Alright when was that again.....?

If all that matters is being relevant to future consumer products then they should just race SUVs with electric motors piloted by self appointed celebrities and youtubers and be done with it.

Sure I wont be watching, but being as it seems to just be a political platform for LH, I started to slowly stop watching as it is after being an avid fan of the sport since the very early eighties.

Electric engines.. all they have done is move the pollution from the fuel pump / exhaust to the battery generation / electric generation plants and miners.

Last edited:
I voted for Other, hoping someone will take over the Honda power plant and re-badge like the old days Mugen Honda and Mechachrome, but hope they carry on with development.
Maybe Red Bull will take it over ?

Honda's departure is to free up the engineering team to focus on their EV program.
A sensible business decision and one that highlights the cynicism around Mercedes Benz approach.
MB claim F1 is a 'research tool', maybe yes but they continue to produce overpriced and oversized petrol guzzling barges.
Perhaps RBR and STR could look into funding a Cosworth or Ilien designed power plant, that might be one way of developing something practical and exclusive.

It is nowhere because MM is not riding it. When he's back it will be a different story. :)

I don't know the moto GP team budgets, but I guess it's peanuts compared to F1 and has a significant impact on bike sales. It is also nothing compared to the costs of R&D involved in producing 0 emission cars in 30 years.

That's what I meant, only Marc can ride it, that means it's a **** bike (and Marc is not of this world!), aparently Honda said "Marc we can increase the air box, but that will impact the front end design and may possibly impact handling"....Marc says "don't care give me MOAR POWAH!!".

So when Marc is out again at some point(and he will crash again and hurt himself again and again, there's only so much damage a body can take) Honda will do ****, it's very short term thinking for Honda to keep the bike the way it is. And the opposite of Merc, we all know Merc can build a damn good car, Honda bikes have been crap for a while (although new bike looking good in BSB this year)

I wouldn't say the dev costs are "peanuts" compared to f1, A moto GP bike costs 2 million developing a bike is getting more and more expensive especially now "aero" as reared it's fugly head. The money Honda save on dropping out of F1 would make a big impact on Moto gp.

Honda's departure is to free up the engineering team to focus on their EV program.
A sensible business decision and one that highlights the cynicism around Mercedes Benz approach.
MB claim F1 is a 'research tool', maybe yes but they continue to produce overpriced and oversized petrol guzzling barges.
Perhaps RBR and STR could look into funding a Cosworth or Ilien designed power plant, that might be one way of developing something practical and exclusive.

F1's problem is that current engines are to expensive to make and run. It's literally an engine which you don't need outside of F1. No other sportscar (unless that one Koenigsegg car) uses a hybrid ICE. Therefore logically would only to be either full ICE or full Electric ... or 3/4 cyclinders, large turbos and a big battery.

But in general, F1 lost it's way. It's all to expensive. Cars, drivers, teams, circuit fees, sponsoring, tickets. F1 has become a billionaires' sport, can't even race there anymore if you're just a millionaire.

That's what I meant, only Marc can ride it, that means it's a **** bike (and Marc is not of this world!),
it's very short term thinking for Honda to keep the bike the way it is.
The money Honda save on dropping out of F1 would make a big impact on MotoGP.

Perhaps with the present situation and the smacking being given to Honda by KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki and (to a certain extent) Ducati, there might be someone who remembers the days of the NSR 'Big Bang' 500 and the decision taken at Mick Doohan's urging to de-tune it.
Smoothing out the power delivery made it easier for other riders to handle, it gave Mick more competition but he still won championships and races.
Currently none of the privateers running Honda's are competitive, while the customer Yamaha's, KTM's and Ducati's are cleaning their clocks.

But in general, F1 lost it's way. It's all to expensive. Cars, drivers, teams, circuit fees, sponsoring, tickets. F1 has become a billionaires' sport, can't even race there anymore if you're just a millionaire.
It's always been like that. When it started car ownership wasn't even common, people went to see wonderful new contraptions. So normal cars were out of the budget of the average consumer, F1 cars would have been like spaceships, only available to the richest members of society.

Maybe there was some moments when it was within reach of less well off people and organisations but for most of it's history F1 has been extremely expensive. Corporations have taken over from rich people is about the only change.

Perhaps with the present situation and the smacking being given to Honda by KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki and (to a certain extent) Ducati, there might be someone who remembers the days of the NSR 'Big Bang' 500 and the decision taken at Mick Doohan's urging to de-tune it.
Smoothing out the power delivery made it easier for other riders to handle, it gave Mick more competition but he still won championships and races.
Currently none of the privateers running Honda's are competitive, while the customer Yamaha's, KTM's and Ducati's are cleaning their clocks.

And I think Rossi asked for the old firing order back (once suspension and tyre tech had developed enough to handle the power delivery!)

Thing is I'd forgotten that Hondas have never traditionally been about handling. It's only recently that the "Honda lane" became the "Ducati lane"!

But if this is just about investing in EV tech then bleh.

Last edited:
It's always been like that. When it started car ownership wasn't even common, people went to see wonderful new contraptions. So normal cars were out of the budget of the average consumer, F1 cars would have been like spaceships, only available to the richest members of society.

Maybe there was some moments when it was within reach of less well off people and organisations but for most of it's history F1 has been extremely expensive. Corporations have taken over from rich people is about the only change.

If you are talking about prewar then yes. If you are talking about really when F1 started in the 50s, not so much.

Sure, big companies were involved in the early years, but all the way up to the 80s, F1 was the domain of the "garagistas" supported by off the shelve engines, like the climax, and later the DFV. It was the world sports cars where the big money was going for years. It was only in the 80s with the turbos that big companies came back in force, and since then, the sport has seen them come and go time and time again, with more and more disastrous consequences.

They keep talking about "road relevance", but F1 is a SPORT, not a way for them to cash in advertisment on their R&D exercise. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
They keep talking about "road relevance", but F1 is a SPORT, not a way for them to cash in advertisment on their R&D exercise. Or at least it shouldn't be.

The advertisement part really also stopped to make sense in F1. If you are not a car manufacturer or related to the car industury it makes little sense to sponsor at all. UPS on Ferrari? Husky Chocolate on McLaren, stichd on Haas (they make socks), Microsoft on Renault? I don't see the connection to racing, let alone F1. F1's best area was before the turbos, when a handful of mechanics could bolt on an engine from Cosworth for 8000 GBP at the time and be competitive.

I want to watch an engineering & driving competition. Not a billionaires' dick measuring contest. If I wanted to watch a billionaires' dick measuring contest I'd watch the top soccer leagues. :roflmao:

For sure RBR will use Honda after 2021, latest statement from Honda we keep supporting after 2021, even there will be the option to go on using the engines in there own hands.:redface:, with Honda’s support:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea