Are the WTCR the best cars in Sim racing?

They're new, I've only run them on a few tracks, so intel is limited, They're FWD, yet I find these cars exhilarating to drive and race. The feedback to my wheel is sensational, every race I've entered has been a riot and so close, right to the end. A mighty fine collection of Pocket Rockets that are forcing me to bulk up on the carbs pre race, just so I can last the distance. These cars so deserve a league. Have heard little negative vibes and the couple I have read tend to be from people unwilling to put in the time to tame them. On that subject I've personally never driven an easier to drive or better representation of FWD in a Sim. What you say?

I own allmost all content in raceroom and until recently I only raced GT3's and mostly offline. I never really liked frontwheel drive cars. Like the famous 'Gamer Muscle' on youtube says: they are only good for shopping :). I tried WTCC and was very impressed by the unique feeling of the forcefeedback. These cars ar wild and exciting, however a little too hard to drive for an amateur like me.

This all changed when i rode the WTCR cars. What a joy to drive! And a little nudge here and there doesnt easily ruin someones game. I had a races against the AI where i was soaked in sweat, finished second and was happy as a child...And the different brands all feel different yet are all fun to drive and very close in laptimes.

I still strugle with the lift off oversteer on special tracks like Nordschleife or Bathurst, but thats to be excpected i think.

WTCR 2018: a masterpiece!

Also don't be afraid to use a bit more downforce than what the default is. On quite a few tracks, it doesn't really slow you down all that much, but it does give you quite a bit more stability in the corners, so if you're struggling with them, it might actually help you over the course of a whole lap, even if you do lose a bit of time on the straights.

Not everyone can drive these with wing at -5 or -10. I know I can't, not without some serious struggle.

Also don't be afraid to use a bit more downforce than what the default is. On quite a few tracks, it doesn't really slow you down all that much, but it does give you quite a bit more stability in the corners, so if you're struggling with them, it might actually help you over the course of a whole lap, even if you do lose a bit of time on the straights.

Not everyone can drive these with wing at -5 or -10. I know I can't, not without some serious struggle.
Was trying to get my head around my shiny new VW at Mantorp and was struggling with the ol' lift off oversteer and weaker brakes ( I enjoy the WTCC and thought I could just get in and go....). A bit underwhelmed.
Next time, I went to Macau ( might as well jump in the deep end) and thought I'd just cruise around until I got used to the new car. Read your post and knocked the rear wing to +5....that settled the rascal right down. Ran a race at 92% to make it easy on myself....only qualified 16th, but had a very fun race, staying off the walls and picking my way through the carnage ( a traffic jam on lap 3 due to crash) and ended up 6th. Thanks for your tip, I now like my Golf and look forward to my next race.

Someone care to differentiate these from the WTCC 201x/2017? I see they're bit heavier, but that's all I found. Just not too excited about the default test track. I have the WTCC 2017 Cruze and enjoyed some racing with AI.

Last edited:
Someone care to differentiate these from the WTCC 201x/2017? I see they're bit heavier, but that's all I found. Just not too excited about the default test track. I have the WTCC 2017 Cruze and enjoyed some racing with AI.

Hello, yes. Compared to WTCC cars,they're much closer to what rolls off the production line. It's a standard road shell, with a rollcage added. Suspension dampers and springs are allowed to be changed, and brakes are uprated. Engines are unmodified engine, but boost pressures are adjusted to equalise power across the class. On the outside, a body kit is added with wider arches, a splitter and a wing, but other panels including doors are still production items.

WTCC allowed a lot more modifications than that, especially with bodywork and suspension.

• Deleted member 387850

Hello, yes. Compared to WTCC cars,they're much closer to what rolls off the production line. It's a standard road shell, with a rollcage added. Suspension dampers and springs are allowed to be changed, and brakes are uprated. Engines are unmodified engine, but boost pressures are adjusted to equalise power across the class. On the outside, a body kit is added with wider arches, a splitter and a wing, but other panels including doors are still production items.

WTCC allowed a lot more modifications than that, especially with bodywork and suspension.

Very interesting, I've always meant to ask about this! So is the chassis for a WTCR car literally the chassis that rolls off the production line? I mistakenly thought they were all using a similar chassis with just a bodyshell dropped on top, but it's good to see they are staying truer to the idea of production car racing! Were the WTCC cars also based on the production bodyshell and chassis, albeit with more modifications allowed?

Looking at the TCR regs you can run a production gearbox and have a lower minimum weight limit, or a sequential racing gearbox with a higher weight limit. I assume all the cars in WTCR went with the racing gearbox and the benefits of that far outstrip the additional weight?

Very interesting, I've always meant to ask about this! So is the chassis for a WTCR car literally the chassis that rolls off the production line? I mistakenly thought they were all using a similar chassis with just a bodyshell dropped on top, but it's good to see they are staying truer to the idea of production car racing! Were the WTCC cars also based on the production bodyshell and chassis, albeit with more modifications allowed?

Looking at the TCR regs you can run a production gearbox and have a lower minimum weight limit, or a sequential racing gearbox with a higher weight limit. I assume all the cars in WTCR went with the racing gearbox and the benefits of that far outstrip the additional weight?
The WTCC 2017 times at Nurburgring were about 10 seconds less than WTCR, so they are faster! Spec differences are hard to find, but I assume they are lighter and have better brakes.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back