Alternate QR solution for OSW/Universal Hub

Hi all - I bought this older OSW wheel off a forum last year. It works pretty well, but the QR solution has a lot of play in it. I don't really know what else might be available so I figured I'd ask here.

It's got a Fanatec universal hub with the USB conversion, then some type of mount on the wheel side with a splined shaft. The play definitely comes from the gold piece in the pictures below. I only have the one wheel, so I wouldn't even mind mounting it directly to the motor with no quick release. Is there something I could replace the gold QR with that might work better in this same configuration?

It seems like opening up the universal hub would be a pain, so something that could use the same ring of bolts to attach to the universal hub seems like the best bet. Thanks

20210328_102406.jpg
20210328_112004.jpg
20210328_112515.jpg

Attachments

• 20210328_112018.jpg
    20210328_112018.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 85
Good quick releases are quite expensive I'm afraid. But to be honest, I've gone through quite a lot of cheap ebay ones and they've all been rubbish.

I now use Xero Play quick releases and they're great. Easy to release but super solid when connected. There are other options though.

Check out https://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/quick-release

Simon has a good selection and I'm sure he'd be happy to talk you through the pros and cons of each.

Upvote 0
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.56.42.png

Remove all the stuff in the red line: gold QR, the black piece it attaches to, the spacers behind the black piece.

Attach the plate behind your universal hub directly to the black plate all the way in the back, it's a 70mm pattern so it'll match. You'll have to move the nuts from the 50mm holes (they're on the inside and smaller diameter) to the bigger holes to the outside.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.02.49.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Ted - I was thinking that would be possible, but wasn't sure.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but by looking at it, the 50mm smaller ring of nuts on the gold QR seem to be nuts that are tightening down on studs that are coming from the inside of the universal hub.

Does that mean I'll have to take apart the hub and try to move those posts/studs from the 50mm pattern to the 70mm pattern? I was looking up the manual for the universal hub, and it didn't look easy to do that, I figured that was done by the SRB USB conversion folks.

Or, do those holes on the 70mm side of the universal hub contain threads? I was thinking I may need a 50->70 adapter and then bolt the 70 side against the wheel side. I guess I should just start taking things apart and see.. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Ted - I was thinking that would be possible, but wasn't sure.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but by looking at it, the 50mm smaller ring of nuts on the gold QR seem to be nuts that are tightening down on studs that are coming from the inside of the universal hub.

Does that mean I'll have to take apart the hub and try to move those posts/studs from the 50mm pattern to the 70mm pattern? I was looking up the manual for the universal hub, and it didn't look easy to do that, I figured that was done by the SRB USB conversion folks.

Or, do those holes on the 70mm side of the universal hub contain threads? I was thinking I may need a 50->70 adapter and then bolt the 70 side against the wheel side. I guess I should just start taking things apart and see.. :)
The SRM adapter should have threaded holes. But you might have to take it apart to remove the M6/M5 bolts that are inside.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back