Any Valve Index Sim racing feedback yet?

I thought that all the cables needed a choke, not just the power cable? Have you tried winding the display and usb cables through the ferrite core?

After attempting all kinds of things I finally tried this at the end and I was coming here to post my success, it worked!!! It still needs some tweaking as I can still get the grey screen for a brief second when I use my left hand to adjust the hmd on my face, but it doesn't always happen maybe 25% of the time and its only a brief second. This is compared to either not working at all and permanently grey screen or not being able to put my hand anywhere near the hmd or move my head much.

I bought 7 of these ferrite cores, the other 2 are currently on some power cables for the Servo which did nothing so I will move those over and see if I can get the cord to run through another loop or two without giving up too much length.

This appears to be the solution though :D

ferrite.jpg

Upvote 0
Fantastic, awesome news! Thanks for the experimentation, and (especially), for reporting your results back to us. When you get a configuration that you're happy with, let us know and post a pic. Thanks again, great job.

Upvote 0
If you don't follow the Thanos controller thread, Thanos has just figured out how to drive the SFX-100 motor controllers at 110V. No need for 220 or a step-up transformer. Only change required is to set a parameter in the motor controller itself.

This is huge news, and should dramatically reduce EMI emissions from SFX setups (especially ground loop problems which can be especially bothersome when combining 220 and 110 systems). Check out his thread for details. 100% worth a shot if you're having EMI issues with VR headsets in combo with SFX setups.

Upvote 0
That is pretty cool stuff.
Motors are typically a bit more efficient at higher voltages with lower current, however since those of us in the US are frequently running 110V into a step up transformer which has an efficiency loss that may balance out.

This assumes the controllers are designed to handle double the current of a 220V controller. Usually current is harder on equipment than voltage since more heat is generated.

Upvote 0
If you guys are having trouble with EMI then check your servo motor power cables. I've bought motors at many different sizes from both mige and no name aliexpress distributors. Each time I've asked for grounded and shielded cables. Each time they say oh yes of course no problem. Each time the cables have been unshielded. I had trouble with a mige direct drive wheel with my vive until I made my own cable for the power that was shielded and that solved it forever.

By the way I first checked that was the problem by wrapping the cable in aluminum foil and wrapping up a ground wire in it from the driver so its grounded. Pretty easy to try before investing in proper shielded cables.

Upvote 0
I am having the same grey out issues. I am running a SimuCube V1. Coming from the original rift that never had this issue to the Index. I will say it is the headset. If I touch the headset I get a grey out if I am in a corner and the FFB is strong I get a grey out.

Upvote 0
I was having issues as well with one of my steering wheels so I took a wire from the ground pan and connected it to my quick release so now it’s grounding through the server motor and it fix the issue so I’m wondering if the headset is not being properly grounded

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Didn't Pimax had the same issue, so they offered affected users better shielded replacement cable?

Upvote 0
The more I read about these SFX-100 systems, and I'm not saying they aren't great for many, but issues like this just make me want to stick with my NLRv3 which has zero EMI issues, no whining actuators, and is pretty much a set it and forget it device. Still tickled with mine. One day I'll probably do something, but not for a while yet.

FWIW I'm still loving my Index. It is absolutely everything I was hoping it would be. I feel like I'm cheating in shooting games. And yes it finally happened, I'm spending more time on a track in iRacing and less time in Rally. Loving the Index in iRacing and I have to say iRacing gets a lot of things very right. The physics are excellent and the queues I'm getting with the NLRv3 are better than I'm used to. Probably because of their physics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you’re getting it greyed out under heavy ffb it might be shaking of the lighthouses. I know mine did that under heavy load when I had them attached to the rig.

Upvote 0
I talked with Tomo of SimRacingBay and Brain Shaon the SimuCube shouldn’t have bad EMI and I have the best cables. Brian is thinking it is an RF issue where the 80/20 rig and myself is acting as an antenna and amplifying the issue

Upvote 0
The external power supply that feeds the Index is not a 3 prong plug with a ground. I realize that Valve just cancelled the USB-C connector so we will never know if it would make any difference if the power originated from the Computer instead.

Upvote 0
The more I read about these SFX-100 systems, and I'm not saying they aren't great for many, but issues like this just make me want to stick with my NLRv3 which has zero EMI issues, no whining actuators, and is pretty much a set it and forget it device. Still tickled with mine. One day I'll probably do something, but not for a while yet.

FWIW I'm still loving my Index. It is absolutely everything I was hoping it would be. I feel like I'm cheating in shooting games. And yes it finally happened, I'm spending more time on a track in iRacing and less time in Rally. Loving the Index in iRacing and I have to say iRacing gets a lot of things very right. The physics are excellent and the queues I'm getting with the NLRv3 are better than I'm used to. Probably because of their physics.

Whatever the EMI issue are, they are well worth the troubles. The NLRv3 is a great motion simulator, but in time it will fail. When it does, you need to send a heavy (expensive) package back to the manufacturer and wait for them to fix it.

The SFX100 is not only superior in motion clues from the NLMv3 ( i had one that broke down), but if something does break down, you will be up and running in no time since you can do all the repairs yourself.

Grey screen of the Index, doesn't bother me at all. I know where to touch it if needed. The tracking is flawless. Haven't even gone through the trouble of trying grounding the USB cable from the frunk yet.

But while waiting for Dirt Rally 2 doing it's massive VR update

I grabbed a complete set of ferite cores and put on the Valve Index cable. It definate helps a lot. Now i can touch the HMD without instant grey screens when the servos are powered on.

Upvote 0
I very much understand your thoughts on the NLRv3 and I'm not besmirching the SFX-100, but I also think some things are still being worked out. I like the packages from PT-Actuators with the Thanos control module. The hardware looks better and more robust and more feature rich (from the hardware side) However I think the driving software still has some catching up to do compared with the SFX-100 in terms of software support and abilities and both are still lagging behind D-Box which has the out of the box usability and wide support of the NLRv3.

I'm going to continue to drive my NLRv3 for the time being. I'm hoping the fact I'm running about 40-50lbs below the rated weight( Me + seat + mounting) and have a sprung seat, will take some of the effort off the motors. In addition the fact I'm a light user compared to some of you hard core sim guys makes me think it should last me a while. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
So I took the base station off the rig and it helped the grey outs while driving. I have a ferrit set on order and will put them on all Index and servo chords this seems to be the answer back in the Vive/Pimax days. Will report back.

Upvote 0
Base stations should not be mounted on anything moving. If you think about it, the base station represents the world in VR space. The world shouldn't move with motion. You and headset - that's what moves in VR space. So, ok for you/headset to move with motion, but the base stations should not.

Also, moving base stations can play havoc with internal base station parts (moving laser mirrors), calibration and other VR software. FYI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 50 27.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 21 11.4%