AMD Radeon 7000

It's not yet time for me to buy a new video card, but the 7000 needs to surpass a 3080ti/3090 by at least 25% more fps to consider it a viable upgrade. Obviously wouldn't be a concern if I were a single screen user.

Last edited:
It's not yet time for me to buy a new video card, but the 7000 needs to surpass a 3080ti/3090 by at least 25% more fps to consider it a viable upgrade. Obviously wouldn't be a concern if I were a single screen user.
Yeah, me too, but just interesting seeing what's going on.

By the way the rumours are there are two cards being announced tomorrow the 7900XT 20GB 320bit bus with about 10,752 stream processors and the 7900XTX 24GB 384 bit bus, with 12,288 stream processors.

The top one is expected to be within 5-10% off the 4090 at pure rastarisation. May even surpass it in some situations. The design is held back as well capped at 350w leaving a lot of headroom for a 7950XTX later. Moors law is dead was talking about AIBs will possibly use the 4090 cooler designs to save money on development costs to overclock these cards significantly. Those cards may well put up a fight with the 4090.

I'm not 100% but also get the impression the 7900XT is going to make the 4080 16GB look very slow and stupid (which is your 25-30% over the 3080ti and 3090). But only if they price it correctly. Course, the drivers are going to be what kills them though. Has to be a flawless launch, and I suspect there will be issues with the new chiplet design. If they pull it off it will be a first for AMD.

Jim's video is interesting, and makes some valid observations, but he loses the plot at the end unfortunately, which is a shame. Of course, Nvidia will have an answer to chiplets...

Anyway, let's find out tomorrow. If they think they can price the XTX the same as Nvidia 4090 though, it's not good. They have to be cheaper, even if they are as fast at gaming, they still don't have mind share, feature parity, and especially for work tasks Radion GPUs are still miles off.

Available December 13th

RX7900XTX
- 355 watts
- 24GB GDDR
- Display Port 2.1
- Up to 1.7x faster than previous gen
- $999 US :D

RX7900XT
- 300 watts
- 20GB GDDR
- Display Port 2.1
- $899 US :D

Too much other stuff to go over.

EDIT... fixed the 7900XT wattage. 300, not 335

Last edited:
We still need benchmarks, and I think nvidia still wins in a few areas, but it looks like AMD pretty much pulled a rabbit out of it's hat.

Last edited:
I like this, with raster performance no doubt a good leap in VR over the 3080 I have, maybe close to nvidias new offerings it could be a no brainer with the cost.

Its nice to have the fastest, but nvidia is pushing it asking the price they are in comparison for whatever gain they have.

Will nvidia adjust price, will be interesting.

Yeah it looks good. Performance and clock speed were lower than expected. But the prices seem good especially compared to the 4080 16gb. Both cards are faster than it if the top one is on average 50% faster than the 6900xt. But it sounds like they don’t compete with the 4090. Will need to see benchmarks to see where they sit in reality. Also don’t know how they overclock, they were pushing power consumption as a positive. Be interested to know how much if any headroom they have.

There was also FSR 3.0 which uses onboard hardware AI on the die.

Also the new AV1 encoders and much improved streaming quality, this is one of the best things actually.

Good-sized VRAM, interested in the simracing benchmarks, and wondering whether availability will be solid in December as that's kind of late to market for people's Christmas list to be fulfilled.

What a lot of people seem to have missed in all of this, is AMD calling Nvidia's bluff.
They've essentially 'tanked' the game of chicken on the over-supply of RTX3000.
Nvidia kept holding out for the highest price they could muster on those cards.
They refused to lower them to something equitable.
They now have one month to convince people to buy them before the prices drop off a cliff.
It'll be a very hard 'sell' with a rumored 7800XT coming.
With 7900XT costing $899 and having the kind of performance it is expected to have, that 7800XT will probably be no more than $700.
That is what RTX3080-12GB is still being sold for in many cases.
That price is out the window for Nvidia...maybe $590 now.
The longer they wait, the more pain will be inflicted with a rumored 7700XT also in the wing.
Nvidia's greed has finally bit them....hard.

Last edited:
I agree with the logic, although I doubt Nvidia will drop any prices. They still have a crazy mind share advantage. Most people don’t think like you and me in a rational way or accept compromises. Plus, AMD is still represent poor value in creator apps, not forgetting they have bad driver baggage difficult to shake off. But I do think people are starting to wake up now you can get a 6600 for just over $200, a 6700xt for less than $500 and a 6900xt for less than $800. Even Linus of LTT (who is staunchly anti AMD gpu's) said recently he was impressed the drivers seem ok now and they represent great value. Once someone influential like him promotes them things may start changing for the better.

Thinking about it, what seems to be happening is the market pricing on all these next gen cards appears to be based on ray tracing and DLSS performance. 7900XTX poor uplift in raytracing puts it around the performance of a 3090ti maybe a bit higher so $1k makes sense, even though it’s raster performance is way higher maybe 10% slower than the 4090 maybe a bit less. So in Nvidias mind the 4080 16 gb is $ 1200 because it will be faster (because let's say it wins at raytracing by say 30% and has fake frame insertion even though it gets destroyed in raw rasterisation). The 3080 isn’t much slower at raytracing than the 7900XT and I bet they will now magic DLSS 3.0 onto it as soon as FSR 3.0 goes live, hence protecting its price. Also I bet the 7900XTX will barely break even with the 3090 in creative apps in performance. Just like the 6900xt barely broke even with the 2080ti. You have to factor all that in for the price I'm afraid.

Anyway for us simracers these AMD cards could be a very good value option vs a 4090 or 4080 considering that raytracing just isn’t a thing at all yet.

Personally I am waiting to see what the Powercolor Red Devil and Saphire Toxic models do when they overclock the 7900XTX to the moon. Where is the reference model on the power curve? Is it just power limited or is the architecture limited? Does it scale to triple monitors now it has good memory bandwidth? Will it have awful 1% low stutters because of these new chiplets like the 6900xt did for ages (with the new infinity cache)? Is there going to be good supply around launch?

To give an example of headroom, the 6900xt Red Devil ultimate I have clocks to 2800mhz easily even though the reference boost clock is 2250mhz, although the actual performance uplift doesn’t scale as well it’s very good vs a OC'd 3080ti FTW3 (on a single monitor). I’d expect 3ghz is possible on these new models. Which could end up as fast as a 4090. Time will tell…

So It was designed for 3.0 ghz as per the leaks. But sounds like drivers need optimising…

So It was designed for 3.0 ghz as per the leaks. But sounds like drivers need optimising…
3ghz was the rumor I heard for a while. I was surprised to see AMD announce it was 500mhz lower. It makes me wonder if AMD decided to scale it back to leave room for future iterations. Is it possible that AMD is goldbricking to keep nvidia off balance?

Either way, $899 and $999 are easier pills to swallow than $1600. If the performance is close to the 4090 I think it's a much better option for those that don't have unlimited budgets. Nvidia has the performance crown for the moment, and that's great for those with deep, deep pockets. But this isn't a sustainable position to be in. IMO Nvidia has backed themselves into a corner with very little room left to stretch their legs.

Last edited:
3ghz was the rumor I heard for a while. I was surprised to see AMD announce it was 500hz lower. It makes me wonder if AMD decide to scale it back to leave room for future iterations. Is it possible that AMD is goldbricking to keep nvidia off balance?

Either way, $899 and $999 are easier pills to swallow than $1600. If the performance is close to the 4090 I think it's a much better option for those that don't have unlimited budgets. Nvidia has the performance crown for the moment, and that's great for those with deep, deep pockets. But this isn't a sustainable position to be in. IMO Nvidia has backed themselves into a corner with very little room left to stretch their legs.
Yes everyone was disappointed with that, I think maybe they were not confident pushing it yet, after all it’s a brand new dual clock, chiplet design, but maybe in a few months time they will launch a 7950xtx or whatever with faster ram, faster clocks and higher power limit.

Still think AIBs will launch OC cards at 400 and 450w that clock to 3ghz following the reference cards launch. Will see, that post was not confident as they aren’t gaining performance by doing so yet with the beta drivers. But if and when they do those will be more expensive for sure.

Overall I’m glad they capped the XTX at $1k which bodes well for the cheaper models as others have said. Although the 7900XT does not look great being only $100 less given it’s specs are 15% worse. Should actually be cheaper IMO.

All this is just hot air though before we see real comparison numbers. The presentation graphs were quite sketchy only comparing to the 6950xt.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.