Alright when was that again.....?

herman tilke unfortunately disagrees :) asphalt runoffs ruins the racing and gives drivers like max opportunity to overtake outside the white lines..
happened sometime in Austin.
Dont get me started in Tilke! That man is the main reason for horrible F1 track designs, a thing we're all painfully aware of. He buthered Hockenheim, neutured Fuji, smashed the old õsterreichring in to the now horrible A1 Ring, created the God awful Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Sochi and many more. So no, I'm not a fan. I dont know why he keeps designing the way he does, the man has raced on Nurby, so he knows what a good track is, yet he designs utter drivel.

Last edited:
Firstly it was a great race and they should consider this beautiful track going forward. The problem we have at the moment is the rules and restrictions. At the moment it's all down to the cars, not the drivers, otherwise you wouldn't have the procession of Mercedes, Mercedes, Racing Point, Racing Point, Redbull, Redbull, Ferrari, Ferrari (on average) in practice sessions to qualifying lineup. Hamilton has had a lucky break over the last few years as a result, as no one can touch Mercedes. IMO, he is no better than the rest of the drivers on the grid. Take a look at "Pay to drive" and "Daddy owns the team" Lance Stroll - he's up there, simply because it's a Mercedes engine with a Mercedes copied chassis!

Actually, I think about that a lot, how would it look like if Grosjean would drive in such a Merc. Did you guys see the lap after the 2nd restart where Grosjean beautifully overtook Vettel and Kimi despite having floor damage - sure he fell back later, but it was a beautiful move.

Last edited:
Actually, I think about that a lot, how would it look like if Grosjean would drive in such a Merc. Did you guys see the lap after the 2nd restart where Grosjean beautifully overtook Vettel and Kimi despite having floor damage - sure he fell back later, but it was a beautiful move.
Praising Grosjean in a F1 thread is dangerous. Buckle up for the flak. :roflmao:

I'm mixed about what would be a good move, here is what I think:

Option 1:
- Keep Grosjean
- Get a new talent from F2

Option 2:
- Get Perez
- and a new talent from F2

Option 3:
- Perez
- Hulkenberg
=> Both could be a bargain as this is their last chance for a seat in F2. IMO.

Option 3:
- Get two new talents from F2
=> Risky, but can't fare worse than last place anyway.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Praising Grosjean in a F1 thread is dangerous. Buckle up for the flak. :roflmao:
Bring 'em on.
1ww56u.jpg

Dont get me started in Tilke! That man is the main reason for horrible F1 track designs, a thing we're all painfully aware of. He buthered Hockenheim, neutured Fuji, smashed the old õsterreichring in to the now horrible A1 Ring, created the God awful Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Sochi and many more. So no, I'm not a fan. I dont know why he keeps designing the way he does, the man has raced on Nurby, so he knows what a good track is, yet he designs utter drivel.
The FIA is as much to blame or more, in my opinion. Tilke is not just a man but a company that includes other designers too. Tilke doesn't get to do whatever they want. They work closely with the FIA, circuit owners, and promoters to build an approved circuit and have become the FIA's primary contractor for this. Whether the ideas started with Tilke first or with the FIA, they have settled on a set of formulas and parameters that they think makes the best and safest racing for F1 and try to move every circuit in that direction. Things like almost every modern circuit having a tight T1 of at least 90°, or a chicane, that serves to filter all the cars to a single line. Or an emphasis on heavy braking zones in the rest of the circuit to make sure there are multiple overtaking opportunities per lap.

When set free from those parameters Tilke can design much more interesting tracks. Check out Bilster Berg or Atlanta Motorsports Park!

I would say a decent (not perfect, but decent) solution would be revised restart zone and restart procedure similar to what NASCAR or Indycar has (minus the double-file starts). The zone is the designated area where the leader has choice on where to accelerate within the zone in order to restart the race. The procedure is that the leader cannot accelerate prior to, or completely past, the restart zone. Once the leader reaches the end of the restart zone, regardless if they have begun to accelerate to racing speed or not, the green flag will wave and the race will resume. Drivers cannot pass until they reach the finish line, unless another car ahead is going at a significantly reduced relative rate of speed.

Allow the pit wall to radio their drivers (if they're deep in the field) where the leader is in relation to the restart zone and when/if the leader accelerates within it.

This keeps it fair for everyone since it's not going to be a zone that vastly changes from restart to restart, but at the same time still keeps the advantage for the leader (up to a finite point) since they can accelerate at any point within the zone.

*EDIT* Also close up the maximum following distance to keep drivers from "jumping" the start.

Last edited:
All they have to do is move the safety car line closer to the beginning of the straight like it used to be, why make it more complicated than that?

Speaking of Tilke, it's indeed an oversimplification to blame him for all problems with current tracks. Besides, I never got what's wrong with Hockenheim or Red Bull Ring. Both tracks provide better than average racing, whereas the old Hockenheim due to minimal wings was actually more difficult to overtake on, most races there were really static apart from the 2000 one with rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: dud
For some reason comparisons with nascar keep showing up, but that's going nowhere; those cars are no quicker than some roadcars. These f1 cars have mind-boggling acceleration - 50-200mph in literally a few seconds so it isn't really surprising things like this can happen. It is difficult to appreciate how fast that actually is.

Last edited:
I'm mixed about what would be a good move, here is what I think:

Option 1:
- Keep Grosjean
- Get a new talent from F2

Option 2:
- Get Perez
- and a new talent from F2

Option 3:
- Perez
- Hulkenberg
=> Both could be a bargain as this is their last chance for a seat in F2. IMO.

Option 3:
- Get two new talents from F2
=> Risky, but can't fare worse than last place anyway.

Opinions?
Option 3. Perez is a steady driver, popular in the U.S. & Mexico, and will bring much needed sponsorship cash.

Hulk is likewise popular and steady.

I like Grosjean. He was fast at one time but makes too many mistakes.

Hard to judge how good KMag really os when he seems to have many equipment failures.

I feel Haas needs to put a U.S. driver in the car if only as a reserve. Give some Friday seat time to Newgarden, Rossi or Graham Rahal after the IndyCar season is over. Maybe Jimmie Johnson!

One thing is true: Haas needs to get their arms around brake issues.

Enjoyed watching everyone bend over backwards and tie themselves in knots trying to blame everything and everyone except for the humans at the controls.

It comes down to the humans at the controls. They cocked it up. Blame them.

Last edited:
Option 3 is a sensible one.
They do need to get out from Ferrari's shadow and fix the brake issue as well.
I think Perez and Hulkenberg could move the car's development quite well.

You can barely see whats going on around you with modern cars (for a good reason).
But the downside is that it gets more difficult to judge the situation around them.

In the old days a driver could see much more of their surroundings, now they have to contact the pitwall to ask if there is any damage visible on parts just sitting next to them.
Yess and mirrors where right on edge of cockpit. How are you supposed to see a mirror mounted practically to side pod. Yes Schumacher came up with it to monitor graining of rear tires. But there is a big blind spot right behind so you cant see a car in the slip stream.

Perez as he has a rich father and can bring in the money. And he has skill talent and consistency. Hulkenberg is also good enough. The 2nd seat should go to a American driver. USA is a big market for F1 and we need a F1 driver from there after all they are a American team.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.