Always 100%+ CPU according to CSP FPS slowing my GPU down. - Why?

...I am at a loss.
It seems like regardless of my settings the Game always shows 95 to 105% CPU usage. That causes the GPU (1080 Ti) to never use its full potential - I do get the occasional 90 FPS in the pits, but most of the time it is somewhere between 80 and 85 driving alone by myself with my HP Reverb G1. There is also no change to driving on a Server or driving single player without any AI. Additionally I had the exact same results with my 3600x and now with the 5600x there is absolutely no difference I could tell comparing them.
I am also checking with Ryzon Master and nothing shows any of the Cores maxing out at all. I played around with AC CPU affinity as well, doesn't really do anything either. Overclocking, guess what, no difference at all.
Anybody any ideas other than deleting everything and starting over in hope anything changes?

where are you reading the CPU usage from?
Are we talking about the CPU physics usage? If you get such high numbers alone on the track (no AI) then it might be your steering wheel locking the thread because it is being written to too fast, in that case reducing FF frequency should make things go much faster.

But it's really hard to answer without more info.

Last edited:
I am using the Render Stats CSP to show CPU and GPU usage in real time.
I will check the wheel settings, not sure what to change there though.

When I run the exact same settings on Monitor with 2560*1440 my CPU usage is only <25%. So it is something that VR does and I don't think it is just the Resolution, because I can scale down as much as I want in VR resolution wise and it doesn't change it. (also now GPU can max out to 98%+) - and that is with WMR and Steam VR running in the background, just using AC Monitor instead of VR Goggles.

Last edited:
I changes my tactics and try to measure with fpsVR now.
Can still not run 90 FPS without frame drop but at least it tells me it is not the CPUs fault according to its measuring.
Still not sure though why the GPU isn't maxing out at 95%+ thought.

I changes my tactics and try to measure with fpsVR now.
Can still not run 90 FPS without frame drop but at least it tells me it is not the CPUs fault according to its measuring.
Still not sure though why the GPU isn't maxing out at 95%+ thought.

Apologies if my explanation as to why your 'gpu isn't maxing out' is blatantly obvious :redface:. Your VR headset places a cap on the number of frames that the graphics card can churn out, i.e., 90fps. If you change Window's Mixed Reality settings to 60 Hz, for instance, the gpu usage will fall (& to a lesser degree the cpu...) even further.

I own/use fpsVR and it's great as a VR performance monitor, but it is not very good @ troubleshooting.

If the game is running fine in 2D I'd be inclined to pay close attention to the added mods - SOL, CSP... incl. CM. Have you thought about testing AC in its original state?

If the problem isn't connected to the mods, I've used MSI Afterburner & Process Monitor to good effect in the past - both have a timeline, so it was then a matter of matching when the stutters were recorded in Afterburner, against the processes captured by the Process Monitor app. Process Explorer is also a good tool for troubleshooting.

Bit confused here, but do I read this right, in VR:
None of the CPU cores specific reached the >90% load
The GPU is never reaching >90% load
But still not have an consistent 90FPS, but you can reach 90FPS.
Are you sure all the reprojection, AWS, FPScap, or whatever they called are set to disable.
I always use global 90% max, because most detection software is to slow to measure peaks.

If this is true then the bottle neck is somewhat else, like wrong speed adjustments at the PCIe slot, RAM (low on speed/Gb), SSD full , CPU/GPU is throttling down because of cooling problems, dust maybe.

Have done more testing and fiddling with the CSP and AC settings. It works better now, but the main culprit of FPS dropping is happening with SOL. Need to do more research which version will run best with my Reverb G1 or drop it completely to have stable 90 FPS in online races.

@Vintagedriver01 - Not sure how to deactivate reprojection entirely, but I have turn on the STEAM VR indicator to show me when it starts doing it. So far I cannot tell what it is because just standing in the pits has some weird Frames (what seems randomly) dropping. More testing to do...

Last edited:
I guess this will be my last update. Thank you all for your help and tips.
SOL is the main kicker in my setup when it comes down to improve my FPS. So turning it down or best off is making a difference.
But I also tricked myself by limiting the GPU to a too low temperature which I am almost sure now was causing the "random" dropped frames. I can only suspect that I forced throttling on the GPU because since I raised my limit temperature and raised max. Fan speed I don't get these anymore.

Last but not least. HAPPY NEW YEAR and all the best.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back