Anyone see this? CSL Direct Drive.

Attachments

• bandicam 2021-04-21 19-22-24-726.jpg
    bandicam 2021-04-21 19-22-24-726.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 223
The QR looks improved.
Seems like Fanatec is contradicting themselves a bit there..
Your picture looks like taken from the video. However on their page, below the video, it looks exactly like the Clubsport QR:

TYK5WYZ63CW8.jpg

CS_WB_V2_5_preview_2.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm guessing this is a loss leader to entice people into their DD market and ec system. Even still I won't be touching it until someone who isn't a youtuber shill has put it through it paces.

For me getting rid of my g29, pedals and shifter for this is still a 1k plus investment to get back to replace them all. It will probably end up in an 3080 type inflation market anyway.

Upvote 0
A Fanatec wheel costs £350 the same as the new CSL DD.
Depends on the wheel, but sadly fanatec got rid of the 99€ rubber-grip rim and made it a 199€ Alcantara wrc wheel.
They also stopped the formula carbon/black wheel, which only cost 250€.

However the McLaren wheel is pretty great nowadays and only 229€ Afaik?

Anyway the 199€ wheel is not really below the thrustmaster rims so it's still "okay" and similar to a ts-pc.

Upvote 0
Seems like Fanatec is contradicting themselves a bit there..
Your picture looks like taken from the video. However on their page, below the video, it looks exactly like the Clubsport QR:

TYK5WYZ63CW8.jpg

CS_WB_V2_5_preview_2.jpg

The shaft on the new DD motor is removable and replaceable with their new QR system whatever that may be.If you watch the reveal vid it shows the shaft coming off and that's what the big squared clamp collar at the shaft's base is for.

This way people can still use the og system but those that want to upgrade or just start on the new system can do so as well.

Upvote 0
I don't have high hopes for cheap(er) rims from Fanatec. Their latest CSL hub is pretty much universally criticized for its flex and overall quality, and on the owners' group broken simplified QR (both old bolt secured one and the new hand tighten one) pictures are posted pretty much every day.

Also with a cheap DD base announced (and people will buy) I see no reason for Fanatec to have cheaper rims than what they are selling now, unless they wish to profit less.

Upvote 0
I don't have high hopes for cheap(er) rims from Fanatec. Their latest CSL hub is pretty much universally criticized for its flex and overall quality, and on the owners' group broken simplified QR (both old bolt secured one and the new hand tighten one) pictures are posted pretty much every day.

Also with a cheap DD base announced (and people will buy) I see no reason for Fanatec to have cheaper rims than what they are selling now, unless they wish to profit less.
I was pretty close to ordering the CSL Hub. Glad that I didn't. The issue I have with it is the paddles. They are just too flimsy looking, and that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in it's quality. Fanatec should have used metal where it would make the most sense on that hub, mainly on the face plate where the threaded inserts are, and on the shifter paddles. On top of that the paddles should be removable... Possibly upgradeable.

Issues with the simplified quick release? Uh-oh.

Upvote 0
One of the questions often posed in DD discussions is why anyone would need a motor that can produce 20-30NM when most people turn it down to around, say, 10-12, or maybe lower. Answers usually include reasons like avoiding clipping, and that running the parts well below their limits keeps them going for much longer.

Would this 5-8NM motor be prone to clipping and reduced component durability?

edit: This may be something for reviewers to look in to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would this 5-8NM motor be prone to clipping
That is the range of torque required to steer light road cars without power steering,
e.g. sports cars of mid 50s-60s. Consequently, additional feedback beyond steering torque would be clipped. Brief but abrupt feedbacks must overcome steering wheel rotational inertia; a 5-8Nm motor will be more responsive with light steering wheels of small diameter.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Sim-plicity had their lowest offering at 8Nm, anybody tried one to share how lacking the power is.
My personal opinion, with power like that the wheelbase is DD in name only. DINO. :roflmao:

Upvote 0
There are some reviews of the Simplicity 7nm wheel from before, William Marsh did one (
).

GamerMuscle reviewed the simplicity SW20 3 years ago (
) but there haven't been many reviews of the simplicity offerings. Laurence did one recently (
) and wasn't very impressed.

They also do as a company some 13nm wheels which ought to hit that sweet spot and they are quite a bit cheaper than the VRS direct force and accuforce. But they have in practice never done very well due to being an opensimwheel but using custom software.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Personally, I would want a DD wheel for increased rotational speed and fine detail FFB, rather than arm-straining forces.
Achieving quick acceleration and on a dime direction change requires high torque which is a product of power.

Upvote 0
Achieving quick acceleration and on a dime direction change requires high torque which is a product of power.

It's a torque vs rotational-mass thing. CSL DD is the same torque as CSW but is engineered for low rotational mass. It's not controversial to to say it's going to have the same holding torque as CSW while being capable of a more detailed and nuanced response, especially without belts further damping things.

Upvote 0
Where does lower rotational mass in the larger motor come from, carbon fiber shaft?

I'm sure that contributes but in the base the only other thing that even has rotating mass are the elements actively driving it. Compare that to CSW which has 2 pulleys + belts and a large shaft/bearings which are dead weight/inertia for the motor to overcome on every acceleration it applies.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 235 88.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 49 18.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 71 26.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 90 33.7%