AMS 2 = Squealing PC in menus?

Steve Bird

Come On Williams!
I've noticed that in the menus AMS2 causes my PC to have a high pitched squeal. Once I get into game theres no issue but this is the only title that I get this issue on.

PC is 9900K OC by Scan, MSI 2800 Super, ROG STRIX H370-F GAMING with 32GB of DDR4 3600.

Does anybody with a similar set up have any issues?

I've noticed that in the menus AMS2 causes my PC to have a high pitched squeal. Once I get into game theres no issue but this is the only title that I get this issue on.

PC is 9900K OC by Scan, MSI 2800 Super, ROG STRIX H370-F GAMING with 32GB of DDR4 3600.

Does anybody with a similar set up have any issues?

Are you getting massively high framerates while in the menus? I've had that happen to me in the past with rF2 and it was the high frame rates causing coil whine on the GPU.

Same here with rFactor 2 a long time ago. I don't remember what I did back then to get rid of that noise... maybe an update fixed it. Anyway, setting the volume to 0 should fix this problem for
now.

I've experienced this as well. While in the menu, my GPU will revv up to its highest capacity and it sounds like my
PC is going to take off.

My guess would be it is either uncapped framerate or particle effects in the menu. I've had this happen in other games,
too (BF5 in that case). Once back in game, it goes away.

Edit:
to narrow it down maybe, I only play VR. Does it happen in 2D as well ?

It would be cool if we could cap the frame rate only in menus, like CoD: MW we can define a cap for the menu and a cap for the game itself.
As I'm currently running it on a 165hz display, I want to have like 60fps on menus and uncapped in the game. :(

I'll try it... In fps games, people say that capping the frame rate always adds a little input lag.
But I think it'll be cool in a racing game.
I remembered this game has a VR mode, maybe they're making it uncapped in the menus because of virtual reality.
I will try to post this issue there in the bug report topic if it isn't there yet.

Last edited:
It's my GPU, my case is open now and the noise starts from there as soon as I boot the game.
When closing the game the noise stops.
V-sync limits the frame rate to your monitor so the GPU doesn't work too hard on some situations.
I don't like enabling it cause it introduces input lag.
What I do is enabling G-sync on some games.

the frame rate was going up over 800fps in the menus.
Mine does sometimes go to about 11-1300fps.
But I think that is fake numbers.
Im using the Steam fps counter to display it and I just think that its a counting issue - and not anything near the actual numbers.
At least on my system the fluctuation is to large.
Within ½ sec it goes from about 60 to the mentioned 1300 fps.:rolleyes:

To be fair, this technically isn't an issue on the side of the game (though it still might be sensible to limit your framerate in menus a bit). It's an issue with your GPU. It should be able to handle the load without any noise other than fans.

Also why people don't limit their framerate is beyond me. I'm very sensitive about input lag, and I still wouldn't want my framerate unlimited. Limiting it to the nearest multiple of your refresh rate you can sustain consistently gives you a much smoother experience than framerate jumping up and down constantly. And it also helps keep your GPU and CPU temperatures lower, which is something you almost always want.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back