Assetto Corsa: New cars, tracks and features released

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa: New cars, tracks and features released

After a groundbreaking start on Steam Early Access for the new PC racing title Assetto Corsa. The development team have been working furiously on the delivering next release which is available for free for current owners of the Steam game.

The new version includes; new features, new drift mode, three new cars and two new tracks! Furthermore this free update also features several improvements....
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

That's crazy, patching on a Sunday! These guys show true passion at every turn.

When they say tweaked engine volume on load, I assume they mean at high RPM? If so, they're going the wrong way about fixing the very few distorted samples. The gent(s) who does the sounds for A.C seems very professional, maybe he'll fix them in time; after all, it's very early release.
Devs said on their forum that the sound engine is not fully implemented, and a lot of the sounds are still WIP. So I think in the future they will add more sound enhancements and more realistic sounds. :)

Devs said on their forum that the sound engine is not fully implemented, and a lot of the sounds are still WIP. So I think in the future they will add more sound enhancements and more realistic sounds. :)
After giving the Formula Abarth a try I'm pretty sure the sounds are not completely done yet - unless it really sounds like a Renault Clio. :D

That's crazy, patching on a Sunday! These guys show true passion at every turn.

When they say tweaked engine volume on load, I assume they mean at high RPM? If so, they're going the wrong way about fixing the very few distorted samples. The gent(s) who does the sounds for A.C seems very professional, maybe he'll fix them in time; after all, it's very early release.

Some say that they prefer doing physics on a Sunday evening than having sex with supermodels, and that they live in Supercars for the last 3 years..... all we know is.... they are the AC DEVELOPMENT TEAM!

Yeah, same was with TP, when people were grumbling that Elise's engine doesn't sound like Ferrari's V12 or GT3 car...

In all fairness, ive seen videos of the Elise SC online and it does sound a fair bit different to whats currently in AC. However I take your point, people can't expect every car to sound like a rumbling V8 when it has an inline 4 cylinder engine... etc.

One thing I noticed is that the clutch behaviour seems different to before the update. Sadly, I need to use auto-clutch because I haven't got a wheel pedal set with a clutch (yet), so im stuck with 2 pedals. But since the update ive noticed that the clutch input meter keeps saying its depressed when it shouldn't be, like halfway down a straight or turning into a flat out corner.

In all fairness, ive seen videos of the Elise SC online and it does sound a fair bit different to whats currently in AC. However I take your point, people can't expect every car to sound like a rumbling V8 when it has an inline 4 cylinder engine... etc.

Well, there's also another layer of the problem - question: does the car on the YT videos is modefied, or not. And same thing for car in game - is it stock or maybe it has modified exhaust... There are many little details that many forget about, but which can make huge difference.
Also the environment of recording is very important and the acoustic design of the structure/room (if it's not a track), same with recording equipment...
I think it's by far more complicated problem than in case of i.e. graphic.

To me it's not so much about the tone of the engine noise, as about the intensity of the sound. When the rev counter is in the red zone and you keep pushing the engine to the limit, to me it should scream, and yell and howl and vibrate and writhe in convulsions, you know, to convey the feeling that it's either gonna have a petrorgasm or die of a piston attack imminently. The sounds in AC generally aren't bad, but sometimes it's like the engine was telling me: "OK, so I'm in the red zone now......would you like a biscuit with your tea, sir"?
Try and molest the Opala in GSC. It doesn't have a big engine, yet it tortures the ears very pleasantly.

To be honest I'd like to have switchable sky background. I prefer dark clouds and dark grey sky to this sunny Italian one ;P and I think that's a pretty easy thing to obtain - just change the blue gradient do dark grey, and white cloud to... well, also grey. It would add some climax.

To be honest I'd like to have switchable sky background. I prefer dark clouds and dark grey sky to this sunny Italian one ;P and I think that's a pretty easy thing to obtain - just change the blue gradient do dark grey, and white cloud to... well, also grey. It would add some climax.

I too would like to think they'll do something a bit more dramatic with the sky at some point and give it a good workover - it's a bit bland. A big, epic sky would be nice as you fly up Eau Rouge :) I kind of get the feeling that they've got bigger plans sky/weather-wise than just new sky textures though. Just a hunch, but we know they're ambitious and they must be on a bit of a high right now after all the hugely positive feedback they've had on the game. I think that'll spur them on even further than they probably planned even a month ago!

I do however think the trees do a fine job, seeing as they're designed to be rocketed past and not focused on particularly hard. I tend to end up facing them after stopping involuntarily (aka 'crashing'), and they look pretty good to me.

I don't think for a moment that 99.9% of the stuff we're requesting/suggesting both here and on the AC boards hasn't already been noticed and considered in depth by the dev team, especially soundscape-wise. I alsokind of get the feeling that they've got bigger plans in the sky/weather dept than just new sky textures though. Just a hunch, but we know they're ambitious and they must be on a bit of a high right now after all the hugely positive feedback they've had on the game. I think that'll spur them on even further than they probably planned even a month ago! It'll just take time, money and incessant nagging from all of us :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back