AMD Radeon 7000

The 7900XT and 7900XTX are interesting products due to the chiplet design.
In a sane World, AMD would have long ago stopped following Nvidia's lead and plotted their own course.
The unfortunate fact is they're both greedy, unethical companies who will do what ever people allow them to get away with.
Their business practices represent the worst of capitalism and it has now come down to the lesser of two evils.
I'm not suggesting either company 'give away' products....just price them fairly.
Research and development, production, shipping and advertising costs plus 30% would still see them make decent margins and yet still not approach what they're charging now.
That seems to be happening less and less.

In Germany there's only party, the FDP (free democratic party, basically THE liberal party in Germany), who's most famous, mostly sarcastically used phrase is:
"Der Markt regelt" = "The market will balance everything".
The problem is, GPUs isn't really a free market with low barriers to entry to which that phrase is applicable. It is currently a borderline monopoly as nVidia has 80 or 90 percent market share, so there's no competition and the cost of entering this market is enormous, so you can't expect new players to enter it and be competitive. Intel tried to, but I can't call it a success yet. AMD could've tried to undercut nVidia and get a bigger slice of this pie, but for some reason they decided not to and priced their new offerings pretty much in line with what nVidia is charging. Was there a collusion between them? Who knows...

Ahhh, so you basically say that the "value graphs" are all **** right now and you want to wait for the amd graphs to change into something better OR if they don't change, you'll buy an AMD 6xxx gen because the value is quite a bit better?

Apart from waiting to see if amd manages to gain performance via driver updates or AMD & nvidia releasing something with better value (which doesn't look likely to happen), I don't really see much reason to wait.

I'd need to actually plot value graphs for something like gtx 570 to rtx 3070 (or rather same price region, lol) to see when were the perfect times o get one.

My gut feel tells me that waiting only meant losing value (with nvidia), since you either waited 18 months to save 15% or didn't wait another 6 months to get better fps/€ than the predecessor ever had.
I never buy at the very top of the scale.
My last mainstream card was a GTX1080Ti which I bought from a coworker who got out of mining.
That is as close to the high-end as I go.
I am a mid-tier guy from the 70 series.
Hence the wait.

For Nvidia, why wait? The drivers are fairly solid from day one and prices don't generally go down.

AMD's prices are more fluid, i always wait around for sub msrp bargains. Also, what if these XT/XTX issues are on the hardware side and can't be simply fixed with a driver. I would rather wait and see, it wouldn't be the first time they sent a problem child out into the world.

Many thanks for that value chart @Rasmus. I can see why i haven't owned an Nv card for a looong time.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that value chart @Rasmus. I can see why i haven't owned an Nv card for a looong time.
If you're interested in the absolute numbers for Germany:
1671216998634.png

You can always wait for the next generation. The longer you now wait, the more outdated the current new cards get. And your previous gen cars will also be worth less in the second hand market. I never do that, I either buy at launch date at MSRP+directly sell the previous gen card or I wait for the next generation.

Buying a card a half year later after launch is imo not the smartest move because then you're already a half year closer to the next gen and the prices stay probably about the same but the previous gen cards are getting more difficult to sell for a good price. So in the end you pay more or about the same but you're longer stuck with a previous gen card. In that scenario you can better skip this generation and wait for the next gen imo.

The 4090 is imo a okay deal, you simply get what you pay for. It's a great product and the performance is insane. Yes pc gaming is getting more expensive these days, but it's still not extremely expensive like for example buying the latest generation cars or something. It's still "just 2k". If you don't want to spend that amount then the 3090TI or 6900 are both great deals. It doesnt make sense to wait if you want to buy something, it's all available now.
Sorry but how can you call a 1700$ GPU a “ good deal”?! For me it’s even 3200$!!! Please

Sorry but how can you call a 1700$ GPU a “ good deal”?! For me it’s even 3200$!!! Please
This is very subjective and very simple: I can finally run DR2 on my G2 with locked 90fps maxed out at 120 percent resolution+4xMSAA and keep zero framdrops. The same for Automobilista 2 and I can even run ACC with most settings on Epic and native resolution. With the 3080TI it costed me months of tweaking and both DR2/ACC never got to work in a state that I wanted. So for me the 4090 is a good deal because it's the ONLY solution to get the sim racing titles running as I want them to run. So it's a good deal for me but not for everyone.

What the heck are guys doing to fit all of these massive new cards?
The things are gargantuan.
Any reported latency issues with those PCI-e remote ribbons?
I have an older Antec 300 case which I modified back in 2011 and have since built every upgrade revision on.
It has great air-flow.
I had de-rivetted and removed the lower hard-drive caddy, then used my air nibbler to modify the area adjacent to the GPU slot.
It allowed for every single large graphics card of that era to fit.
I'm not sure the smallest of these new AIB cards would even fit today.

What the heck are guys doing to fit all of these massive new cards?
The things are gargantuan.
Any reported latency issues with those PCI-e remote ribbons?
I have an older Antec 300 case which I modified back in 2011 and have since built every upgrade revision on.
It has great air-flow.
I had de-rivetted and removed the lower hard-drive caddy, then used my air nibbler to modify the area adjacent to the GPU slot.
It allowed for every single large graphics card of that era to fit.
I'm not sure the smallest of these new AIB cards would even fit today.
Looks like its time for a new case. I had to bite the bullet and buy a new case as I was sick of cutting bits out of my old case each time I upgraded, and then when I upgraded to a Asus Strix RTX 3090 last year thats when I decided to but a new Corsair Case.

No, 7900xt here but just want to say that if you are thinking about an xt or xtx, a lot of Powercolor users are reporting pasting/thermal issues. Best avoided if you don't fancy repasting a brand new card.

Other than that, there is a 600W bios for the xtx going around that pushes it into 4090 territory. You'd need one of the better models with a chunky cooler or maybe a waterblock to take advantage.

Xtx's have a lot of bang if you can find a good deal.

Last edited:
Are you running triples? 1440p? Curious about the performance, specifically in iracing.
Yes, I'm running 1440p triples. Unfortunately I don't play iracing (maybe in the future). I primarily play ACC and AMS2.

I play ACC at High settings and I see between 95-100fps at High settings (view distance at Ultra), and FSR is disabled. ACC is an absolute resource hog, and should be a worst case scenario for any current racing sim. Ultra does work fine, but I want my fps to hover as close to 100fps as possible.

AMS2 is easy to run, and I get 110-130fps at Ultra settings (MSAA at Medium).

The old Assetto Corsa runs even better than the ones above. I don't recall the exact fps, but it's somewhere around 170fps.

For reference, my 7900xtx is paired with a 7800x3D CPU, MSI Carbon x670 with 32GB G.Skill 6000mhz memory (30CL).

Last edited:
Revision Number
Adrenalin 23.7.1 (WHQL Recommended)

Fixed Issues​

• Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Improvements to high idle power when using select 4k@144Hz FreeSync enabled displays or multimonitor display configurations (such as 4k@144HZ or 4k@120Hz + 1440p@60Hz display) using on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs

Didn't notice it was using around 45W@idle (7900xt+single 3440x1440), now down to around 10W idle. There might be a bone for VR users too.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.