Alright when was that again.....?

I have never seen a modern F1 car go up like that,,,,then I am thinking is he going to get out???

So relieved to see him walk away....did not want to watch a man pass away again on live TV like I did with Greg Moore.

I have never seen a modern F1 car go up like that,,,,then I am thinking is he going to get out???

So relieved to see him walk away....did not want to watch a man pass away again on live TV like I did with Greg Moore.

This accident actually reminded me of the Greg Moore accident a lot, and the halo prevented the same result.

This accident actually reminded me of the Greg Moore accident a lot, and the halo prevented the same result.

I wonder if the halo would have been strong enough to prevent Greg Moore's death? He hit the wall head on at an insanely high speed.

Grosjean's accident reminded me a lot more of François Cevert's and also Helmut Koinnig's accidents. Both were killed when their cars went through the guardrails. Koinnig's accident was particularly gruesome: he was literally decapitated. Grosjean cockpit was stuck in between the guardrails, something I've never seen.

Who cares about the race itself? Today only matters that a driver can go home to his family after this experience, so for me Grosjean is clearly man of the day today. Everything else is irrelevant.

Well, I think its an absolute disgrace!
I do get the sentiment why this was born, but the "challenge" is DRIVER of the day. Now, out of some kind of warm feelings, he is driver fo the day?
Tell me; what did he do so well than??

Calm your tits! It's just a forum poll. :)

I do agree that voting for Grosjean is not really in line with the intent of the poll IMO. But hey, it's the internet.

Last edited:
With all due respect, that was Dr Ian Roberts, co-driver of the medical car, going into the flames. Alan was grabbing another extinguisher from the back of the car. Nevertheless they did a great job.

He did make it possible for Dr. Roberts to go in. Before hand it seemed like the flames were too much.

The marshal on the other side seemed to take his sweet time (after his initial shock and grabbing the extinguisher) getting close enough for his extinguisher to have any kind of effect, if it ever really did. The effect of the marshall helping the doctors had a much greater and instant effect on the inferno.

And then there was some marshal just standing there watching the flames whilst Roberts attended to Grosjean. Ah he's out, let it burn I guess.

Initial response of some marshals seemed kind of amateurish to me, especially compared to the medical car crew. But then again, what do I know.

Last edited:
Oh well..... just another fellow classic cars guy, who seems to become yet another hater of me. Just another day... I am making friends successfully.

Either you haven't seen the replays or you're cynical for blaming a driving style on something so circumstantial.

If you have watched Grosjean's onboard camera, you can see a piece of debris going under his front right wheel. Grosjean stepped aside to the right to avoid potential contact from drivers above, some of them with problems: on the first corners, he saw Vettel and stroll touching, a McLaren sparking and another car was out of the track of the left. The decision of going to the right (everything between going to the right and the collision with Kyvat happened in fractions of a second) was the best one from a reasonable viewpoint.

Do you know? When Senna had the fatal crash in 1994, a couple of drivers thought that Senna crashed because of driver error. You probably wouldn't think differently from them.

His driving style killed him, isn't it? The same goes for Ronnie Peterson, because the accident was very similar, and he retired 53 times out of 124 races, so...

Oh yeah you are right about the piece of debris, but I don't think it had that much of influence. To me the situation looks more like attempt to overtake or get into better position. Because there were other ways to avoid contact, like actually braking and not turning into someone by the side. It wasn't best decision to keep on accelerating and trying to squeeze through. Also whole manoeuvre took more than a fraction of a second.

Senna crash is totally irrelevant argument. There is nothing in common with this subject. Also Petersons accident is also different subject, I have not said anything about those, and you just using your fantasy creating an unfair imaginable argument.

What's that b******* of "is amazing to see human this powered, simply leaping out of the fire, out of destroyed car" to understand that most Formula One fans are voting him as driver of the day because of that, and telling that people who voted him driver of the day is because they like to see an aggressive driver tendencious to have a supposed questionable driving style? You have to be a psychopath to think something like you wrote and genuinely believe it, having enough balls and an empty head to write it. Bravo.

When you understand the driver of the day as you said and you comment with cynicism ahead prejudging a formula 1 driver as someone "not very good", these pearls are read.

More than half vote him as a driver of the day for having survived. For many who watched Formula 1 in the last 3, 4, or 5 years, this is possibly the most terrible accident they have ever seen in Formula 1. If security standards were in the 70s or 80s, he wouldn't have survived.

I perfectly grasp the weed of pointing out Grosjean in that final paragraph. I will correct in case there are others who read you and believe you. You don't matter to me anymore at this point.

Listen. I don't care what the most people do. It does not affect me. It is obvious that the crash was very dramatic, and a miracle happened that it did not become a tragedy. The point is that driver of the day should be about performance, good sportsmanship. Everybody with clear mind would rate Grosjean negatively in that aspect. Yet the sympathy for him surviving is driving votes, but that has nothing to do with sport, it is a plot thing. But that is not surprising because I wonder how much this sport is actually driven by the plot and how much by actual sport reasons. F1 has become mini reality TV project.

You are being very rude telling me that I have an empty head, and that I don't matter anymore, call me b*******.... At this point it does in fact apply to you, you are being very irrational, and I partially regret for replying to you as it is obviously going nowhere at this point. Our perceptions are clearly very different, and so are our intelligence levels.

The reason for introducing halo was because of the unfortunate Henry Surtees F2 fatal crash in Brands Hatch, 2009. That started everything and accelerated with Jules Bianchi's fatal accident in the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. Research about cockpit protection started in 2011.

You are probably right about this.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

Maybe this thread should be renamed to
"Vote for the driver who caused an horrific accident ,endangered himself, other drivers and track officials again and miraculously survived" ?

Just a thought

It says vote YOUR driver of the day. Some people vote for Grosjean, I can see that and did the same. Some people vote for Perez, Lewis or Sainz, i also can see that.

Its your choice, your interpretation. There is no right or wrong, so please dont be angry if someone has a different interpretation of the question.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back