Ascher Racing F28-SC V2 vs Cube Controls Formula Sport

Hello, hope you are having a good day.

for those who tried both, what's better? Ascher Racing F28-SC V2 or Cube Controls Formula Sport? I'm leaning towards the Cube Controls because of the lower price and general look but I hear there are always issues with Cube Controls wheels, and I seem to only hear good things about Ascher Racing products. thanks.

I have the Cube Controls Formula Pro since the end of October. And I have also tried the Asher at my dealer.
I bought the Cube Controls because I could get it second hand from a friend for a good price and it was only 6 months. I like it in general, but the shifters have a lot of travel and not so much resistance. To add some resistance to them, I added a 10x3 magnet on top of the existing magnet.
Also the black plastics around the button have some play and rattle when going over a curb. But this bothers me less than the shifters.
I also had a shifter that stay stuck in the opening position, but a bit of lube on the fixed that. Haven't had issues in the last 6 weeks after adding some lube.

The Asher has better build quality, but it looks more industrial than the Cube Controls rim. And the shifters are better on the Asher in my opinion.
The Asher grips are also a bit smaller and have way more grip. These are some kind of soft rubber. The Cube Controls handles are very hard and don't offer so much grip. But less of an issue if you have gloves with a lot of grip.

So it's hard to decide imo. Both have pro's and cons. But I quality wise the Asher is better in my opinion while Cube Controls looks nicer.

Upvote 0
I personally went with the F28-SC V2, I have not had any complaints so far. The build quality is top notch and the shifts feel good if a bit loud, I have not noticed any flex at all as it's built like a tank. It doesn't have all the flashy leds etc but is very functional in use.

Upvote 0
so it's just like what I read from different sources, the cube controls wheel look better but seem like a tossup quality-wise, some units last and some seem to fail after a while, while I don't seem to see anyone complaining about Ascher wheels. interesting...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so it's just like what I read from different sources, the cube controls wheel look better but seem like a tossup quality-wise, some units last and some seem to fail after a while, while I don't seem to see anyone complaining about Ascher wheels. interesting...
I wonder if the new cube controls formula pro that's supposed to come out Q1 2022 is gonna fix a lot of the build quality issues.

Upvote 0
I don't have either, but I have heard a number of complaints about the Cube Controls wheel including some failures. The only major complaint I've heard about Asher wheels is availability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went with the Turn Racing Button Plate and Formula Wheel option. Surprising amount of functionality with 2 funky style switches and rotaries that have a push action switch, superb build quality and price. Since I'm VR I don't need all the bells and whistles with displays.

For about $550 it's hard to beat

1641319607333.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went with the Turn Racing Button Plate and Formula Wheel option. Surprising amount of functionality with 2 funky style switches and rotaries that have a push action switch, superb build quality and price. Since I'm VR I don't need all the bells and whistles with displays.

For about $550 it's hard to beat

View attachment 530193

yeah, I hear turn racing stuff is high quality but personally I'm shopping for smaller wheels.

Upvote 0
I'd throw the Precision Sim Engineering offerings into the ring, but their formula style wheel prices are not for the faint of heart. I love my PSE GT3 wheel.

I could see using their LM-Pro wheel as a formula wheel since I'm in VR and wouldn't see the display, but to be fair the current Ascher V3 wheel has a lot more rotaries and completely maxes out the 64 input USB limit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PSE offerings look incredible and I always find myself peeking at them...I actually almost got the LM-X when I was going full out on my first rig build...but as a VR guy, I just couldn't rationalize buying the LM-X. Incredible wheel, but it would be mostly vanity for me in VR. Last year I emailed them to ask if I could get a custom LM-X without the screen, and as expected, the answer was no and to look at the LM-Pro. I didn't expect anything different but fully subscribe to the "It never hurts to ask" mindset. From there, as @RCHeliguy said, the Ascher's became the more logical path for me.

If they ever offering something similar to the LM-X, but without the screen and at a reduced price as a result of that...I fully anticipate a small scale argument to be had with my wife on why I need it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I fully anticipate a small scale argument to be had with my wife on why I need it :)

"need" is such a strong word. I think we are well into "want" and "nice to have".

If you "need" this, then I would suggest you need the help of a mental health professional ;)

If I ever started to spend serious time racing in F1 cars and wanted to have a wheel like that, I'm sure I'd find a way to justify whatever I wanted.

I'm not even using the capabilities of my GT3 wheel at this point, so that is a ways off.

I considered my PSE GT3 wheel more of a forever purchase, so it was a no brainer for me. It is still all I need for everything non-Rally. Now when I look at something like the $2K Varjo Aero VR headset that won't be released for 3-4 months and will likely have serious competition within 6 months of being released as being harder to justify. I don't mind purchasing fairly expensive hardware when I can't see planned obsolescence.

I've had my SC2 Pro for 2+ years now and to date the PSE GT3 wheel and my 330mm Momo round wheel for Rally have taken care of all of my needs and still do. I got both of those wheels at the same time as my SC2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I decided on and ordered Ascher Racing F28-SC V2 to go with my Simucube 2. At the end of the day I preferred the clean look of the Ascher F28 wheel, the plastic button overlays on Cube Controls Formula wheel look “cheap”… I also preferred to have buttons vs. toggle on/off switches as I think its more versatile for F1 type cars/games. Finally the two multifunction 7-way switches will come handy to navigate menus. i don’t doubt that Cube Controls is a great wheel but I think Ascher will work better for my needs.

Upvote 0
I decided on and ordered Ascher Racing F28-SC V2 to go with my Simucube 2. At the end of the day I preferred the clean look of the Ascher F28 wheel, the plastic button overlays on Cube Controls Formula wheel look “cheap”… I also preferred to have buttons vs. toggle on/off switches as I think its more versatile for F1 type cars/games. Finally the two multifunction 7-way switches will come handy to navigate menus. i don’t doubt that Cube Controls is a great wheel but I think Ascher will work better for my needs.
congrats on the purchase! if the f28-sc had a clutch paddle I would buy it immediately, I really think a clutch paddle would be really beneficial for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

congrats on the purchase! if the f28-sc had a clutch paddle I would buy it immediately, I really think a clutch paddle would be really beneficial for me.
Current Simucube wireless module does not support analogue axis needed for clutch, V2 should be available soon with added support for clutch on wireless wheels from Simucube partners.
Meanwhile you can use USB version https://ascher-racing.com/de/f64-usb-v3/

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back