Are there any rigs with a strong shifter mount

Hi, I have recently got an SG racing shifter and handbrake. The units are very heavy duty, around 35 cm tall, and require a large amount of force to use.

Due to the height and force required, my shifter mount on my NLR DD wheelstand just isnt up to the task. It flexes massively to the point where it's impossible to use the SG Racing units.

Therefore I am thinking of going up to a dedicated rig. Due to being a student and having far too many hobbies, money is tight. Some of the more basic rigs look great, but the shifter mount is always neglected and all seem to flex with a th8a, never mind something like the SG handbrake. The other, more expensive option, is to go with a profile rig like the entry level simlabs one, and order some extra profile to support the shifter mount.

What should I do here?

Thanks all :)

I think a aluminium profile rig is the way to go here for a permanet solution.

If you can build it youself it should be possible to get the pre cut profile and connectors around 400 Euro.

But there may be a temporary fix for your problem:

if the wheel stand itself is sturdy ( and heavy) enough so that you don´t push it around it should be possible to stiffen the shifter mount by adding some triangulation.

Just buy some angle profile from the home improvement store, cut, bend an drill it to spec and then connect the shifter plate to the pipe around the pedal the tray.

Won´t be pretty but dirt cheap ;)

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
As the builder of multiple DIY aluminum extrusion profile rigs, that would be my ultimate recommendation. However, what about a fabbing up a solid mount from lengths of profile, 1/4-in aluminum plates, and brackets to connect solidly to your Next Level rig as a kind of hybrid?

WARNING: If you're anything like me, you will become an 80/20 addict and end up building a whole rig (and more!)

Upvote 0
I think a aluminium profile rig is the way to go here for a permanet solution.

If you can build it youself it should be possible to get the pre cut profile and connectors around 400 Euro.

But there may be a temporary fix for your problem:

if the wheel stand itself is sturdy ( and heavy) enough so that you don´t push it around it should be possible to stiffen the shifter mount by adding some triangulation.

Just buy some angle profile from the home improvement store, cut, bend an drill it to spec and then connect the shifter plate to the pipe around the pedal the tray.

Won´t be pretty but dirt cheap ;)

MFG Carsten

Even though Carsten likely uses Motedis, and I use 80/20 along with occasional parts from T-Nutz and Amazon sellers, it's almost like we have the same "dealer"!

Upvote 0
A 80/40 profile build is probably the way to go, and from my experience those don't have to be as massive and thick as seems to be common.

zxGulnz.jpg

jpl3Aln.jpg

this is mine, very simple, cheap, but sturdy enough for my DIY shifter, pedals and a SC2. Important may be that I drilled and bolted key joints instead of relaying just on clamping pieces. I imagine if I'd made the shifter mount into a rectangle by putting an extra piece to the bottom ladder, it would be plenty strong for a hydraulic handbrake

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, it seems that something like the simlabs GT1-EVO cockpit would be ideal. Are there any other good value alternatives? Building one from scratch could be cheaper, however the simlabs cockpit is already cheap therefore i

Upvote 0
Even though Carsten likely uses Motedis, and I use 80/20 along with occasional parts from T-Nutz and Amazon sellers, it's almost like we have the same "dealer"!

We surely have the same addiction, but not the same dealer :cool:.

here an older post from the simrig thread:

Jan 11, 2021

I have tripple 27" monitors mounted directly to the profile rig.
Right now wheel base, pedals seat and monitor are connected quite rigidly.

This is the only picture i have at the moment:

IMG_20201122_184728047.jpg

Since then i upgraded the wheelbase to SC2 and tringulated the shifter mount to accomodate a handbrake with realistic force profile. ( still wip)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back