Assetto Corsa PS4 Controller vs Wheel Comparison Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa PS4 Comparison.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have released an interesting side by side comparison video featuring the Sony PlayStation 4 version Assetto Corsa. The latest video showcases the driving experience using both an add-on racing wheel and the standard PlayStation 4 game controller.

Showcasing the game with a lap around the legendary Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Kunos have used the GT3 specification Lamborghini Huracan, and the visual difference in driving style between controller and wheel is less that you would perhaps expect.

Assetto Corsa - PlayStation 4 - Controller vs Steering Wheel Comparison Video

Kunos Simulazioni and 505 Games are keen to ensure Assetto Corsa will appeal to as many console owners as possible on release, and the latest video is designed to alleviate fears that the advanced driving model within Assetto Corsa could make gameplay for those without peripheral wheels an impossible task. As can be seen in the comparison footage, it looks like the hard work behind the scenes at Kunos has paid off and a satisfactory driving experience can be achievable for players wishing to use the standard PlayStation controller.

Assetto Corsa will be released on August 26th (EU) and August 30th (NA) for PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One. Version 1.7 of the game is currently available via Steam for Windows PC.

Check out the Assetto Corsa sub forum for news and discussion items regarding all platform versions of the Italian simulation.

Will you be purchasing AC for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One? Will you be using a wheel or controller? Let us know in the comments section below!

I started with a controller and moved to a wheel 2 years ago, not even a great wheel (G27) but I'd never ever go back. I would stop playing all together before I'd ever go back to a controller - the difference in driving sensation between the two is like night and day.

My sim pit has been in the closet since I moved, so I've been playing on an X360. Single player has actually been quite fun on gamer settings. Multiplayer has been pretty good, but on realistic settings I can't be at the edge of grip, so I'm happy finishing mid teer. About a third crash out on turn one, so not so bad :).

AC is excellent with a gamepad, compared to other racing titles, including the big ones. Can't say the same about the video though, both laps are quite bad and many seconds off pace. Considering it's a marketing video I'd have tried to present something better.

Not even i'm driving as bad as the guy with the wheel....

Don't get me wrong - there are guys who are insanely good with gamepads, but your average gamepad user stands no chance against average wheel users (except of course they are using the full load of aids available and the wheel user is left with nothing but auto-clutch).

Just like in FPS titles where really great gamepad users can do great, but your average user will always get absolutely destroyed by K+M players.

I have absolutely no clue what the point of this obviously staged "comparison" video is...

Another proof how this game is arcadish. You can play it with controller , damn , how pathetic.You spend 3000€+ on a racing setup , go play online and some punk with 20€ controller beats you up, eh ,you peopla are something

Another proof how this game is arcadish. You can play it with controller , damn , how pathetic.You spend 3000€+ on a racing setup , go play online and some punk with 20€ controller beats you up, eh ,you peopla are something
Every single PC racing simulation is supporting gamepads, including rFactor 2 and iRacing.
You might have a slight disadvantage, but I actually beat wheel drivers online with a gamepad not only in AC, but Live for Speed, rFactor, GTR Evolution, GTL, RaceRoom Racing Experience and even in my short time trying iRacing with some Miata practice sessions. I'm not even a really fast driver, so someone with more talent can be much quicker than I am.

EDIT: And I'm definitely quicker than what was driven in the video above.

Last edited:
It could have been recorded by a person who isn't very good with either device, or just average experience with sim racing games.
So in a way it shows there's no need to be scared to play a sim with controller or wheel. More if you enable ABS and TC, is more than enough.

Another proof that sim racers are a miserable, sour, sad lot. Instead of being happy that more people will get to enjoy our hobby we have to degrade them based on the equipment they use to race. How pathetic. And as GTAce pointed out, all of the major sims can be played with a controller, so by your definition they're all arcadish. Right. :rolleyes:

Another proof that sim racers are a miserable, sour, sad lot. Instead of being happy that more people will get to enjoy our hobby we have to degrade them based on the equipment they use to race. How pathetic. And as GTAce pointed out, all of the major sims can be played with a controller, so by your definition they're all arcadish. Right. :rolleyes:

Amen to that Brandon. I also fail to see why the heck everyone else´s way of doing things is so often tread underfoot. Cheer up everyone - enjoy your 3000€+ equipment if that´s what you bought, and let others enjoy their 20€ hardware - and if they beat your times - well then they are probably better than you - that´s all.

Heck, we even had a guy in our Race07 WTCC/STCC league, who could beat half the field with a keyboard, with Auto Clutch being the only allowed "assist". Most memorable is the race on Philip Island, where the field was met with 100% rain (thunderstorm) and a 100% wet line... Guess what, he ended up on the podium! Repeat, keyboard w/Auto Clutch only. And the participants were around the level of RD races, ranging from aliens through strong sim addicts to the average hobbyist, spinning Logitech and Fanatec stuff. ;)

Thank you for saying what has to be said Brandon. :thumbsup: We all have varying ways of enjoying our games and nobody should be discredited for how they choose to play them.

With regards to the video, I got a good chuckle. No offence to Kunos, but I feel like this could've been slightly better represented than what is seen in the video. Yes, the differences in smoothness during braking, acceleration, cornering, etc. are apparent, but that lap with the wheel was appalling. :D Oh well, it does get the message across, the game looks like it will still be a blast for pad users and that bodes well for promoting racing sims to a broader crowd. :thumbsup:

From the description:
This video is a response to Kunos' gamepad vs. wheel comparison video and especially to those, who said they were driving intentionally bad with the wheel, to make the controller look good. This is me, driving with a DualShock 4, ABS and TCS on factory default, default setup. As you can see, I'm a good bit quicker and not even consider myself a very talented driver. Assetto Corsa DOES drive well with a gamepad!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back