Assetto Corsa has severe stuttering

[UPDATE]: I reinstalled my windows and that seemed to fix the issue.

[UPDATE #2]: The issue lied in Razer Cortex, another person had the same issue as me and as soon as they deleted Razer Cortex it worked fine and I also had Razer Cortex installed which got removed with the windows reset.

There seems to be some sort of issue where Assetto Corsa has severe stuttering, the first time after booting up, the game seems to be normal but when you exit the map and load any map up or that exact map, the game stutters severely. I have tried everything so far, playing on my gamepad, cpu and gpu optimizations, turning down graphics and somebody suggested turning off spectators and I even did that. Nothing is helping, AC is the only game doing this.

I will also add a video of how extreme it is.

CPU: i7 - 9750H
Ram: 16 gigs
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660Ti

It's an Acer Predator Helios 300 if that has a specific issue.

Last edited:
the first time after booting up, the game seems to be normal but when you exit the map and load any map up or that exact map, the game stutters severely.
Your video doesn't work and you didn't post system specs or any performance info so I'm just guessing, but this could be the fault tolerant heap issue. Try this fix:
For me the FTH issue caused very long loading times and terrible FPS when launching a second or third game session after booting up, in the first game session after booting up the game would work fine

Your video doesn't work and you didn't post system specs or any performance info so I'm just guessing, but this could be the fault tolerant heap issue. Try this fix:
For me the FTH issue caused very long loading times and terrible FPS when launching a second or third game session after booting up, in the first game session after booting up the game would work fine
My bad, the video didn't seem to publish properly, did it again and added the system specs. I tried the fix you mentioned but that didn't really help much either. My situation is similar to yours though, the first session is good and after that it's just horrendous. I know it's not the fact that my system can't handle the game because I used to run it smoothly a couple months back when I had my G29.

Last edited:
I had a very similar thing going on last week...Tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally I decided to just do a Windows system restore...Chose a an older restore point date when things were ok....Bingo...no more stutters. Maybe it'll help ya.
(scratches head..):unsure:

Last edited:
I had a very similar thing going on last week...Tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally I decided to just do a Windows system restore...Chose a an older restore point date when things were ok....Bingo...no more stutters. Maybe it'll help ya.
(scratches head..):unsure:
I will probably install the windows all over again, the last time I played was when I had my previous wheel back in march. I am just upset that it only happens on the one racing game I use my TH8A shifter on, the rest I race and use the flappy paddles for :(

I will probably install the windows all over again, the last time I played was when I had my previous wheel back in march. I am just upset that it only happens on the one racing game I use my TH8A shifter on, the rest I race and use the flappy paddles for :(
Your saying even lowering the settings does not help and its always happen after going to another race, while the first race is running without problems.
Try to find out what is the bottleneck, maybe one of your CPU cores is on the >90% load. This can because your labtop is throttling back because of the temperatures.

Last edited:
Had bad stuttering issues in the past whenever Windows would automatically update my video card drivers. For some reason any driver version beyond ver. 441.66 causes AC to stutter on my system. Even if I manually update them. So now I just stick with version 441.66 and disable auto updates of my video card drivers and haven't had stuttering issues since.

There seems to be some sort of issue where Assetto Corsa has severe stuttering, the first time after booting up, the game seems to be normal but when you exit the map and load any map up or that exact map, the game stutters severely. I have tried everything so far, playing on my gamepad, cpu and gpu optimizations, turning down graphics and somebody suggested turning off spectators and I even did that. Nothing is helping, AC is the only game doing this.

I will also add a video of how extreme it is.

CPU: i7 - 9750H
Ram: 16 gigs
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660Ti

It's an Acer Predator Helios 300 if that has a specific issue.

Hi there,
In the past I have run AC successfully on a laptop identical to your specs. I have since moved to a new PC but I have at times suffered severe frame rate drops. As another has already pointed out it could be the fault tolerant heap issue, although when it happened to me I just had low frame rates and no stuttering. Just recently I noticed AC was running poorly and although the frame rate not terrible the game was playing worse than the frame rate indicated. I had updated Sol to 2.1x recently so I decided to downgrade to 2.0x and that fixed the problem. Also I once had Simhub hogging all my CPU resources and AC was running terribly. I'd like to help if I can, so if my suggestions do not apply in your case maybe you could list what extras you are running if any.

Last edited:
i have the exact same issue finally found a thread that has the same issue as me!
I almost thought i was the only one.....
i tried everything but nothing works does anyone have a solution already?
Hi chrisxander123,
Just curious about your stuttering issue - was the stuttering really bad from the beginning of when you noticed it or did it start and get progressively worse. Also can you think of anything you updated or changed that could possibly cause it. Like I said in my previous post, I updated Sol to 2.1 and thought everything was fine and then noticed frame rate drop. Reverted to 2.0 and AC is back to normal again. I'd love to know what causes frame rate issues because it's so frustrating when it happens. Have you confirmed you are not experiencing the 'fault tolerant heap' issue? That dropped my frame rate from 100 to around 40.

I also had lots of stuttering or alteast it somehow just didnt feel as smooth as before, a locked 60 fps or even 90 for VR didnt feel like a locked framerate.
After some trial and error and going back and forth with GPU drivers i finally found out what the cause was for me and thats "smart shadows".
When i enable this my cpu load goes to 100% non stop and im running a 10700K @ 5.1 ghz on all cores.
Never had this issue before and i dont know why this is happening right now but this absolutely fixed it for me.

I also had lots of stuttering or alteast it somehow just didnt feel as smooth as before, a locked 60 fps or even 90 for VR didnt feel like a locked framerate.
After some trial and error and going back and forth with GPU drivers i finally found out what the cause was for me and thats "smart shadows".
When i enable this my cpu load goes to 100% non stop and im running a 10700K @ 5.1 ghz on all cores.
Never had this issue before and i dont know why this is happening right now but this absolutely fixed it for me.
Hi Jerome16v,
Was the stuttering you experienced only in VR? I think I read somewhere before that shadows can cause frame rate issues in VR. I don’t think it’s limited to AC either.

I have something very interesting regarding the stuttering issue.
I recently bought a pair of Edifier PC speakers with USB connection. I’m very happy with them and they sound great. I was using a clothes dryer while playing AC and every time the clothes dryer drum switched direction, I got a pause/stutter in AC. At first I thought it couldn’t be related but when it happened it caused the sound to cut out and the stutter in the game. (More of a small freeze than a short stutter) Thought I’d share this in case anyone else is running USB speakers or another USB device that might be being affected by electrical interference. It also now explains what was happening in RaceRoom. I got some severe pauses in that game and now I know why. Would be really interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else. I’m considering changing my speaker connection from USB to standard line in to avoid this issue.

Hi chrisxander123,
Just curious about your stuttering issue - was the stuttering really bad from the beginning of when you noticed it or did it start and get progressively worse. Also can you think of anything you updated or changed that could possibly cause it. Like I said in my previous post, I updated Sol to 2.1 and thought everything was fine and then noticed frame rate drop. Reverted to 2.0 and AC is back to normal again. I'd love to know what causes frame rate issues because it's so frustrating when it happens. Have you confirmed you are not experiencing the 'fault tolerant heap' issue? That dropped my frame rate from 100 to around 40.
So, I talked to Chris and our issues lied with Razer Cortex, I solved my issue by reinstalling my windows and he did by removing Razer Cortex. There was no external issue for us. We used to launch the game just fine the first time around but as soon as we needed to go into a 2nd session, the game would lose its mind and stutter like crazy.

So, I talked to Chris and our issues lied with Razer Cortex, I solved my issue by reinstalling my windows and he did by removing Razer Cortex. There was no external issue for us. We used to launch the game just fine the first time around but as soon as we needed to go into a 2nd session, the game would lose its mind and stutter like crazy.
I am facing the same issue at the moment and I have razer cortex involved. I have a new PC and had to do a full windows reinstall. I will try remove cortex and see if this fixes things. But I am almost sure that I always had cortex on the machine before the windows reinstall. I will check it out though.

Has your stuttering stayed away since?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back