Featured Assetto Corsa Competizione, The Official Blancpain GT Series Game Announced!

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +14,702

Top GT3 licence, UE4 graphics, day to night cycle, dynamic weather, advanced physics with a focus on realism.. is Assetto Corsa Competizione the sim we've all been waiting for?

When Kunos Simulazioni hinted at a big announcement a few days ago, many thought it would simply be a case of confirming another licence for the already well developed Assetto Corsa software, or at the very most a potential AC2 first announcement. Not so, the team over in Italy have been hard at work behind the scenes developing a very exciting new piece of software, and what is more the new Assetto Corsa Competizione title will focus on a single racing category, the incredible Blancpain Endurance GT3 series.. a welcome hark back to the days when racing simulation developers focussed all their attention to detail on a specific racing series, something that Kunos are keen to replication with this newly announced IP.

Assetto Corsa Competizione 1.jpg
    Assetto Corsa Competizione 2.jpg
    Assetto Corsa Competizione 4.jpg

Set to feature a pretty significant shift away from the basis of the Assetto Corsa title we all know and love, Kunos have confirmed that AC Competizione will feature what are described as "photo realistic" graphics thanks to the use of the incredibly powerful Unreal Engine 4 graphics engine, allowing Kunos to move away from the single light source solution of Assetto Corsa and finally bring both time of day and weather effects to their racing game - a must when you consider the Spa 24 Hour is a key event in the real life Blancpain championship.

Assetto Corsa Competizione 3.jpg

As well as the obvious visual benefits brought from a move to Unreal 4 (see screenshots attached to this article), another key talking point from the simulation announcement comes by way of confirmation that Kunos are looking to build a sizable offline career mode around the new game, with driving school tutorials making a welcome return to a popular modern day simulation.

Alongside what promises to be a substantial offline element, the initial press release indicates that Kunos are also aiming to make considerable changes to the way Assetto Corsa veterans experience online play, with an eye on the emerging eSport marketplace the Italian developers are promising a well rounded ranking and matchmaking online system, potentially encouraging a much more evenly balanced online experience and less of those famous public lobby first corner crashes...

Assetto Corsa Competizione 6.jpg

Although only initially announced this afternoon, it looks like development is well on the way with this exceptionally exciting new title. Projected for a summer Steam EA release, I'll leave you with the new trailer to get the juices flowing for now...

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. We host quality League and Club Racing events, have a selection of fantastic mods to download and some of the best community conversation. Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
    RaceDepartment Twitter
    RaceDepartment Facebook
    RaceDepartment Twitch
    RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited? Looking forward to the new title? Let us know below!
    [​IMG]

• Love x 85
    • Like x 21
    • Beer x 4
    • Haha x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. mrbungle83

mrbungle83

Ratings:
    +53
    Im really happy about this, i love racing GT cars, hope they nail it!

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 7
  3. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +14,702
    Yeah same here, this could be awesome!

2018 shaping up nicely I reckon... :)

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Fryslanboy

Fryslanboy
    Premium

Ratings:
    +33
    Bentley, Bentley, Bentley. Aston, Aston, Aston. M6, M6, M6. Jaguar, Jaguar, Jaguar. Lexus, Lexus, Lexus.

I'm hyped, I like this. Although the most moaning on the Facebook channel are, 'can we drive normal cars? Why is GT3 hyped?'

Was at Spa last year, loved it. Really looking forward to this...

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Newproto

Newproto

Ratings:
    +196
    GOTY? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. bastoner97

bastoner97

Ratings:
    +731
    I'm hyped.. shame my old pc won't handle the Unreal Engine for sure... Maybe it's time for an upgrade :D

• Haha Haha x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Lorenzo Bonder

Lorenzo Bonder
    Wah wah.

Ratings:
    +1,835
    I'm waiting for questionmania with @kunos Paul.

We community have those ready at the go.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  8. Michael Hornbuckle

Michael Hornbuckle

Ratings:
    +2,713
    That trailer is sex.

• Agree x 10
    • Beer x 5
    • Haha x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. Caton XII

Caton XII

Ratings:
    +34
    Good to read, excellent to see, excited as a young boy... SERIOUSLY ! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. mrleman

mrleman

Ratings:
    +59
    Finally! Official and licensed GT champ! It should be successful like GTR2 in past with their idea of FIA GT champ!!! Expecting to see more realistic conditions and especially physics (hope they will use reall data). ATM all looks promising. Will see...:sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 7
  11. T04STY

T04STY
    Premium

Ratings:
    +44
    I'm loving it soooo damn much! Usually series licenced games are more arcade racers like F1 or Nascar, really happy to see an official licence titled sim like DTM in Raceroom!
    Hope it won't be a full priced Game, more like around 40€.

Really hope series like imsa or WEC might follow as dlcs! :)

Well can't wait! *-*

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,496
    @Lorenzo Bonder as an "active" modder for Assetto Corsa, you can imagine, I have a fair amount of questions :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 11
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. kamackeris

kamackeris
    Premium

Ratings:
    +939
    this is what i want to see....instead of a jack of all trades hopefully a master of one !!! really hyped despite AC being my 4th sim behind ams, rre and rf2.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +531
    By all the info they showed looks like this will be the sim I expected when AC was released. About damn time :)
    Pleeeeease have working FCY and virtual SC :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. apex11

apex11
    Premium

Ratings:
    +360
    Finally someone back with the balls to make a single series racing game!
    (aside from milestone motogp and codemasters f1...)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Bozz.gee

Bozz.gee

Ratings:
    +523
    As a huge fan of the series and these cars I'm so excited for the summer!

• Like Like x 4
    • Beer Beer x 3
  17. Torcano

Torcano
    Premium

Ratings:
    +543
    Seriously considering flying to Misano just to experience the damn thing since I have nothing better to do. Was getting heavily burnt out on the current crop of sims and this announcement is a breath of fresh air to me personally. This is the exact type of series focused dynamic modern sim I wanted. Good luck to Kunos on the project, really hope they deliver on their goals. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  18. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,080
    Hopefully its gonna be godlike so competitors step up and live up to the challenge. Once can dream for Reiza18 with such visuals :D Now lets wait and see what GTR3 will show us

• Agree Agree x 10
  19. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,498
    This is an interesting surprise.

I wonder where this leaves SimBin? Most of us kind of assumed that they would probably get the Blancpain license but looking at the excellent trailer Kunos have been working on this some time aready.

As mentioned by some of us already I think my main desire is a great offline experience as well as an online one.

When I race on something like GTR2, the offline is so complete and well thought out. Hopefully Kunos will have thought about that aspect of the title.

Looks incredible, 2018 is looking awesome already! :)

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Paul Glover

Paul Glover
    Lover of gifs Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +609
    I got the chance to sit in one of the cars for the series at Brands back in 2015, treated to a hospitality day. I'm excited about what Kunos achieve here, guessing it will not be DLC?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 3