Anisoptric Filtering and FPS?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Ive been using the Retros at the new track jacurapuagae. And in replay im getting some hefty drops in fps. This is only me replaying myself in qualy, so hardly if any other cars on track. And in car im getting steady 60. The drops to around 40 only happen in replay, and as I love watching the replays in gsc I really wat a nice 60fps to view them in. This is at full GFX. I have a gtx 970 on a i7. So pcars I can pretty much run on full too at a steady 60.

Ive noticed if I lower the AF to x8 I get better fps, the drops mainly occur when the crowds and the stands in view.

Is anyone else noticing fps drops relating to af?

Also @reiza is there a chance to disable car mirrors in replay, as im sure this contributes to the majority of fps drops in replays.?

UPDATE:

I tried lowering or turning off various gfx settings too see what effects fps most. Signifantly not one setting helps really. Opponent detail at lowest still dropped, circuit detail at lowest helped, but still didn't rid the fpd drops, shadows off it still dropped. Im only running 18 cars. Tried 6 cars and still got 10fps+ drop?!

Not one thing actually keeps the game at 60fps in replays.?!

Maybe its just the engine struggling with whats going on

Last edited:
FYI in case you are not aware of it, since you have a GTX970 card you can use DSR - Dynamic Screen Resampling from the Nvidia Control Panel and get much better results. I'm getting around 400FPS in game using resampling of 1920 X 1080 - 4Xs.

In replay mode I was getting close to 600FPS.

upload_2015-6-28_14-10-29.png

Note - best results come from setting Anisotropic filtering to bilinear in game.

No bilinear looks fine - as per my screenshot - that's the beauty of DSR - it reduces the need and overhead of anisotropic filtering.

In the SCE config screen I have AA set to 4. 1 could work too but I never bothered changing it. Also if you are using Nvidia Inspector do not override application settings for filtering and aliasing.

No bilinear looks fine - as per my screenshot - that's the beauty of DSR - it reduces the need and overhead of anisotropic filtering.

In the SCE config screen I have AA set to 4. 1 could work too but I never bothered changing it. Also if you are using Nvidia Inspector do not override application settings for filtering and aliasing.
Is it much different from trilinear? What do you have AF set to in Inspector or CP? Or better yet, can you post your NVidia settings too? Just to see your complete parameter settings. Thanks.

Is it much different from trilinear? What do you have AF set to in Inspector or CP? Or better yet, can you post your NVidia settings too? Just to see your complete parameter settings. Thanks.

I see little difference between bilinear and trilinear using DSR.

Note - DSR is only a viable option if you have a 900 series card using the newer Maxwell architecture. I tried using DSR when I had a GTX670 but it killed the FPS too much.

My Nvidia settings are at default settings - except for DSR. Another side benefit - no longer have to bother with individual profiles for each game.

As for SCE all the graphic settings are at max except Anisotropic Filtering. In the SCE Config UI, AA is set to 4. The Inspector settings are at default ie let the application control those settings.

There are SweetFX tweaks and settings that do make the game look better but I'm happy with my DSR results. Plus SweetFX knocks the frame rate down by up to 50% so I don't bother with it anymore for sim racing. I still do use SweetFX with other types of games ie Mass Effect where going beyond 60 FPS brings very little extra to the game.

Last edited:
Dan, when are you just going to be happy and actually just race? You seem obsessed with perfecting everything and not actually enjoying the games for what they are and what they can do. And that's on everything you play isn't it? ;) If it's not FFB, its graphics.

Next week it will be Pcars turn maybe? Or RRE? Or AC? :)

No bilinear looks fine - as per my screenshot - that's the beauty of DSR - it reduces the need and overhead of anisotropic filtering
No it doesn't, and no it doesn't. The textures of the track in your pic once they go out past around 5 feet in front of you look like a blurred, non-detailed, super low resolution game from 1995.

DSR does not replace AF or make-up for a low AF setting but rather it (DSR) replaces AA and/or makes-up for a low AA setting.

Dan, AF at 8x instead of 16x is almost impossible to visually notice. However, I noticed slowdowns of over 10 fps with AF @ 16x instead of 8x when there were a lot of cars around (especially the start of the race). I advise to leave on 8x - 16x brings about almost no noticeable image quality improvement while lowering fps during certain situations. You can definitely notice the lower image quality associated with 4x though so don't drop it to 4x, but again, 16x compared to 8x is almost, if not totally, pointless.

Point #4 in the following link
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...st-w-practically-no-image-quality-loss.97304/

Last edited:
No it doesn't, and no it doesn't. The textures of the track in your pic once they go out past around 5 feet in front of you look like a blurred, non-detailed, super low resolution game from 1995.

DSR does not replace AF or make-up for a low AF setting but rather it (DSR) replaces AA and/or makes-up for a low AA setting.

Dan, AF at 8x instead of 16x is almost impossible to visually notice. However, I noticed slowdowns of over 10 fps with AF @ 16x instead of 8x when there were a lot of cars around (especially the start of the race). I advise to leave on 8x - 16x brings about almost no noticeable image quality improvement while lowering fps during certain situations. You can definitely notice the lower image quality associated with 4x though so don't drop it to 4x, but again, 16x compared to 8x is almost, if not totally, pointless.

Point #4 in the following link
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...st-w-practically-no-image-quality-loss.97304/

completely agree. and dan, please keep up digging:D

I don't think it's about agreeing or disagreeing. The textures in shot are horribly lacking detail because you are using a super, super low quality AF setting. DSR can make up for low AA because it basically is a form of "Supersampling" anti-aliasing and has nothing to do with AF. Raise your AF to 8x (16x is almost useless). Trust me :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back