Any Valve Index Sim racing feedback yet?

Diablo is correct, the base stations should not subject to vibrations or knocks. If I tap mine they shut down the motor inside. I think this is a protection measure, so it's no wonder you're having issues with them mounted on your rig.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The NLR V3 is still awesome. There's nothing that made me think it was going to break. It's solid as, built very well and as far as I'm concerned is probably the best value and easiest to use motion platform out there. Of course that's my opinion so take it how you will.

Upvote 0
Ok I have figured out that the root of the problem appears to be my TL actuator which is different from the other 4 PT-actuators. With it unplugged I can power on everything else and get no grey screen, so long as the hmd cable is wrapped through the ferrite tube 4 or 5x. If I take the ferrite off, then the other actuators will also cause grey screen even with the TL actuator powered off.

This has to mean that the TL actuator is emitting a different frequency of EMI that these ferrite cores are not rated for, right?

Upvote 0
More likely, that TL actuator has different grounding, and you're getting EMI from ground loops. I'd try putting ferrite cores on everything associated with the TL motor and controller, and make double-sure that the grounding of that motor/actuator is good, and to the same point (star ground) to avoid loops.

If you really want to isolate the problem, try swapping motor controllers with the unit on your traction loss. See if the problem tracks with the motor or the controller. Then, you can focus on the bad component with shielding/ferrite/grounding solutions.

If you find the problem is with the motor (if I had to guess, this is the case), then possibly swap the cable assemblies for that motor with a known, good leg. You may very-well find a bad cable with poor shielding/grounding.

Good luck, keep letting us know what you find.

Upvote 0
Maybe im off topic, but I’m have hard times running motion and oculus rift.
I love intense motion profiles and I’m losing continuously tracking. I find myself pressing the recenter button several times every lap and that ruins my racing experience.
It’s really frustrating because it sucks when you in the middle of the corner and you see the cockpit jumps in front of you where you can’t see anything.
I tried the sensor on the rig and off the rig and it’s the same damn thing..... I’m thinking to go ultra wide 49 Samsung monitor, but nothing beats motion+VR.
At this point I think it’s EMI issue?
What do you think?
I put ferrite rings on the sensor usb cable but maybe I should add ferrite rings all along the sensor usb cable?
Any advice?
Thanks

Upvote 0
I had no problems at all with my Rift or Index with motion, but I'm using an NLRv3. Both headsets have worked great with no tracking issues. With the Rift I would have to periodically recalibrate it, but not that often. So it's possible that you have something else causing issues. EMI is definitely a possibility.

Upvote 0
Ok I have figured out that the root of the problem appears to be my TL actuator which is different from the other 4 PT-actuators. With it unplugged I can power on everything else and get no grey screen, so long as the hmd cable is wrapped through the ferrite tube 4 or 5x. If I take the ferrite off, then the other actuators will also cause grey screen even with the TL actuator powered off.

This has to mean that the TL actuator is emitting a different frequency of EMI that these ferrite cores are not rated for, right?

Can you check the power connector of the motor? Maybe one of the pins is loose or pushed back and doesn't make good contact... my cable had silicon glue to avoid pins pushed out.

IMG_20190813_054113.jpg
IMG_20190813_054058.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok I officially got a solution!

I originally bought these (https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/fair-rite-products-corp/2631803802/1934-1100-ND/8593981) which I came to learn helped with just my 4 pt actuators, but my 5th TL actuator which is a different motor seemed to emit a different EMI that these ferrites weren't blocking.

So then I added a bunch of these (https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail...Mk1EJQzshLg==&countrycode=CA&currencycode=CAD) which did the trick :)

Important to note that the number of loops through made big differences. 3x loops did nothing, 4x loops helped quite a bit but still some intermittent grey screening when adjusting. 5x loops like the image below has basically eliminated it 98%. I have to really fiddle with the hmd with both hands to get even the tiniest flicker of grey. I would imagine if I can get it looped through a 6th time it would be 100% fixed but I am running out of cord length here lol.

ferrite2.jpg

Upvote 0
Fantastic news! So glad we could help and you've found a solution. I may retry the Pimax 5k+ now, as I had the exact same issue as you. Will order ferrite chokes you posted above. Great job!

Upvote 0
What seat do you guys use with your index? I'm building my rig and have recently become aware of the fact that most seats interfere with it. The trouble is I need 4pt compatibility for a future motion build. Reclining would be nice too :roflmao:

Upvote 0
What seat do you guys use with your index? I'm building my rig and have recently become aware of the fact that most seats interfere with it. The trouble is I need 4pt compatibility for a future motion build. Reclining would be nice too :roflmao:

As long as you have just a single lighthouse in front facing you, then you can use any seat.

Upvote 0
Hey RCHeli, you might appreciate what sits on the shelf above my SFX-100 equiped sim. :)

Mandatory VR comment: these RC Helis will block my lighthouses in my sim room, what a shame...

Nice! Great setup for consistency and improving your skills at the airfield! I thought about getting a pair of the same heli to work hard, but never could bring myself to do it. These are some of mine that I keep in my office. I'm proud of them. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to show them off.
Helis_4231.jpg
helis_4230.jpg

And the one I miss... but frankly it was so light and powerful and begged to be flown so hard that it scared me. It also ruined every other helicopter for me so I sold it :(
shelfqueen3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It's not just tracking. the Index extends further behind your head. I was brushing against the headrest on my seat with mine. This is just a very very rough but working prototype that lifts the seatbelt up a bit higher and allows it to go wider for comfort and the back of my headset doesn't touch it. If I wasn't using seatbelts, I would just leave the head rest off.

20190813_150206-jpg.319952

Upvote 0
It's not just tracking. the Index extends further behind your head. I was brushing against the headrest on my seat with mine. This is just a very very rough but working prototype that lifts the seatbelt up a bit higher and allows it to go wider for comfort and the back of my headset doesn't touch it. If I wasn't using seatbelts, I would just leave the head rest off.

20190813_150206-jpg.319952
Would a bucket seat be uncomfortable in the headset? Any alternative?

Upvote 0
Would a bucket seat be uncomfortable in the headset? Any alternative?

My experience may not match that of a racing seat. Production car seats are not designed for helmet clearance, so it's possible racing seats will work. That said, I personally think that a quality manual seat out of a production car has a lot more engineering in it and will likely be comfortable for a much larger number of people.

Upvote 0
I use Sparco R100 seat in VR (Index) and there's no problem. You can't rest your head back as the knob in the back of the headset will collide with headrest. But just sitting normally while driving that doesn't happen.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 161 7.8%
  • < 5 years