Anyone here with HTC Vive try the Real VR lens mod upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Ferenczy36, May 3, 2018.

1. Ferenczy36

Ferenczy36
    Premium

Ratings:
    +12
    I see there is a popular mod floating around right now which you take the lenses out of a Samsung Real VR headset, and snap them into some 3D printed mounting rings to swap out the stock Vive crappy fresnel lenses (see link below). Just wondering if anyone here has tried it?

Apparently it eliminates the god rays and widens the sweet spot significantly so more of the visible view is in focus to the point you can actually look around the FOV with your eyes instead of leaving your eyes in the same spot and moving your head to keep things in focus. There is also talk that this mod warps the image slightly but there is another guy out there with a algorithm you can mod the image on the Vive's screens to compensate for the warping.

Thinking of diving into it as my local library has a 3D printing lab that operates off of a grant right now so having the mounting rings printed is $0, and found a used Gear VR on Craigslist for $15.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837804

2. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford
    Premium

Ratings:
    +136
    There's a great video here showing the installation and demonstration of the difference. It really does appear to improve the visuals.

3. Ferenczy36

Ferenczy36
    Premium

Ratings:
    +12
    Yup, saw that video as well. It's what has me seriously thinking of trying it out. Looks to be a vast improvement over the stock lenses.

4. Terry Rock

Terry Rock

Ratings:
    +558
    I've always wondered if this type of mod was possible..
    I have eight really nice lenses from the JVC 2200 projector lamps and have been looking for a good use for them.

5. Ferenczy36

Ferenczy36
    Premium

Ratings:
    +12
    Alright. Got my lens adapters yesterday and only took me 30-minutes tops to do this mod, including uploading the barrel distortion mod file. Kudos to the mad geniuses that figured this out. Vastly improved clarity. I don't feel like I'm looking through a couple of lenses smeared in vaseline anymore. There is still a very small ray/arc of light but nothing like the god rays the plagued the fresnel lenses.

Pro tip for those doing this to avoid dust getting in there or on the lenses. Get a can of air duster. Blow off the areas around the lenses of the Vive really good before even starting to remove the lenses. Have your Gear VR lenses in the adapters, cleaned off and air dusted, then set aside covered with a microfiber cloth. Hold the Vive so lens area is facing slightly downward, and start to pry the lens off. Once lens it is loose, turn totally upside down so once lens comes out, no dust falling downward enters the open cavity to the screens. Uncover Gear VR lenses, blow them off with duster one more time, then blast some air up inside the cavity towards the screens while still holding upside down...then grab that new lens and pop it in there quick. Did this on both sides and came out with zero visible dust particles.

I did notice the barrel distortion. At first I had to look for it, but once I knew it was there and moved my head around I could feel how it could mess with your head a little. So I applied the Version 3 file mod using the instructions online which were easy to follow and noticed a pretty good improvement. The other key to getting the least amount of distortion is making sure you are looking through the sweet spot on these lenses. Because the FOV is clearer further out to the edges, it's a little harder to find the sweet spot. With the mod file applied though I don't notice any barrel distortion any longer.

Turned some laps in RF2, AC, and PC2 last night. All looked great and now instead of always having to move my head to keep my eyes looking straight through the old lenses sweet spot to keep things in focus, I can move my eyes instead more to look through corners.

This is awesome! Will report back if I notice any negative effects but for now it's perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  6. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford
    Premium

Ratings:
    +136
    Fantastic, you've got me seriously considering this mod now.

7. Gaudin

Gaudin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +88
    If it's that simple, why don't they fit this nice lenses in the first place...:thumbsdown:

I like the mod, having read the following, I tend to wait to the end of my warranty to maybe have a go a this:

Judging from reports, it's important to note that there appears to be some significant variance between lens batches (both vive and gearvr). That unfortunately means the pre-lens distortion file does not work as well for some users and in some cases could be uncomfortable and even cause eyestrain. If that happens you will have to revert to stock or else modify the distortion file yourself (which is no easy task).

8. Mascot

Mascot
    Card-carrying mod whore Premium

Ratings:
    +359
    Whoah. That sounds amazing.
    Is there a similar mod for the Rift?

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +143
    Exactly, all these hours of R&D and they couldn't figure $50 mod out to gain competitive advantage. And this is for $800 headset? I don't think they are that dumb.

10. Ferenczy36

Ferenczy36
    Premium

Ratings:
    +12
    Been playing on my modded headset for about a week now. No issues to report. Barrel distortion is non-existent. Worked for me...and I'll never go back to those blurry mess fresnel lenses again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sweet Cobra

Sweet Cobra

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up a complete lens/adapter kit to replace the awful Fresnel lenses in my Vive. I am not sure if it's the latest adapter revision or what but I was blown away (way better than my brothers mod from a few months ago). The mod kit that I bought even makes the Vive Pro look like crap! - these also fit in the Pro version so no excuses. Seriously, ZERO Godrays, smearing, ZERO distortion, barrel effect, glare, etc. I think this is the best mod kit out there right now. The people (DCU) that make these kits are freaking geniuses!! Side Note: They basically almost drop in without forcing them in. A buddy bought some other crappy adapters and ended up cracking his lens sockets on his Vive.

Here are the ones I got:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323285586590?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

12. Gaudin

Gaudin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +88
    Jesus, this looks tempting - not shipping to my country sadly - for this price, and with such minimum effort to replace them, wuargh - want some :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.