AMS 2 / Raceroom, which one should i choose ?

Hello simracers !

I would like to jump into a new simracing game but i can not make up my mind.

After watching a bunch of videos on Youtube i feel like AMS 2 or Raceroom are the best choices (I already play, AC, ACC, F1 2020 and Dirt 2.0, and i'm totally in love with ACC).

I would like to have some advices from here, i know a lot of you maybe own the two games and can help my choice.

I love the feeling on ACC, i think the FFB is great, in my opinion the behaviour of the car is realistic, the graphics are good too and i like the tracks list and everything about this game.

I have to admit that the F2P concept of RaceRoom is what i don't like, the fact i have to pay every car and track i want ... or buy a pro pack for 50€ and still not having everything in the game, but if the game is really good why not ?!

And for AMS 2, i'm a little bit affraid of the feeling in this game, i've played PC 1-2 and i don't really like the behaviour of the cars, seem's weird to me, with a big lack of feedback in the wheel. Since no track is laser scanned i'm afraid to have the same issue with AMS 2.

Maybe wait for PC 3 ? (lol i'm kidding please no bully)

Thank you for taking the time to give me your advices, peace !

PS : sorry for my english :)

A bit more info on what you are looking for would be helpful. E.g. single player or multi-player? Clearly you like GT3 but are you looking for more GT3 or something different?

RR I would say is currently the more mature sim in areas like AI and netcode but AMS2 is improving fast. RR also has a larger player base so on-line racing is more likely to be better populated.

In terms of content RR is strong in terms of GT3 and touring cars. It has a very extensive range of non-laserscanned tracks including all the big names.

AMS2 is strong in terms of Brazilain motorsport and F1 past and present. Its track roster is expanding to include more big name European tracks and if you like historic motorsport, its range of historic tracks is going to be unbeatable. A few GT3s are on the way but it will never offer the range that ACC and RR do.

Both tiles will run much faster than ACC. AMS2 has the advantage of dynamic weather and day/night.

FFB is so subjective its hard to give advice - I prefer PC2 ffb to ACC ffb which is the opposite to you. All I will say is AMS2 ffb doesn't use PC2 ffb and you can try RR FFB for free with the base game.

The free to play model does have its drawbacks. The RR packs are reasonable value. The dlc you will buy later is more expensive but it seems the days of cheap dlc are over as even Kunos are charging much more than they used to. AMS2 is good value as a base game with more free content to come, but allthough I'm sure the dlc packs will be extensive, there is no getting away from the fact that the season pass is a major investment. As always with dlc you don't have to buy it.

In some ways you can think of AMS2 as a sim in its early days of development. That can be exciting as there are very regular updates/patches and the basic engine is reasonably up-to-date with lots of features that just need polishing. But in the mean time it has its rough edges. RR has had those rough edges polished some time ago. Its just not clear where its going in the longer term. Will the DX9 graphics engine get replaced? Will it better support modern multi-core processors? Will it get dynamic weather and time of day? RR is arguably better today, but it looks like AMS2 will be better in a year or so's time. Do you want a sim for now or are you looking in the longer term.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Great help by David. I would suggest to give AMS1 a try first. Graphics are ok, not much worse than RR. I has great content, physics and ffb. There are many mods available on this website. I believe it is quite cheap now. The Brazilian stock cars (aero touring cars) and the open wheelers are great. The Porsche cup car is also great. The track list is also very exotic.

I also have RR and it has very good AI (as has AMS1). The tracks are great. I would wait for a sale and buy their special credits for great discounts. The cars and tracks are dlc based but it is still much cheaper than IRacing eg.
let us know what you did. And have fun !

Wow !!!

Thank you so much for your answers @David Wright and @GJDriessen ! very detailled and really helpfull.

Sorry i totally forgot to tell you what i'm looking for, please don't judge but i really really really like Hotlap mode ... most of the time, i play with friends in this mode, i barely play in multiplayer (i think i have too much fear of destruction derby style of race lol), and i only play career or single with F1 2020.

In term of cars and tracks i don't have any preferences, as you say i love GT3 i think it's fun to drive, i love LMP, Touring cars, street cars ... but i'm a little bit affraid to have "more of the same" with RR. Maybe the good point with this one is that i can buy only what i want.

AMS 2 have a "uncommon" tracks and cars list and i have to admit that the LMP1 and the Formula roaster make me want to jump into it. It's very difficult to make a choice.

As you say RR seem's to be the most mature sim, the sounds design is crazy (at least on the videos i've seen) and i heard a lot of good thing about the feeling behind the wheel, maybe just the graphics are a little bit old for what i see.

And for AMS 2 this one looks great, but i've read some bad things about the feeling on the brake for exemple and the FFB (i don't want to search for a custom ffb file to have something "good" like i did with PC2).

In term of price, in the end i think the two are the same ... with AMS 2 if i want to race on the most famous tracks with all cars (Silverstone, Nurb, Spa ...) i have to buy the game and the season pass (about 105.96€ on Steam).

Argh !!! too hard to choose lol, i think i'll follow your advice and try RR for free it'll help for sure !

Thank you again guys for your help, i'll tell you which one i choose (if i choose one lol)

I think the advice you've already been given is sound, I just wanted to add that with R3E you can test drive every car without buying and the free content is a not inconsiderable 5 circuits with 16 variations plus 12 cars in various classes.
Worth checking our guide here as well.

hi gringo, I have both games, what I can say is that you need both!
Raceroom is great for its ffb, its diversity, its graphics, but it quickly comes back expensive.
Ams2 is much more beautiful in vr compared to raceroom, with the standard version there is already a lot of content, unusual vehicles like for example the fiat uno.
In short, I have both, and if you choose one ... I'm sure you will take the second later

Hey thank you guy's for your new advices,

I'll give RR a try and download the free version on Steam, i'm worry about the expensive side of it but overall i think it could be a great sim with the vehicules choices that seem's more familiar to me.

It's not that i don't like the Fiat Uno but ... lol

To add to RR being not really as expensive as it seems. I took some numbers just for fun few weeks ago: full price / (number of tracks * cars). With that: RR and AMS2 were very close (~0.04 euro per combo) and "far" ahead of others (ACC ~0.1euro per combo). On top of that for RR, I only counted classes (not different cars in class) and tracks (not different configurations), with that it would probably go even lower.
Any way I turn it I get to conclusion: at some point in future, you will probably have both of them installed. :D

I get to conclusion: at some point in future, you will probably have both of them installed
Agree completely, why not enjoy R3E just now while AMS2 gets their AI sorted. Certainly between them they give an amazing amount of racing. Gring0 as GJDriessen suggested you can currently get AMS 1 with all dlc for very little, it's just over £23 here in the UK.
If graphics aren't a major thing for you then I would endorse his suggestion. Plus so many good mods for it.

Yeah you're right when you say i'll probably end with the two games installed lol ... but for now i don't want to be lost with too much racing games to play.

I already really enjoy myself with ACC, for now this is my favorite sim by far, i just want something "new" to my racing games.

I had a very very little hope for PC 3 like a "fun" game to play with a wheel between 2 races on ACC but for what i've seen ... this is not what i'm looking for.

I think i want an Assetto Corsa 2 :inlove:

RaceRoom is in download and i can't wait to put my hands on it !!! (i think i'm gonna fall in love with the sound design).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back