap after lap not being scared for possible mistakes with no much practice :confused:

In almost every sim I need to practice, learn how to drive every car and track to find the perfect blance to get optimal grip, and despite of that I can't stay pushing hard all laps I want... whit LOTS of practice I can, but not as much as in AC with just few laps.

That robotic driving is not wrong, in any simulator or real life, even in AC, It's a track, maybe 16 turns, X Km, when you find the point, you can also drive unconsciously lap, after lap, after lap... when I raced in karting, and practiced lots of laps the same track, you break and turn like a f******* robot lap by lap in the same point :p with no conscience. If you change the braking point or the way you go throgh a corner It's because you are driving bad and have not much practice or because the conditions are changing and you adapt slowly while changing (tyre wear, fuel load, tyre pressure, temperatures...).

PD: this is something totally subjetive... so, It's not good or bad for me.

Mhh... try increasing the rear damper "rebound"? Too low and it can cause bouncing and also cause more understeer. It sounds related, maybe it's just a very conservative default set-up.

I dont realy like the Fabarth so i didnt put so much time in it to have something to say on this matter but instead i did alot of laps in the Lotus Type 49 and i just cant get enough of this car...And i saw somewhere someone saying the same about this one,that it has to much grip and some corners are flat on 2nd or 3rd gear...well i tried,i really did and i couldnt do it...everytime i almost lost it in the corners....made a video from some of those moments.
I`ll appreciate some feedback if this is still looking like it has to much grip,not to mention its on default setup.

In this point I think in a totally different way, in AC is the most easy sim "TO ME" (I played rF, rF2, iRacing, and NKPro) I can stay pushing hard in the same tenth lap after lap not being scared for possible mistakes with no much practice :confused:

In almost every sim I need to practice, learn how to drive every car and track to find the perfect blance to get optimal grip, and despite of that I can't stay pushing hard all laps I want... whit LOTS of practice I can, but not as much as in AC with just few laps.

That robotic driving is not wrong, in any simulator or real life, even in AC, It's a track, maybe 16 turns, X Km, when you find the point, you can also drive unconsciously lap, after lap, after lap... when I raced in karting, and practiced lots of laps the same track, you break and turn like a f******* robot lap by lap in the same point :p with no conscience. If you change the braking point or the way you go throgh a corner It's because you are driving bad and have not much practice or because the conditions are changing and you adapt slowly while changing (tyre wear, fuel load, tyre pressure, temperatures...).

PD: this is something totally subjetive... so, It's not good or bad for me.

What lap times are you getting

Anyone that can drive can keep doing the same robotic lap the point is with i racing RF2 and RF the game typically punishes you with erratic behaviour if you go just a fraction outside of the games predefined physics that you have to memorise , Id like to see a video of you driving in AC because when you really push i mean REALY REALY push the cars get exponentially twitchy.

Whats funny is RF1 onwards has trained simracers to be so delicate and pussy foot around its ridiculous , sure its good training and sure there are many cars where you have to be very smooth on the gas and being smooth in general will probably get top lap times with the right set-up , but as I'm sure you know its really the exception when you actually evaluate how most race cars are driven and how violent a process it is.

Game stock car , NKP , and AC all seem to be getting at the same thing in how you approach driving and the way in which the cars are implemented.

Last edited:
Anyone else getting brake lock up in bmw m3 gt2 with very little brake pedal input? Tried several brake bias setups with no help. Thanks

yup same here still trying to figure that one out... I am using CSP pedals (brake with loadcell) so I should in theory use a linear brake curve but I am using a slight curve to help me with the locking... It is probably not the right thing to do but it helps me quite a bit.

I for one am not complaining of the current state of the physics, the cars I have tried have a very fluid and predictable feel, a feel that correlates to how I would "expect" the car to handle based on years of driving many performance cars IRL. With that said, I will never claim I know exactly how a super car or race car should react under all conditions but IRL I have been able to drive cars close to there limits.
With racing games, some believe harder is better and more realistic but I think making them more difficult also makes them a closer resemblance of a "game". My 22 year old son is a "gamer" and can challenge me in some racing games but when it comes to driving a real car hard he is no match (we occasionally have fun with my BMW 135i twin-turbo).
My BMW is no Ferrari or Lotus, not saying we are comparing apples to apples but I also don't think the driving of those should be like driving on ice (netKar Pro!).
With this said, I may be able to drive these virtual super and race cars fast while lacking real world experience or hours of computer seat time but "compared" to others that do have the talent I will finish back in the back of the pack - it's relative. Those that put in the time and have the talent will still be able to shave some time off of those of us that can have fun virtual racing but won't be able squeeze the most out of particular car, it's relative.
It is a challenge to produce a virtual racing game, with an aim towards simulation, that is approachable for many but hard to master for all.

I dont realy like the Fabarth so i didnt put so much time in it to have something to say on this matter but instead i did alot of laps in the Lotus Type 49 and i just cant get enough of this car...And i saw somewhere someone saying the same about this one,that it has to much grip and some corners are flat on 2nd or 3rd gear...well i tried,i really did and i couldnt do it...everytime i almost lost it in the corners....made a video from some of those moments.
I`ll appreciate some feedback if this is still looking like it has to much grip,not to mention its on default setup.

"Don't floor the throttle.
Just because your car can reach extremely high speeds, this doesn't mean that you should try and hit full speed all the time! You will very rarely be able to reach the maximum speed of your car"

Well you know..this is what is in the loading screen of Richard Burns Rally.:):)
Personally thinking I'm feeling that of AC is more easier than that of GPL because GPL just demands you to try Sliding and Skiing in curve if you want to be fast. But one of the nature of the papyrus games is a fact that once you lose your grip, it's really supposed to be in tough time to get next grip. And that was only fun for me and I'd been enjoying it for 6~7 years. But AC's lotus 49 seems demanding to keep your grip but also the lotus 49 is capable of finding your next grip even though lost grip. It's very far from easy for me but I think it's more natural and any way easier than GPL and that of iracing.

• Deleted member 151827

Hey all. I am getting weird things going on at valleliunga and Monza. My fps stays at a solid 60, but the screen sometimes seems like it's moving in slow motion. My fps meter reads average and current and they both stay 60. Not sure what i can do. Any help? Thanks

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.