Alright when was that again.....?

And we weren't in 2001 when Alonso was hustling that Minardi? The gap between the cars used to be much bigger. Now it's around two seconds from top to bottom, Minardi was sometimes five seconds off. It's as if some people here started watching F1 yesterday. The only reason we sometimes saw a bad team get points in the past was due to cars being more unreliable.
True, but back then we hadn't seen 7 years of dominance by one team. We are going to see an 8th year of it in 2021 also, and those drivers that are capable of wins, championships even, have no option other than to make up the supporting cast for Mercedes marketing.

And we weren't in 2001 when Alonso was hustling that Minardi? The gap between the cars used to be much bigger. Now it's around two seconds from top to bottom, Minardi was sometimes five seconds off. It's as if some people here started watching F1 yesterday. The only reason we sometimes saw a bad team get points in the past was due to cars being more unreliable.

Yep, arguing its always been crap is not helping your cause though....

Maybe, but to me it wasn't any less entertaining than any of Hamilton's other championship seasons with Merc, or any of Vettel's with Redbull, or any of Schumacher's with Ferrari, or the 1988 season where McLaren won all but one race, and Ayrton Senna won 8 of the 16 races, with Alain Prost winning 7.
I see. Not entirely sure what the problem was this year, subjectively speaking of course.

I have very high hopes for 2022 though, change is needed IMO and it sounds like it will be great.

True, but back then we hadn't seen 7 years of dominance by one team. We are going to see an 8th year of it in 2021 also, and those drivers that are capable of wins, championships even, have no option other than to make up the supporting cast for Mercedes marketing.

My brain agrees with you. But my fanboy impossible hope wish that Mclaren with the merc engine next year will bring big time gains on the works team. And Vettel, if he's still inside that shell, may be up there as well in my dream season next year.

You left out one big part, it's not just about winning, but winning the championship. Let's say Hamilton did not exist and Mercedes had a pair of Bottases driving for them. The way I see it, they would very likely have lost 2017 and almost certainly 2018 title to Vettel. 2019, maybe a title, but would have been close. This year again Bottas is barely ahead of Max before the final round and that with Max having five DNF's. It is enough to find one driver as in Bottas to refute the claim that anyone would win the title in a Mercedes.

Its not just Bottas, Irvine, and Barrichello never won titles in the dominant Ferrari that Schumacher took to 5 titles. Then of course there is Webber, who never won a title in the car that Vettel took to 4 titles. Berger was in a dominant McLaren, with Senna, and never took the title. So I guess you need a dominant car, and driver? I would have thought this to be obvious, but I guess not

"Greatest of all time" isn't a word
"One of the greatest of all time" is perfectly correct use of English.
You may not like its use but that's your issue and doesn't make it wrong.

Um I used the word wordS meaning the plural, the sentence "Greatest of all time" is composed of words. Those words have a meaning and in that sentence means one thing.
You actually prove my point, TOO many Hamilton fans miss off the words "one of" which change the meaning of the sentence completely and make it correct. :)

Aren't they stabilising things to keep costs down and allow lower teams time to understand the current rules and catch up.
It's stated all the time, should be common knowledge.

That's what they say, but if that's what they are trying it's failed completely and miserably has it not? All it has done is allowed a team to dominate for the longest time in the modern history of the sport.

Although I conceed F1 is in a catch 22 situation, it's whole premise is technology and allowing teams freedom within the rules (oxymoron? LOL) , yet that is the very reason it can be boring.

Although like in WEC, Hybrids make for shite competitive racing, it's introduced such a huge gap between those who can afford to develope the tech properly and those that can't.

Personally I don't see why little BOP adjustments couldn not be made to tweak things a bit, even something so simple as success ballast. That goes a long way to making other series exciting and allows other drivers a chance.

I'll start, here are my best picks

4c7516fe161c81f472bb474983269c4a--t-shirts-book-jacket.jpg

Fernando "All the time you have to leave a space"

Vettel "There's something loose between my legs!"

• Deleted member 379375

Have a chew on this , it just about answers all your criticisms, don't worry I don't expect you to believe it but it good to put the truth out there as there is a lot of disinformation in forums.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54990613

But yes to answer your point no one can really know who is the greatest so the best we can do is say one of the greatest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not just Bottas, Irvine, and Barrichello never won titles in the dominant Ferrari that Schumacher took to 5 titles. Then of course there is Webber, who never won a title in the car that Vettel took to 4 titles. Berger was in a dominant McLaren, with Senna, and never took the title. So I guess you need a dominant car, and driver? I would have thought this to be obvious, but I guess not

With Ferrari that's team orders, Irvine almost won it the year Schumacher broke his leg, Schumacher returned and supported Irvine (I think!).

There's clearly a divide at the top level of motorsports, in the main everyone in F1 is a fricken top driver, but then you further distill the talent in F1 and the cream rises to the top, but the cream is a thicker layer than just one person, and anyone of those in that top layer can win a championship in that Merc.

Have a chew on this , it just about answers all your criticisms, don't worry I don't expect you to believe it but it good to put the truth out there as there is a lot of disinformation in forums.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54990613

But yes to answer your point no one can really know who is the greatest so the best we can do is say one of the greatest. :)

BBC and "truth" are an oxymoron.

read it anyway and what does it prove? nothing unless Schumacher, Vettel, Alonso etc etc were all shite in karts etc? I would imagine you could find anecdotal evidence from the people around the drivers I mentioned above who would say exactly the same things. You get into F1 by being a top level driver (mostly).

Hamilton is clearly a talent and I agree he's ONE of the greatest ever, he joins a VERY long list. :) People like me are narked at the brainless hero worship he gets, especially from those who just bang on about the "stats" (not saying that's you, that's a general complaint in discussions about Hamilton).

Last edited:

Nope, if two drivers are in the best car, one has to be the better driver right?
It's impossible for both to win the title.
Add in No2 drivers etc and there is your answer.... someone is better than someone else, in the 'same' car. Wow.....exciting...

It is a team sport, the most important people are the engineers and car designers.
Whatever Botta's head might tell him sometimes, he is far far better off having been in the Merc, he'd never have won a race had he not gone there for example...

He got out paced by Russell a week ago, yet he'll be lapping him on Sunday...

Go figure..

Last edited:
Some people get very light sysmptoms or none at all but are still CARRIERS of the virus and can pass them on to the more vulnerable who have harsher symptoms and can die. Also you have the statistical chance of a false positive in the testing process. So it's a precaution most of the time to make someone self isolate.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea