AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Though my computer was very stable in operation after boot up, I'd gone from a start time of about 15 seconds to over four minutes with both of MSI' new BIOS for my X470 Gaming Plus.
It turns out that the Marvell chipset on my SATA controller card was not being initialized in a timely manner by the new BIOS.
I just went through my hardware and found a card with an ASMedia chipset.
The long boot is now gone.

Last edited:
yes mine takes forever to start and close after the first 2 boots of a fresh W10 its all downhill lol
Resetting bios it is twice as long again and puts a single dash on screen blinks at you like a IMB XT
Click on CPU-Z test I barely have time to click stop before it hits thermal and shuts down
I saw 108C ...in windows default bios its 60/65c
I can get it as low as 30-35c and running rF2 okay but only by castrating it ie: setting low voltage, no performance settings whatsoever ...3.8GHz ....... 4.6GHz phftt in my dreams lol

I really regretting my move I should have done as I planned and waited till Christmas

Spring clean 8700 tower ( I have to do before sale anyways )
Pull all SSD and GPU and put back in 8700 tower ...fresh OS ..no biggie
Put new tower/psu /kraken x62 in box ....sad because I love the BT5, new tower and kraken silence
8700 has H110i it has never spun the fans up in its life
Repack mobo CPU good to RMA so box does not get crushed like they sent me
wait for demand of $75 to get hardware back
Buy new X570 board or sell 3900X with unused cooler would recoup most

Happy others are having good run :thumbsup:
Seems more issues with MSI B450 motherboards then other manufactures
Scroll and keep on scrolling .....
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/

I like many there are not sure what to do, now is rumor some boards may not get further bios update

I have another problem getting blue screen installing W10 if wifi is enabled
There is a work around but you still can't use wifi till after the OS is installed then go through the same rigmarole every fresh OS
What if I don't like using LAN, consumer rights says it must perform as stated and clearly that isn't

As I said before when Sandy Bridge raid controllers had issue all manufactures offered anyone affected a refund or swap even if they never used raid

Seems MSI don't want to own any of it and just keep trotting out the same excuses

Top it off if I RMA CPU/Mobo and they find it "works okay" I have to pay 2 x postage and $45 fee
What "works okay" means I have no clue but unless they install W10 they won't see any problem
:laugh: ...if only the rest of it worked as well as desktop it would be brilliant lol ..
throw in a few endless nights with bugs .... you must laugh or you would cry :coffee:
One poor chap swears he tried bios flash 30 times, now that's faith ! ...or sheer desperation lmao
Wow... sounds like a right ball ache...
I'll be able to let you know if I'm having the same issues with mine soon.
Still having to endure a beach holiday in Penang with the in laws and co. #hardlife lol

I was ready to start pulling apart new tower but had a last look in that link and saw a bios
for my Mobo but people were suss of it was not official ....I thought I may as well try it with any luck it will brick the board lol

reset CMOS with screwdriver, back to bios ran msi flash reboot/shutdown clear CMOS again

I could have pinched myself it booted into W10 which meant at the very least NDS bug was fixed as I never touched bios and wifi is enabled by default. strike 1
So I got a bit more interested did a CPUZ bench and no more thermal explosion
Voltages and temps are still wacked but a bit of hope now at least
Now when I wind Kraken up to 75% fans 100% pump the temperature drops
were before it was static
Bios is also knackered to run only 4250 boost but its 100% better then beta bios from MSI

Going to do fresh OS with chipset from AMD not newer one from MSI and do some game benches
As long as it performs in all sims I happy if I never see another tool / benchtest

If the next bios fixes other issues I will take memory back to local store and get some TridentZ 3600
The difference to GSkill F4 3200MHz is $120 I figure I could have blown $75 on RMA if I never saw that link lol

Glad to see you getting it sorted Durge.
Once you do optimize, it becomes an amazing experience running every task.
Every single thing I have done to date with that new processor has been great.
Not sure about the other manufacturers but MSI certainly seems like they were rather ill prepared.
I cannot believe the fact that I had issues with a Marvell chipset...(one of, if not the most common used on SATA controller cards)..and yet nobody found that on BIOS testing.
Are you using Ryzen Master to look at your parameters?
If not, I'd highly recommend it.
Apparently, some of the more common tools we are accustomed to using for taking readings, drive the CPU workload up...resulting in higher temps at what should be idle.
I use CPU-z along with RM.
Some folks like a really silent computer and that is okay...me, I could care less. When I sim-race I have over-ear headphone anyway.
If you don't care too much about fans...and you have three wire fan headers, switch the monitoring to PWM. The fans will then run higher and keep everything nice and cold.
I have my fan profiles in the BIOS set at 20, 40, 60 and 75 degrees to max fan speed.
I'm idling at 35-41 and maximum after hours of stress is now 72-73.5 degrees.
"Keep pushing!"

Last edited:
Yes thanks

I don't mind fans ramping up with sims, I use headphones
Kraken @ 100% sounds like a leaf blower lol
I think if bios gets sorted said performance setting ( 50% fans and pump ) should be enough

What is the max of 3900X 95C I think ?
I have seen 108C ( before bios ) and it never crashed, does that mean it's at least 13C out or more ?

I have bug with Nzxt Cam needs update I really surprised all these companies had nothing ready for Ryzen .......never heard of it with Intel all old version tools etc work

If I installed my normal OS then setup Master it comes back with " you need W10 " ( I have Home retail / usb version ) bug seems to be it can't overwrite VB 2015 that's installed by some other program

If I run Master straight after a fresh OS and whether i install VC 10,12,13,15, 17 it works but as soon as I finish my normal OS setup it stops working again

I tried to track what is installing 2015 but you don't see it in updates or program features
all other VC from 08 to 19 are there
if I tried to install 2015 again it will error but it is present and working

I will track it down by installing everything one at a time then run VC 2015 straight after
then uninstall and repeat with next software / driver / hardware install
eventually I will find it .... lol

Never had anything have conflicts with VC only Master

Is this correct so with Nvidia GPU I can uninstall it ?
OEM Application Profile is a utility developed by Advanced Micro Devices that improves a program or game performance and graphics quality when using a compatible AMD Radeon series graphics card

EDIT : never mind immaterial now

NZXT just updated Cam software support Ryzen3000 https://www.nzxt.com/camapp

Last edited:
Sending it back tomorrow and keeping my 8700, my mate i promised it to is going to have to buy something else :(

On a good note :) ....the only game bench I bothered with was F1 2018

Same track time of day etc

3900X Low 90 - Average 150 - Max 190

8700 Low 124 - Average 154 - Max 194

Yes the 3900X was probably going thermal nuclear and dropping clocks ........... have to be faster then that lol

Agree and I was going too 100% but when the X570 Gigabyte Master in Australia revealed to be almost twice as dear as Z390 equivalents you had to ask how many more fps per dollar is worth it
Like my B450 was $228 ..66% cheaper ( Master here was $629 ) and still had blue tooth 5 and 2 x M2

@Durge...Sorry to hear it didn't work out.
May have just been a 'dud' CPU.
Did you buy the 3900 due to mostly production but with some gaming in mind?
Its too bad the import cost to OZ are so high...there's a guy on HardOCP right now selling a 9700k for 225.
If it wasn't so high you could commit to your sale...then pick that one up quite a bit cheaper.

Don't think so. None of the reviews I've seen had any problems when comparing b450, x470 and x570 performance.
I don't mean in terms of performance, there is no difference, just in terms of getting the mobo to work with the CPU. It seems there are many many problems unless you already have a 2nd gen chip to flash with before installing a 3rd gen chip.

Last edited:
I'll have to do some tests then. I managed to get Windows 10 installed in what seemed like 10 minutes from a USB stick after M-Flashing the latest bios from MSI for my b450 Gaming Pro Carbon just tonight.
Its early days and I've not installed the drivers, utilities or other software I use yet but let me know if there is anything specific I should test for.
One thing I really like about the BIOS is that it gives you OC templates for overclocking your ram. Not seen this option before so excited to test this out to see what sort of performance gains it can make.
CPU was running at 4.2Ghz earlier with ram profile 1 which set the DDR4 automatically at 3200Mhz
Let me know if anyone wants anything specific installed, tested or stress tests performed.

View attachment 316847
Switched all cooling fan monitoring from DC to PWM in BIOS.
The idle temps are now at 35-41 degrees.
CPU-z stress test after 45 minutes run time is right at 70 degrees.
Zero instability issues since installing...even at the higher temps.
A great little CPU.
Try running some real stress tests like this: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/linpack-xtreme-released.247335/ Use all cores and 8GB memory options and do at least 10 runs. That baby lights them up, it's even harder on the cooling than Prime95 AVX with Small FFTs

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 41 10.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 45 11.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 136 34.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 234 59.2%