AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Thought I'd drop this in here as it seemed appropriate, anyone using ACC who is wondering if the new 5800X3D is worh the upgrade, the answer is a definite yes!

View attachment 560362
Yes!
And Linus tech tips tested ms flight simulator, which also shows massive gains.
Apparently all games that are mainly limited by drawcalls get a massive boost.
Which are mostly simulations.

Only the price isn't great yet...
513€ in Germany.
5600x, which is mostly "enough" even in VR costs only 215€ right now.
12900k is 580€ and although worse for simulation games and way worse in power consumption, it has a massive lead for any production stuff...

Yes!
And Linus tech tips tested ms flight simulator, which also shows massive gains.
Apparently all games that are mainly limited by drawcalls get a massive boost.
Which are mostly simulations.

Only the price isn't great yet...
513€ in Germany.
5600x, which is mostly "enough" even in VR costs only 215€ right now.
12900k is 580€ and although worse for simulation games and way worse in power consumption, it has a massive lead for any production stuff...

It's £410 in the UK, albeit sold out @ Scan (my local). Thankfully, I resisted the urge to buy it. The 5600X is 'good enough' for the sims that I play (AC, rf2, Raceroom) in VR.

From the reviews that I've seen, the MS Flight Sim. seems to benefit from the 5800X3D cpu, but that boost isn't evident with X-plane 11.

I think if AMD added this stacked cache to the eol 5000 series chip just imagine next gen chips could all have this type of memory and also Intel will have to follow. Things are looking interesting indeed.

Guys, I'm actually with 5600x + RTX 3080 playing in VR, mostly AC1 (not ACC).. my 5600x can't max out my RTX3080 (works at 85% more or less) and can't achieve 90fps always... do you think this 5800x3D could be a good upgrade? Or should I go for 12600K instead (higher ipc on single core).. Thanks.

I'd rather recommend to either reduce the quadrillion mod cars or poor performing tracks or reduce the fancy stuff from csp.

The 5600x shouldn't have any issues to achieve 90 fps in ac1!

But yeah, the 5800X3D looks very promising for simulation games so if you want to throw out the money instead of sacrificing on the experience, then it's the cpu of choice for your system right now!

I picked up mine too today, but I think it will go back to the store.. it's not actually a game changer coming from 5600x.. few fps more but not that much as these reviews show.. I'm very dissapointed because of the money it costs.. I tested only AC1.

So people playing ACC with 1440p x 3 don't need to upgrade from 5600x to 5800x3d....?!?
What has the resolution to do with the CPU?
If you're using high settings, even a 3090 will probably be limiting before the 5600x.

But if you want high fps and reduce the settings, the 5800X3D can make a lot of sense.

It all depends on your settings, amount of cars and the fps you want to achieve.

Both cpu and gpu have a maximum fps they can achieve. You always get the lower one of the two.
CPU fps are mainly influenced by the amount of cars.
GPU fps are influenced by resolution and all graphics settings.

I got a 5800x3d also from a 5800x. Using RF2 and triple 1440p I noticed the highs fps numbers are pretty much the same, however I can load more visible cars now and the low fps numbers are far higher especially at the race starts and for me that’s what’s always been the issue with cpu bottlenecks with this sim so happy that it’s improved the experience somewhat. Can’t speak for other sims yet, imagine it’ll be the same in race room and iracing as they are single core graphics as well.

Weird cpu though you can’t tune it or use pbo or anything just plug it in turn on xmp for the memory and your done.

Weird cpu though you can’t tune it or use pbo or anything just plug it in turn on xmp for the memory and your done
I personally really like this! Makes things super easy and you don't have to sit there like "mhh.. I do have some very slight stutters here and there... I could invest 10h fine tuning my cpu... Is it worth the effort...?"

No, you got a very strong cpu, it is what it is, now enjoy it. :p

But I'd like to think that AMD binned the cpu and that these CPUs are close to their limit and not leave 15% performance behind locked settings..

Or maybe the cores could all run faster but the 3D cache is an issue and can't deal with any overclocking.
I got a 5800x3d also from a 5800x. Using RF2 and triple 1440p I noticed the highs fps numbers are pretty much the same, however I can load more visible cars now and the low fps numbers are far higher especially at the race starts and for me that’s what’s always been the issue with cpu bottlenecks with this sim so happy that it’s improved the experience somewhat. Can’t speak for other sims yet, imagine it’ll be the same in race room and iracing as they are single core graphics as well.
Thanks for the feedback regarding rf2! Very useful to see that it's not just acc that gains quite a lot!

Makes total sense with your min/max fps.
If you'd check your gpu load, you would probably see that at the low fps, the gpu load is far from 95%+ but gets close to the limit at the high fps.

Btw, I'm waiting for the next ryzen gen to upgrade from my 10600k.
I kinda regret the purchase... I was hoping that the 11th gen wouldn't have the screw up in internal latency...

Should've went with the cheaper 9600k (especially mobo) or waited 3 months and get a 3600x + b550 board, then throw a 5600x in last summer when the price dropped and buy a 5800X3D at the end of this year or so.

I really hope that ddr5 prices will come down and that there will be reasonable choices available for Ryzen 7000 or Raptor Lake!

But I'd like to think that AMD binned the cpu and that these CPUs are close to their limit and not leave 15% performance behind locked settings..

Or maybe the cores could all run faster but the 3D cache is an issue and can't deal with any overclocking.
Not sure its well binned, it would make more sense that these V-Cache stacked chiplets are the lower bins from the monster Epyc Milan-X data centre CPUs but pumped with as much voltage as possible.
For all things other than games unless there is a cache bottleneck, its slower than the 5800x because the frequency is limited to 4450mhz. Whereas a 5800x boosts to 4700mhz by default and can be tuned to boost to 5000mhz easily if you use a good watercooler using the negative curve optimiser. Wheras the 5800x3D has a cap of 4450mhz I think to keep a lid on the heat passing through the stacked V-cach above. I would assume all future chips that use stacked V-Cache will have this issue like a temperature ceiling that is more sensitive. It would makes sense.

Makes total sense with your min/max fps.
If you'd check your gpu load, you would probably see that at the low fps, the gpu load is far from 95%+ but gets close to the limit at the high fps.

Yeah agree its still bottlenecking in the heavy parts but it seems more consistent now. Its nice to know that generally all simulators prefer more L3 cache for the draw calls than frequency.

Should've went with the cheaper 9600k (especially mobo) or waited 3 months and get a 3600x + b550 board, then throw a 5600x in last summer when the price dropped and buy a 5800X3D at the end of this year or so.

I really hope that ddr5 prices will come down and that there will be reasonable choices available for Ryzen 7000 or Raptor Lake!

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. You can never win, I spend far too much time and money messing about with these things instead of just enjoying the games I have.

My gut feeling is its too early to tell, and will wait until its clear which brand is seriously worthwhile and in which use case. I think Ryzen 7000 maybe once they release their V Cache versions. But we still have no idea yet if the infinity fabric will still be a major bottleneck or not.

I'm also kinda annoyed because I invested in a full on threadripper 3970x 32 core and a fast 128gb kit for my 3D work with the premise that this CPU would get updated later on at least one more gen to improve the single core speed (you kinda need both in 3D, a super fast single core for CAD work, and a monster multicore for rendering stuff depending on the app of course), but then subsequently found out they cancelled the 5000 series refresh and only did it for the PRO version which is significantly more expensive again and not as fast single core. So potentially TRX40 is another dead platform, like X399 was but this time after just one generation.

So Intel and AMD are as bad as each other when they have their markets sown up. Intel is due to launch some monster 4x tile Sapphire rapids chip for HEDT, and at which point maybe AMD will release some Threadripper V-Cache refresh to compete (doubt). Or maybe not as they will both end up being just yet another new very expensive platform, and I don't really want to think about how much 128gb of DDR5 ram is going to cost...

I posted my test results here. Some might find them interesting.

Ryzen 5950X here with RTX 3090, 1300 watts PS, four 2 tera Samsung 980 , a 360 water cooler and Neo G9......and 64 GIGs of GSkillz 14-14-14 34 neo mem, WOULD Do it all over again in a heart beat. 100% overkill, I don't care. Yes I run everything max out, Would I recommend Ryzen 100% and I was a Intel FANBOY till now. Had the 5800X in this same rig, both where stellar.

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula Mother board , is my only regret, ROG Crosshair VIII Hero was not available at the time.​

temps are 50 c cpu most times and 70 c on Asus RTX 3090 GPU . No bottle necking, and if there is, I don't care here.

Last edited:
1658153837128-png.255159

index.php

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%