Alright when was that again.....?

Would Senna be Senna without Prost? Would Clark be Clark without Surtees & Brabs & &....
The trouble with Hamilton is, early on he had competition. But the last 4 to 6 years have just become, as stated above, boring. The best seasons over the last almost decade or so were Lewis winning on the last 1/4 lap at Sao Paulo and Nico holding on for his championship. The rest have been snooooooze fests. Without a comparable opponent, (i.e. Schumacher/Hakkinan) the season suffers. Plenty of exciting races within those seasons, but once Mercedes figures out their car, the season ends.

Shame it takes 6 championship and more to get recognition... still we rise.
The thing with Hamilton compared to some other drivers that I really consider legends is that Hamilton very seldom had to get out of his comfort zone and when he didn't have the best car he even got fried by drivers like Jenson Button. Not trying to take away from the quality of Jenson Button but I would not consider him to be a legend along the lines of Schumacher, Prost, Piquet, Mansell or Senna, let alone some well sounding names from the 70's and 60's.
Hamiltons chain of success that he had the last couple of years is ultimately linked to the success of Mercedes, while some of those mentioned names earned their titles in cars that weren't necessarily the best. Next to the fact that some of those drivers had to face far tougher competition, far tougher machinery and alot more dangerous tracks. Add to that starting grids with those mentioned names and it just shows how much the quality of the current F1 grid lacks compared to the past. We have 3 former WC on the grid with two of them being in mid or backfield cars. That says it all tbh. You could argue that there are a few glimpses of hope, but if F1 stays the Formula Mercedes that it is currently for the next 6 years, F1 will see a big decline in people following it.

That said, I would like to see Hamilton do what people like Marion Andretti did. Being masters of everything on four wheels and not just "doing their job" or trying to be successfull in something that hasn't a Mercedes tag on it. But that's just my personal POV.

You don't get to come into Formula1...tie your more distinguished, dual-WDC teammate in your opening season and in the same equipment....win your first WDC in the second year after missing it in your rookie year by one point....without being exceptional.
People may not like Lewis Hamilton...for any number of their own reasons... but there is no denying his ability to 'wring' a car's neck while extracting the maximum.
Don't forget though, by that time he had had years of racing experience and particularly, many thousands of miles testing Mclaren cars before racing one. He didn't just come from nowehere.
He is an excellent racer I admit, but I don't like him and I don't like how the British media, and LH himself, try to make out it is ALL down to his brilliance. I think if he had been in a Red Bull the last 4 or 5 years and Max was in the Merc instead then he wouldn't have 6 championships.

For sure Ham is the best. But are drivers like Leclerc, Norris, Max etc only worse, when these guys cars where equal everything would be diff. Ham is the best in the best car. He deserves respect, but it’s getting very boring.:whistling:
Lewis was good even before he had the best cars...go look at his GP2 footage and everything before even it.
So too were Senna, Schumacher and a few others.
It is why they got the opportunity in the first place.
You can't get mad at a guy who consistently makes the best of his machinery, when said machinery was a 'reward' for greatness.

Don't forget though, by that time he had had years of racing experience and particularly, many thousands of miles testing Mclaren cars before racing one. He didn't just come from nowehere.
He is an excellent racer I admit, but I don't like him and I don't like how the British media, and LH himself, try to make out it is ALL down to his brilliance. I think if he had been in a Red Bull the last 4 or 5 years and Max was in the Merc instead then he wouldn't have 6 championships.
On the thousands of hours testing an F1 car...So too did Pedro De La Rosa...in a Ferrari no less.
Alonso did thousands of hours testing for Minardi and Renault as well.
What's your point on that?
Why don't you like him?
Have you ever personally met him?
His result in a RedBull, you can only speculate about.
It is all a bit silly....isn't it?

Last edited:
The thing with Hamilton compared to some other drivers that I really consider legends is that Hamilton very seldom had to get out of his comfort zone and when he didn't have the best car he even got fried by drivers like Jenson Button. Not trying to take away from the quality of Jenson Button but I would not consider him to be a legend along the lines of Schumacher, Prost, Piquet, Mansell or Senna, let alone some well sounding names from the 70's and 60's.
Hamiltons chain of success that he had the last couple of years is ultimately linked to the success of Mercedes, while some of those mentioned names earned their titles in cars that weren't necessarily the best. Next to the fact that some of those drivers had to face far tougher competition, far tougher machinery and alot more dangerous tracks. Add to that starting grids with those mentioned names and it just shows how much the quality of the current F1 grid lacks compared to the past. We have 3 former WC on the grid with two of them being in mid or backfield cars. That says it all tbh. You could argue that there are a few glimpses of hope, but if F1 stays the Formula Mercedes that it is currently for the next 6 years, F1 will see a big decline in people following it.

That said, I would like to see Hamilton do what people like Marion Andretti did. Being masters of everything on four wheels and not just "doing their job" or trying to be successfull in something that hasn't a Mercedes tag on it. But that's just my personal POV.

Driver of the day, not car of the day :rolleyes:

Or were you just getting your excuse in for the reason your 'wonderkid' was over half a minute behind ;)

I don't think you're a fan of Max. But I think he is the only one that can really challenge Lewis, but probably not (again) this year not enough power. Max is better than the car again .. wonder child! And since Bottas only runs one and a half races in the season. It will be another easy year for Lewis. Unfortunately!! :sleep:;)

Would Senna be Senna without Prost? Would Clark be Clark without Surtees & Brabs & &....
The trouble with Hamilton is, early on he had competition. But the last 4 to 6 years have just become, as stated above, boring. The best seasons over the last almost decade or so were Lewis winning on the last 1/4 lap at Sao Paulo and Nico holding on for his championship. The rest have been snooooooze fests. Without a comparable opponent, (i.e. Schumacher/Hakkinan) the season suffers. Plenty of exciting races within those seasons, but once Mercedes figures out their car, the season ends.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's all just a breeze for Merc, and Hamiltion particularly. as with Merc he has only had to deal with 2nd tier team-mates who can now and again put in a good pole lap but fail at race pace and tactics.

"he has only had to deal with 2nd tier team-mates who can now and again put in a good pole lap but fail at race pace and tactics."

You've already admitting to not liking Hamilton and that's your prerogative... Whatever 'floats' your boat.
That said... Neither Bottas today or Nico Rosberg, can be considered 2nd tier...far from it.
I 'love' how guys like yourself seem to try to marginalize good drivers.
With you folks, the chorus is always the same... he has the best car... he has no competition... his WDC don't mean as much... he is a 'wanker'...he gets paid too much...
Did I miss any?
I don't take anything away from any driver of the past.
Not all of them had machinery on the level of today's competitors.
Not all of them were as skilled as many of today's drivers.
It was simply a different era with different machinery and we were all younger and in some cases...enamored for the sport of F1.
People's views sometimes seem to get skewed over time.
Name the competition beyond McLaren, Williams (and Renault in the latter stages) during the Schumacher era.
Name the competition during the Senna era beyond Ferrari and Williams.
That is not meant to take anything away from either Schumacher or Senna.
Here's a fact for you.... Every WDC has had the best machinery whether that was Michael in the great Ferrari or Mika in the years McLaren got it right.
That is not new...or news.
Both were exceptional drivers and deserving of their status in this sport.
Sometime the more things change...the more they stay the same.
I've been here for many, many years of good and great drivers... all the way back to 1971 when I started following GP racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back